Rauner's Gun-Bill Veto Was Timed Accidentally, but Perfectly

InterestedBystander

Full story at link...

Capitol Fax today and syndicated site as well

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/rauners-gun-bill-veto-timed-perfectly

Rauner's Gun-Bill Veto Was Timed Accidentally, but Perfectly

By Rich Miller

..."Governor Bruce Rauners veto of a gun-dealer licensing bill last week took a lot of folks by surprise. It probably shouldnt have.

We'll get to the politics in a second, but as with HB40, the governor was acting on his beliefs. Rauner is a strong abortion-rights supporter, so he signed HB40 last year to provide public funding for abortions and protect womens right to choose if Roe v. Wade is reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Governor Rauner also says hes an NRA member. And hes been railing against government regulations of business his entire adult life. This licensing bill checked both of those ideological boxes.

Okay, on to the politics.

After the disastrous two-plus-year state-budget impasse, HB40 gave him an opening with suburban women last year and you can't win statewide without that demographic.

Last weeks licensing-bill veto allowed him to throw some red meat at his GOP base a few days before the primary.

Getting on the front page of every newspaper in the state and leading the local TV news coverage and inserting himself into conservative talk radio shows would tend to help the governor with Republican primary voters.

And the more the Democrats scream about that veto, the more Rauner's base is shored up at an important moment. That may sound cynical, and it most definitely is, but it's difficult to deny. He upset a lot of conservatives by signing HB40. He needed to make it up to them"....

All those who are p***** at the governor over his pro choice leanings are free to feel that way. Turning on him to get your revenge could

cost us all our gun right. We live in the hear and now where Abortion is legal. Don’t vote for him and deal with the consequences when you have to leave the state or give up your guns. It’s the ultimate cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

Frankly I think Ives has a better chance of beating any Democrat then Rauner does so I don't think it could cost us any rights, voting for Rauner is the gamble there's a good (almost certain) chance he will loose against any Democrat.

I don't believe that Ives has a large enough war chest or the ability to raise enough money to compete with pritzker state wide. JB has put almost 70 million dollars into his campaign at this point, Ives cannot compete with that.

Frankly I think Ives has a better chance of beating any Democrat then Rauner does so I don't think it could cost us any rights, voting for Rauner is the gamble there's a good (almost certain) chance he will loose against any Democrat.

Just because shes the one you want to win doesn’t mean what you say is true. Bottom line while campaigning is money wins and she can’t compete with rauner unless she has someone backing her.

I don't believe that Ives has a large enough war chest or the ability to raise enough money to compete with pritzker state wide. JB has put almost 70 million dollars into his campaign at this point, Ives cannot compete with that.

https://illinoissunshine.org17f2b933d55a54c3497dea221c3cf14e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

All those who are p***** at the governor over his pro choice leanings are free to feel that way. Turning on him to get your revenge could

cost us all our gun right. We live in the hear and now where Abortion is legal. Don’t vote for him and deal with the consequences when you have to leave the state or give up your guns. It’s the ultimate cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

+1

People should appreciate his veto too and vote for him to give a strong showing to win in November.

Anyone who actually, sincerely believes that Ms. Ives has a chance against any Democrat, please PM me, I have a great deal for you on some prime real estate in Russia. A vote for Ives is a vote for the Dems. Have all voted who wish? Have all voted who wish? Have all voted who wish? Oh yeah, and I'll toss in some dandy Bitcoin advice too. :) That's my 2 cents

I have to say Rauner has always done what he has said. He believes in pro choice - yes, I get it, it's not a conservative view, and voted his belief (and what he said he would)... he believes in 2a and has shown that he supports us. Like someone up above said, don't let that sway your vote to Ives. She doesn't stand a chance. Look at the numbers they spent on their campaigns. If it ends up Ives v Biss - maybe she does, but against those 8 digit budgets? NO way. Frankly, I am also being very interested in this nonsense that the democrats are propping her up and the recent allegation of "I'll work with Mike Madigan."

The only thing keeping us going these days is the check valve of Rauner. Remove him, pop in any D or someone who owes the D party, we are totally hosed.

For me Rauner is the only vote.

Can talk about vetoing or not vetoing, but I can guarantee one thing. If Quinn had won last year we wouldn't have two vetoed bills as it stands now. Molly has stated several times how open the Governor's office has been to hearing 2A concerns, the trimming of the backlogs of under reviews/appeals at ISP. Guaranteed we wouldn't have that had Rauner not won or if he loses in November.

Rauner is simply the only choice, Ives doesn't stand a chance. If Pritzker wins we can say goodbye to a lot more rights until it is settled in court. They're already going after preemption in the CC act, can only imagine what's next especially if Pritzker wins.

Every election it is the same, can't vote for Trump, won't vote for Rauner, can't vote for the lesser of 2 evils etc... Then come on here complaining about how our rights are being trampled.

Every 2 years it's the same arguments.

the recent allegation of "I'll work with Mike Madigan."

I have been hearing nonstop ads on NPR with an audio snippet of her voice saying that, I don't think it's just an allegation

I hear that snippet but I also want to hear full unedited audio of what came before and after...context is important.

Archived