Photo

With CLEO requirement for NFA items likely gone, what could effectively be done to bring them to IL?

NFA Silencers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 EngChi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

A question to the forum  is in the topic title - with CLEO sign off likely to be removed , what (if anything) could be done to bring NFA items to IL. In particular I am interested in sound suppressors as health and public nuance issue...  if (God forbid) I have to ever use a gun inside of the home, I would love the option to suppress it , as the idea of having to run around looking for hearing protection to put on wife, 4 year old, and new born at the same time, or near certainty of dealing with long term/permanent hearing damage is not a fun one..

What could be done other than moving to Indiana?

Thank you

#2 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

Suppressors and autos are banned by name so the only way to get those is to pass a law to the contrary. Doubtful full autos will ever be available to us.

But seems like every year they bring up a bill to allow us to own suppressors and it gets shot down.

I agree that it just makes sense to allow us to use suppressors. Our hearing is more important than some fantasy the antis have that everyone is gonna be running around like ninja assassins after passing that bill. Just more non-reality based fear mongering legislating from your IL government. What else is new. If you can get out just do it. You're better off for many other non-gun related reasons as well.

Edited by mic6010, 09 January 2016 - 11:48 AM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#3 KarlJ

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

Well, we got SBR's in IL
I'm certain getting suppressor's is realistic. We have the right people working on that and I think they can get it done.

I wish legislators had to prove their reason for infringing on our constitutional right. The fact is that these NFA items are not used for criminal purposes.

Edited by KarlJ, 09 January 2016 - 11:58 AM.

"Waiting periods are only a step.
Registration is only a step.
The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."

Janet Reno

U.S. Attorney General

1993-12-10

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the governments ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton

1993-08-12

#4 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

aside from court action nothing I fear

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#5 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Well, we got SBR's in IL
We have watered-down SBRs, they can have <16in barrels, but still need to be >27in OAL Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#6 heckler40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

I would like to see the following, in order:

1) Remove FFL03 requirement for NFA (SBR) ownership (this is now redundant as of 180 days of filing 41F in the Federal Register, approximately July).

2) Allow trusts to hold NFA items

3) Suppressors

4) Machine guns

#7 heckler40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

Well, we got SBR's in IL
We have watered-down SBRs, they can have <16in barrels, but still need to be >27in OAL Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OAL requirement is 26" or greater.

http://www.ilga.gov/...SeqEnd=71300000

#8 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

1) Remove FFL03 requirement for NFA (SBR) ownership (this is now redundant as of 180 days of filing 41F in the Federal Register, approximately July).
3) Suppressors
4) Machine guns

1.5) Remove 26in OAL requirement for SBRs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by defaultdotxbe, 09 January 2016 - 03:07 PM.

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#9 heckler40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

3) Suppressors
4) Machine guns

1.5) Remove 26in OAL requirement for SBRs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

+1

Forgot about that one.  The only reason I personally would like to see it is I'm a HK PDW fan :)

#10 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

Yeah I was gonna say, aside from pointless sub guns that shoot pistol rounds pretty much any rifle SBR is greater than 26 inches.

Practically speaking you're not losing much of anything really. A semi auto MP5 might as well just be a Glock 17 instead.

Edited by mic6010, 09 January 2016 - 03:23 PM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#11 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,404 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

I think we have a fair chance of getting suppressors in the next few years.  So many states have already approved them, what 5 states left?  Illinois does seem to like being the very, very last.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#12 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:23 AM

During the Town Hall meeting, POTUS referred to suppressors as "dangerous weapons." My hearing protectors are dangerous, too, if I use them as a blunt object.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#13 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

I think we have a fair chance of getting suppressors in the next few years.  So many states have already approved them, what 5 states left?  Illinois does seem to like being the very, very last.

The big sticking point is Madigan and Cullerton. Once they've retired or voted out (or in Madigan's case, die of old age) then we have a chance of getting something done. Let's not forget that Illinois is very-pro gun, it's just that we've been held hostage by people like Madigan and a long string of anti-gun governors forever, and now that we have a pro-gun governor, we just need a pro-gun speaker in the House and Senate. We already have the necessary support in the general assembly.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#14 gearsmithy

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

Has there been any progress on HB0433? Looks like we just added another cosponsor

#15 vezpa

Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

The big sticking point is Madigan and Cullerton. Once they've retired or voted out (or in Madigan's case, die of old age) then we have a chance of getting something done. Let's not forget that Illinois is very-pro gun, it's just that we've been held hostage by people like Madigan and a long string of anti-gun governors forever, and now that we have a pro-gun governor, we just need a pro-gun speaker in the House and Senate. We already have the necessary support in the general assembly.

