Sig P365 poor holster retention

Illinois Sucks

For those that have a Sig P365, how well does it fit your holster? I run AlienGear Cloak Tuck holsters and every one I have has really good retention. The guns kind of snap into place and need a decent tug to pull out. It seems like most of the retention is done around the trigger guard area of the guns. The P365 has a narrow trigger guard and a wide trigger which seems to limit how much the Kydex can be molded around it for retention without hitting the trigger. AlienGear sent me a second shell which is a bit better than the first, but it still does not have that "snap into / out of place" feel the others do. It feels like it is mainly friction holding the gun in the holster.

What holsters do yo have for your P365? How is the retention on yours? Is the problem with the gun design or the holster I am using?

Does the cloak tuck allow you to tighten the holster retention?

I can't see how this is the gun makers fault LOL

Does the cloak tuck allow you to tighten the holster retention?

I can't see how this is the gun makers fault LOL

Yes, you can crank the friction up but the gun never "clicks" into place.

In the second video above, you can see where I highlight the area on the first holster I show (Walther PPS) where the Kydex is molded to the front of the trigger guard to keep it captured in the holster. On the injection molded S&W Shield shell I show next, they actually put a lip in that same area to capture it. With the Sig P3665, the trigger is pretty wide compared to the trigger guard limiting how much of a lip they can make there for positive retention feel.

I am not saying something is wrong with the gun, just that perhaps the design makes it harder to get good retention built into the holster.

Can you heat with hair dryer and apply pressure with a pencil to just make a dimple at the trigger guard?

I have never worked with Kydex before but I suppose I could. I would be concerned with the possibility of the trigger being pushed against though. The first shell I got was lightly molded on the gun and you can see in the second video was really flat in that area. The second shell I got is molded slightly around the front of the trigger guard but you can see where it also went far enough to mold around the trigger slightly. It is a bit concerning that the trigger is being touched by the holster.

Pictures of the two shells to compare trigger guard / trigger area. I have an appendix carry Kydex holster I had custom made when the PPS M2 first came out. The Kydex is molded into the ejection port which aids in that positive retention feel. Maybe I will try Tim's idea and heat it up and push the Kydex into that area.

post-17485-0-51659300-1540652075_thumb.jpg

post-17485-0-47209000-1540652117_thumb.jpg

post-17485-0-05524100-1540652135_thumb.jpg

You might want to try their ShapeShift 4.0 when/if it becomes available for the P365. I've requested they add a Hi Power shell... no luck so far. Looks like better retention than the Cloak series holsters and the shells are polymer rather than Kydex.

They are pretty responsive to questions via the green HELP button, lower right.

Get a real holster. Kydex shells with leather/synthetic backing suck in my opinion. Their selling point of weight distribution across a larger surface area of the belt/waist is a scam. All I see is a recipe for the gun falling out during a scuffle, snags, or during unholstering.

A wrap around kydex holster that is molded to your specific pistol, and “clicks” when seated. Also has some kind of modular belt loop (whether it’s enclosed loop, c hook or j hook) is the best way to go.

Bravo concealment

Black rhino

Pj holster

Dara

To name a few...

I've got a Vedder LightTuck (for all my carry firearms).

Really a great bargain as well. I've carried it daily since I got the P365 in April and attended a couple of shooting courses with it (drawing, shooting, moving, repeat). No issues other than having to snug up the retention screw every other month; which could probably be solved with some blue locktite.

To be honest... after going through the 'box of holsters' with my first carry gun. Once I tried the Vedder I haven't even looked at another holster for my last (2) acquisitions.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't made the purchase yet, I'd mentioned/recommended these folks in another thread:

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/collections/holsters/products/protos-m

They're a little spendier then average, but they're very small, tuckable, breathe incredibly well, and stay put. The Protos-M also wraps around the trigger guard with a screw going through both layers of Kydex to allow you to explicitly set retention to what you feel it should be.

Bri

I've had my Vedder LightTuck for two days now.

Nicely finished. Stays put with one clip.

Good retention. Better than any of my hybrid holsters.

Very fast fulfillment even with some customizing.

They aim to please.

Now I'm looking at that Protos-M from Black Arch.

I like the idea of a small two clip hybrid with adjustable retention around the trigger guard.

Right now they don't make one for the HiPower.

Lots of custom color optionsand a really cool holster simulator so you can see what yours will look like.

I appreciate everyone's input. With the recall on my Walther PPS M2, I have had to speed up the switch to EDC my P365. I started carrying it yesterday and found that the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 does not allow me to get a full grip on the Sig like I could with the Walther without running into the holster. I am checking out those that have recommended other options. Thanks again!!!

post-17485-0-90488100-1542551821_thumb.jpg

post-17485-0-59994100-1542551830_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well... not long ago, I was set on buying a Vedder light tuck. Last night, I ordered two black arch protos Ms. A right handed one for a sig 938 and left handed one for a sig 365. Anxious to try them out. Won't have in time for trip to Naperville this weekend though.

I'll be honestly curious to know what you think: I personally really like them, but I'd very much like to hear from someone else to see if my opinions align with the general public.

Bri

Archived