Unknown hand gun

illinois_buckeye

Cool. Thanks for the info. I am still new to hand guns. Got a Taurus g2c, it's had a couple hundred rounds put through it so far and I like it, but as I'm seeing 40 caliber available, I wouldn't mind being able to switch out like that. Time to save my pennies.

If you are wanting to switch between buy either a Glock 22 or Glock 23 as the sig p320 is expensive for modularity

You can't with 100% reliably swap a Glock from 40 to 9mm with just a barrel change. The breech face dimensions are different enough that it won't eject reliably. Or really any handgun for that matter. Slide+barrel would definitely work though, and I've done that myself as well, with a number of pistols

Euler is right though: 40->.357 SIG is a simple matter of a barrel swap, since the case dimensions are identical at the head. I think 10mm <-> .40 would also work this way...

The 41AE / 9mm combination guns are out there. Most Tanfoglio mfg. (CZ Clones) brought in by what was "Excam and FIE" (which became EAA). The base of both rounds is exactly the same and all that's required is changing out the barrels and return spring (double spring for AE). Magazines are slightly different at the mouth to accommodate larger diameter 41.

Could be he was looking at the 41 combination gun. Ammo is now pretty much strictly reload and IMI was primary supplier of ammo with some Speer to be found on rare occasion. Limited reload by a couple of small reloading outfits in the past also. The brass is "gold," but can be made from 10mm brass...

I usually never pass up any brass or loaded rounds that I come across...

Without a fair amount of 41 brass to go with the gun it probably will not be anything but conversation, brass being the problem. That said the 41 round in the few I've owned were good shooters and the reloads could be loaded up hot with 210 grain JHP's.

Where or who had the gun? PM?

Dad is from Ohio, so not in this area. He didn't really say where he saw it, just that he'd been looking at one that you could change out barrels etc.

It came up because I've seen more 40 ammo than 9mm available and so I wouldn't mind having a gun that shoots 40, but I do have a few boxes of 9mm. So it would be nice to have one that could handle both. I'll have to ask if he remembers what model he was looking at.

With the Tanfoglio guns some were dedicated mfg. in 9 and some in 41 which also (in MHO) caused the gun to fire/handle the dedicated caliber to be more accurate than the drop in barrel. Could also get the 9mm barrels/return springs from EAA and do your own fitting in the 41 guns without the "combination" being original way offered.

Saw Browning HP converted also...

Rumor that Beretta 92 was out there but could never find a 41 barrel for one of those.

Davidson's was the distributor if my memory serves...

Damn few of us out there that liked the caliber and the current (last couple of years) developments in 9mm defensive rounds have eliminated the need. Still prefer it to the 10 or SW40, but that's just me.

Not really sure what type it was, my dad was telling me earlier he was looking at a hand gun in 40 caliber that had an interchangeable barrel to 9mm.

Anyone heard of this? He didn't mention what kind of gun it was but I'm definitely interested.

Google on "9mm conversion barrel". It's usually not a simple drop in. Lone Wolf, Barsto, Storm Lake are brands that come to my mind. I'm sure there are others.

Common for Glocks. Available for other guns.

Archived