AKS kit build w/pics

Federal Farmer

Did you grease the Flat before trying to bend? I found Spray White Lithium Grease worked well.

Yeah, I got some kind of blue bearing grease of some sort. High temp grease.

From test placing the bolt rails, it looks like I'll have to drill through them to install the support pin. Can that be done easily after the rails are heat treated? I'm not sure how easy it will be to drill them prior to welding them in place.

I'd be wanting to drill before heat treating.

I also have to grind down the 'oversized mag stabilizers' on the rails as well. Same rails for AK74 and AK47, they are made larger than needed and trimmed to suit.

Link is to the flat/rails I'm using.

You might want to poke around here :

Pookie web AK build instructions

He went into a lot of detail.

I'v also got 6.3 MB of information from the old Surplusrifle web site Pm if you want it.

Also Arizonia Response Sysrtems has a lot of information.

Great links!

I'm still trying to decide whether I will use the drill and weld rails from outside or weld them to the inside. Also whether I will try to do it myself or phone a friend.

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered the updated flat bending jig from ak-builder.com. I've been using the old one with his pre-bent and trimmed top rail flats. According the the proprietor, this leads to the crease that runs just under the top of the rail along the sides of the receiver. Also ordered a new flat to start over on the bend.

How hard has this been so far? What level of difficulty woukd this be? Seems far more complicated than an AR build. I'm curious. I might want to do one myself .

I haven't done the hard parts yet, which is heat treating the receiver/rails and welding the rails in place. So far it has been simply following instructions and attention to detail.

Thanks, but I have motor oil.

That's cool. The truck takes 3 gallons each change, so I usually have 6 at any given point. It just ends up getting recycled.

I'm enjoying your build thread BTW, thanks - good stuff.

Thanks! I've been posting them on Facebook as well to scare my friends.

No photos yet, but I made my first attempt to heat treat my AK receiver this weekend. I got one of the FC holes red hot and quenched. All seemed to go well. However, it was very windy out and I couldn't maintain a steady flame so I put it on hold for better weather.

The good news is I didn't set myself or anything else on fire!

I am very happy for you David! Your determination is inspiring. Keep at it!!

Yeah, wind can play heck with a flame. How long does it take your Bic to heat that metal adequately? ;-)

Zippo.

I've been reading up on this because a friend of mine wants an AK. So I was reading on building them. It seems much harder than building an AR. What sorts of tools do you need (so far) and will need for the future? Will you be riveting yourself? How about barrel installation?

Is this something worth doing (break even or save money) or is it better to find a built rifle?

I've been reading up on this because a friend of mine wants an AK. So I was reading on building them. It seems much harder than building an AR. What sorts of tools do you need (so far) and will need for the future? Will you be riveting yourself? How about barrel installation?

Is this something worth doing (break even or save money) or is it better to find a built rifle?

If you buy the tools and build just one, it is not even break even. However, if you can borrow the tools (and mine are borrowable) you can save a few bucks if you don't count your time.

For me, it isn't about saving money. My day job results in virtual results and I enjoy the sensation of building something tangible with my hands.

I'll get pics of my AK-specific tools soon.

That would be very helpful. The "step by steps" I've been finding are pretty bare bones. And I feel like if I post on ar15.com someone will snap my neck and nag at me for not using the search bar; or will snap at me for reseructing an old topic...

I know some people who have more advanced tools like presses and such. I'd essentially buy a parts kit and a pre formed receiver and build from there. I am not a welder by any means. Great info; please keep us up to date. I too enjoy the sensation of building something myself. If I can break even on the build for my buddy; I'd be happy. Even if it only costs a little more it'd still be fun. But I don't want to get in over my head.

That would be very helpful. The "step by steps" I've been finding are pretty bare bones. And I feel like if I post on ar15.com someone will snap my neck and nag at me for not using the search bar; or will snap at me for reseructing an old topic...

I know some people who have more advanced tools like presses and such. I'd essentially buy a parts kit and a pre formed receiver and build from there. I am not a welder by any means. Great info; please keep us up to date. I too enjoy the sensation of building something myself. If I can break even on the build for my buddy; I'd be happy. Even if it only costs a little more it'd still be fun. But I don't want to get in over my head.

You should take a look at www.akfiles.com Lots of info on that forum for nearly anything AK related. I've been able to learn a lot about "rust bluing", and I may use that process for my next project's finish.

These are the tools I've purchased (I think I haven't left anything out) not counting the usual set of tools a man must have :hairy: .

Press ($129)

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

Flat Bending Jig ($170)

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30083

Barrel Press Kit ($95)

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29978

Trunnion Rivet Hole Drilling Fixture ($65)

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30060

AK Front Trunnion Fixture ($28)

Support Plate for removing and installing barrel pin ($20)

Long Rivet Jig ($??)

Short Rivet jig ($170)

Trigger Guard Riveting Jig ($71)

http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm

BernzOmatic OX2550KC OxyMap Torch Kit ($60)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98894-13877-2880538_0__?productId=3513550&Ntt=torch&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtorch&facetInfo=

• 2 weeks later...
Did the rest of the heat treating on the receiver. I managed to get pretty good at getting the torch to the correct type of flame for heat treating. After the last quench the oil on the receive caught fire, which I quickly put out with a rag, but otherwise it was pretty easy to do and fun. Pics soon.

How do you check your temps, it makes a big difference if you get to hot or not hot enough. There was a big problem with early make 1903 springfield recievers as they were not heattreated proper adn were week.

You probably heat it up to the "curie point". You can use a magnet to determine once the metal loses its magnetic properties. There's probably a better way - i.e. with a no contact thermometer, but I only know about the magnet method. A buddy of mine uses color - but I have no clue or trust in that method.

Archived