Disarming yourself every time you go in to a GFZ is not practical

Hmmmm...joined yesterday, 4 posts total, posting ridiculously off-base version of prohibited places and signage law...anti troll or really bad CCW training? If the later, ask for a refund. There are plenty of folks here who can put you right on what the law says. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Good observation. The new version of SWATTING?

What if you're working under the FCCL? Does it negate the GFZs at all?

Would you elaborate on your question a little more. Not sure what exactly your asking.

Does the FCCL have the same GFZ restrictions as does the CCL?

Isn't the CCL and the FCCL one in the same thing? There is only one license to carry in Illinois, so the GFZ signs apply to your license.

The official short name of the law is Firearm Concealed Carry Act. It allows the issuance of a concealed carry license. Unofficial abbreviation of FCCL or CCL. Other places CCW.

The gun free zones, GFZ, discussed here are usually those designated in the FCCA as the forbidding the carrying of a concealed weapon.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

I think this is relevant when talking about stowing a handgun in vehicles

PUBLIC SAFETY (430 ILCS 66/) Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

I open the glove compartment and the then quickly put my handgun in it. It remains mostly concealed in my holster, which covers the majority of the weapon. Also, my hand covers the top of the weapon. There is alway a possibility of the handgun being seen, but the probability factor of the handgun being seen is very very low.

Funny it's like Cadillac's were made for this. I have a 09 STS and the center console opens perfectly to fit my cz or walther inside and the "key slot" for the wireless key happens to hold a single stack magazine perfectly. I just remove my firearm and sticky holster and slip it perfectly into the center console.

When I used to commute to Chicago from the burbs I off person carry. Just removed my gun in the car and slip it into a backpack holster. I'd ride metra and the L like this. My job didn't have any posted signs but it did say in the employee handbook no firearms on site. I'd just leave the gun in my backpack locked in my drawer at my desk in my office. I know it's not allowed but I'd rather have it then not especially since I commute through the south-side of the city.

Unfortunately, I now work in IN at a steel mill and there are no firearms aloud at all on premises and they have frequent car/person stops and checks. If "contraband" is found you're immediately written up which pretty much means you're getting fired. But on the bright side commuting to IN is no where as bad as commuting through South Chicago.

I carry a model 84 Beretta, and when I encounter situations where I have to "ungun", I do as follows. I remove the mag from the weapon and place it in the holster. I leave the unloaded weapon in the vehicle. With out the mag, the weapon is rendered inoperative, it will not fire. Thus, if it is stolen from my vehicle, it is of no value to a miscreant. I also carry a copy of the serial number in my wallet in the event the weapon is stolen to facilitate reporting to police.

I know not all weapons operate this way, but ungunning may be something people should think about when they purchase that first carry weapon.

I carry a model 84 Beretta, and when I encounter situations where I have to "ungun", I do as follows. I remove the mag from the weapon and place it in the holster. I leave the unloaded weapon in the vehicle. With out the mag, the weapon is rendered inoperative, it will not fire. Thus, if it is stolen from my vehicle, it is of no value to a miscreant. I also carry a copy of the serial number in my wallet in the event the weapon is stolen to facilitate reporting to police.

I know not all weapons operate this way, but ungunning may be something people should think about when they purchase that first carry weapon.

The flip side to your magazine safety is if you bump your mag release you die holding a brick.

It's far easier and safer to remove gun and holster together for stowage.

Archived