FCCL and FOID Data by County

Hap

I've been using the term "FCCL density" to mean the percentage of FOID cardholders who also have IL carry licenses. About 7.4% of FOID cardholders had carry licenses at the end of 2015, as compared with 5.0% at the beginning of the year.

It will be interesting to see how this number changes over time. It's reasonable to suspect that it will approach some number less than 100% and settle down, but I have no idea what that number will be or how long it will take to get close to it.

Anyway, here are the FCCL density figures for the beginning and end of 2015, broken down by county. Note that once again Cook County exceeds the statewide average. (Also, whatever is in the water in Pulaski and White counties, please send some this way.)

FCCL density.pdf

• 5 months later...

Apologies for the delay but I've now got the midyear FOID and CCL by-county data. I'll put these together with past data and add a look at growth rates but for now here is a PDF with FOID and CCL counts for each county, broken down by gender, along with three columns showing the percentage of FOID cardholders who have CCLs, also broken down by gender.

The PDF is the result of a fair amount of massaging of the raw data, which itself was provided in PDF form by the ISP and reformatted into an Excel spreadsheet. It has not been proofread and errors may have been introduced during the conversion process, so beware. Please let me know if anything appears questionable.

FOID+CCL BY COUNTY 2016-06-30.pdf

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've deleted the original post for the time being. The FOID #s appear to be inconsistent with other FOIA response data. I'll repost after the discrepancy, if any, is resolved. The CCL #s appear to be OK but please don't quote any of the original post until I get things nailed down.

Edited by Hap

Here's a PDF with the YE2016 counts by county and gender. Note that there is a "Null" line in the data. County values of "Null" may be test data, errors, or who knows what, but I've included them in the totals as though they were valid.

I'll post again with comparisons with past reports but wanted to get this out now. To get right to the point: as of YE2016, IL residents had 2,413,716 active FOID cards (1,628,960 M, 784,756 F), and 215,382 active CCLs (178,804 M, 36,578 F). 8.9% of FOID holders also had CCLs.

attachicon.gifFOID+CCL by county and gender YE2016.pdf

Interesting data.

There are about 12.885 million people in Illinois at the end of 2016

With FOID card holders being numbered at 2,413,716

That means 18.7% of Illinoisians have a FOID. It should be noted that number does not mean there are that many gun owners or even gun enthusiasts. You need a FOID to purchase black powder items for high power rocketry, historical reenactments, etc.

Only 1.67% Illinois residents are CCL holders. That seems very small to me

Based upon a 2015 report 26.2 % of residents own guns in Illinois

No one knows the average of guns per owner as there is no registeration in place

Not sure how the numbers would be heading downward what with the increase in FOIDs in the last year and the boom in sales at LGS's

http://reverbpress.com/politics/firearms-per-capita-by-state/

And in another study Illinois at 12,800,000 pop equaled 11,400,000 number of guns owned in the state

Cool to mention also the correlation to countrys as the relate to the size of gun ownership in this study

http://thefederalistpapers.org/second-amendment-2/chart-shows-how-all-50-states-rank-on-gun-ownership-compared-to-nations-around-the-world

Based upon a 2015 report 26.2 % of residents own guns in Illinois

No one knows the average of guns per owner as there is no registeration in place

Not sure how the numbers would be heading downward what with the increase in FOIDs in the last year and the boom in sales at LGS's

http://reverbpress.com/politics/firearms-per-capita-by-state/

And in another study Illinois at 12,800,000 pop equaled 11,400,000 number of guns owned in the state

Cool to mention also the correlation to countrys as the relate to the size of gun ownership in this study

http://thefederalistpapers.org/second-amendment-2/chart-shows-how-all-50-states-rank-on-gun-ownership-compared-to-nations-around-the-world

Where data comes from, what data is used, and how that data is presented are all relevant things to consider when looking at information like this.

For example, your first link... which shows that in 2015, 26.2% of Illinois residents owned guns.

That 2015 report was based on a 2013 online YouGov survey (here's a brief article summarizing their results), which invited 11,471 people (age 18+) nationwide to participate, 5,392 people started the survey, 4,622 people completed the survey and out of those, 4,000 were chosen to represent the national sample.

So out of those 4,000 people, some (an even split would be 80 people per state) were Illinois residents, and 26.2% of them indicated that they owned guns.

This is a perfect example of why I take most statistics with a grain of salt.

Edited by Glock23