Someone worse will replace them.  It may be a hard, grueling search but someone worse will replace them.  Maybe even little Lisa.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those

who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.

- Thomas Jefferson

#16 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

I hope you're right but think you're nuts unless there is some court case pending

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#17 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

Still need to get rid of Tax and Registration.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#18 RacerDave6

• 3,487 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

Todd us usually up on all this NFA stuff. 

I haven't seen any posts from him.

Anybody heard from him?

Maybe he's busy heading off Bloomberg and the Moms....

Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#19 RoadyRunner

• Members
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

Anybody heard from him?

He's been out at SHOTshow. Posting to Facebook fairly regularly.

IC Supporting member
NRA life member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#20 RacerDave6

• 3,487 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

Anybody heard from him?

SHOT doesn't start till next week.
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#21 junglebob

• 6,116 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hecler40 said in post #7 that OAL requirement is >26 inches.  I know SBR stands for short barrel rifle, what does OAL stand for?

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#22 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

I would absolutely love a Scorp Evo SBR or Kriss Vector SBR in 9mm with a sound suppressor and 3 round burst for home defense.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#23 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

Hecler40 said in post #7 that OAL requirement is >26 inches.  I know SBR stands for short barrel rifle, what does OAL stand for?

Over All Length

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#24 headcase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

OverAllLength Length of the firearm from the end of the barrel to the opposite end. Stock extended.

SSDD
He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

---------------------------------------------

Applied 3/5 #57xxx

#25 Nic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

Anybody heard from him?

SHOT doesn't start till next week.
Pre-SHOT show festivities started yesterday. Today and tomorrow is multiple range days for various groups and manufacturers. Monday is the official Shot Show media range day and then the show starts on Tuesday. Most of the fun stuff is over by the time the show starts. It's the pre-show stuff that's super fun. When the show starts, it's all business. And parties but that's business too.

Edited by Nic, 16 January 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#26 lifebreath

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

Well, we got SBR's in IL

OAL requirement is 26" or greater.

http://www.ilga.gov/...SeqEnd=71300000

I believe this is a misreading of the law and have had this discussion with a number of people. Clarification was giving originally to ATF regarding the two clauses of the paragraph. In that clarification was pointed out that clauses A and B of the paragraph were fully independent of one another and complete within themselves. As the statute reads, one can own a rifle with a barrel (or barrels) less than 16" if:

A. the person has a C&R license, or 

B. the person is a member of a reenactment group, etc.; and the OAL > 26"

Thus, the way it is worded applies the OAL provision only if one does not have a C&R, but is a member of a reenactment group.

In most cases, it's a moot distinction, since the OAL of an AR type SBR is not likely to be shorter than 26" with stock fully extended. My 9" 300 BLK is 27.5 fully extended, excluding muzzle device.

Regarding silencers, I think it will come in the next toward or two.

Edited by lifebreath, 29 February 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#27 Dcompton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

Well we all think the same thing on the OR interpretation. However, the ATF sees it differently and is not approving stamps on anything less than 26" no matter what the case A or B is. Ask me and my Brugger and Thomet TP9 how we know.

#28 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

Well, we got SBR's in IL
I'm certain getting suppressor's is realistic. We have the right people working on that and I think they can get it done.
I wish legislators had to prove their reason for infringing on our constitutional right. The fact is that these NFA items are not used for criminal purposes.

Didn't we essentially sneak the SBR law under Quinn's nose and got him to unknowingly sign it? If so, we should do the same for silencers.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#29 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Yeah it was a giant ruse that took a couple years to yield the end result. Had to keep it hush hush until they couldn't do anything about it. I don't know how his readers missed it haha. Clear as day. Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#30 stm

• Members
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yep! Somebody merely changed "and" to "or." It's amazing the difference one word can make.

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .