CCW permit holder badges?

riverrat61265

well sadly this forum isnt really a cut above any others in the pile on the new guy mentality or trying to be the smartest guy in the room because illinois cc has been around for so long anyway. yall are experts.

at what who knows?

you have our sincerest apologies for the rude behavior of some of our members. you will notice we addressed that an earlier post.

Riverrat,

Look on any gun forum out there. Forums like The Firing Line, The High Road, Sigforum, and many other forums that have been around longer than this forum even dreamed of. Ask about CCW badges. You'll get the same responses. As long as CCW badges have been on the market, their purchasers and wearers have been considered either wannabes or on the low end of the IQ scale.

There's no need for anyone here to apologize.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

guys I don't think the original poster had any ill intent or miss conceived ideas of being a wannabe cop, like most of us the thought has crossed his mind that what if I have to use my weapon, how will the police know I'm the good guy. If you haven't thought about that, you need to, or re-consider carrying. Like most though, I think this is a very bad idea to accomplish that goal. Like the OP when I first saw these, I though, hey that would be an easy way to accomplish this, then the analytical side of my brain kicked in and I realized it was in fact a bad idea for the very reasons you all have described. IMO the best way is to remain calm make no sudden movements, keep your hands where they can see them, Announce that you have a carry permit, and then comply with all orders. Also be prepared to be cuffed and temporarily detained until they check out your credentials, In IL the way our self defense climate is, I would fully expect to take a ride as well.

I've been in that situation a few times and kinda wished I had one to flash at the arriving PD. At least in two instances, I was backing up an officer in trouble and he had ID'd me and they didn't freak on me when they came up behind me and I was behind him with my weapon drawn.

Twice, I was solo and as I heard them coming, I thought to take out my wallet and 'wave' it which gave them pause and they didn't shoot, but approached and I holstered and pointed out the BG and let them know what I thought was going down.

Having a drawn, or even holstered firearm when PD arrives at the scene can be touch and go. I've also been jacked up and tossed over a hood once too. :drool:

To answer the upcoming questions, asked or thought, I've been carrying longer than most here have been alive and my shop is on the border of the Newtown Gang, MS13, Hillside Gang, and the Blackwell Group. At least 80% of my AO is in high crime areas.

Here's a fun instance. I pull up to a job and didn't want to see the client armed, so I opened my toolbox to store my pistol. As I drew it and had it pointing upward, LEO's came around both sides of the truck! :drool: I held real still and said I was just putting it in the box. Finger was off the trigger, but it might have gone bad. One looked around and said I'd better keep it on me and they were answering shots fired. I heard 3-4 bangs right behind us and asked if that was it as they took cover. He said yes and I told them to relax because it was a framing nailer. :flowers:

First of all, let me be clear that my personal opinion on carrying a CCW badge is "bad idea". The Glen Tate book series 299 days provides a compelling use of them....

To the point, I can't imagine that possessing or carrying a badge, in any form, is illegal in any particular state or locality. The exception being if that badge falsely identifies the carrier as a police or other law enforcement officer. There are a million types of badges in a million cnfigurations. Some firemen have badges. Security officers often wear them.

I often wear an ID badge at meetings I'm working because they are required. They often include my name and the logo of the meeting. At one meeting I was required to wear a specific pin on my meeting badge that signaled to the Secret Service I was allowed to be backstage, and just where I was allowed and not allowed to go in the backstage area.

The union I work for, and many other unions and service employers, use badges to identify employees (please lets not turn this into a union flaming post). My union's symbol often gets mistaken for Chicago Fire Department symbol.

It is a consitutional right for me to wear a badge, it is part of my first amendment freedom of speech (expression). Unless a person flashes the badge and identifies themselves as a police officer, or attempts to detain someone, they are not impersonating the police. In a law class I audited, there was a case we studied which involved a CCW license holder stopping a fleeing criminal by drawing his weapon, opening his jacket to reveal a "Licensed to Carry" Badge, and screaming "Stop, Police!". He was acquitted of the impersonating a police officer charge because his lawyer succeffully argued that those were two seperate statements, screaming "Stop!" and screaming for the "Police!".

My point in this post is that some members here should be careful where they draw lines sometimes. It is a freedom issue for someone to have the choice to carry a badge that identifies them as someone who is Licensed to Carry a concealed weapon. Like many other rights, it's not a choice I would make but I would defend anyone else who made the choice.

Good God, not this topic again !!

Yeah, it with the "hurr durr make evere 1 opin carrie!" pop up about every other month.

In fact the "force everyone to open carry," thread is overdue.

Where's Kurt when you need him?

He's over at opencarry.org

well sadly this forum isnt really a cut above any others in the pile on the new guy mentality or trying to be the smartest guy in the room because illinois cc has been around for so long anyway. yall are experts.

at what who knows?

I'm personally sorry that your reception here was not friendlier. Don't let the yahoos bring you down on the IC experience overall, as there are many of us here who will be more than happy to help out a newby. I haven't been here all that long myself, and have been given some really good advice and answers on questions that I've asked. Yeah, we have our share of jerks, and we get carried away sometimes, but once you get used to us you'll come to love tolerate us. :cool:

RiThere's no need for anyone here to apologize.

wrong! anyone who has been rude or disrespectful has violated the code of conduct and should apologize.there are better ways to respond than some of the responses posted.

Nobody has been rude or disrespectful. People are telling it like it is. Apologies are for people who can't handle reality.

Well I can say this thread helped me reconsider what I would do in the event that I was forced to draw my weapon in self defense. I would hate to be charged with impersonating the police if I held up my open wallet and yelled call the police. w00dc4ip, well said!

I might just add to my initial thought: hold up my open wallet, yell I have a permit, call the police! That should work.

I might be confused here, and I am not in a place where I can research the statute, but doesn't it say something to to affect that you must verbalize that you're a law enforcement officer before you can actually be charged with impersonation?

Otherwise anyone driving a crown Victoria, or impala could be nailed because "it looks like a cop car".

A persons perception of a situation does not constitute an offense. There must be a specific act or statement.

Laws vary by state though, and I agree that the badge is not really the best choice. They do make a ccw panel that's blaze orange and reflective, but folds up like a cell phone case when not deployed.

at what who knows?

Hey brother – don’t take it personally!

I’m not saying that people should be rude to you but you know how us guys can razz a friend. Please take it like that – friendly razzing.

Also, just because the majority thinks it’s not a good idea, remember we are ALL entitled to our opinions. Yes, you may get razzed for the comment but the razzing is just fo9r the IDEA, not YOU PERSONALLY.

Fair…?

RiThere's no need for anyone here to apologize.

wrong! anyone who has been rude or disrespectful has violated the code of conduct and should apologize.there are better ways to respond than some of the responses posted.

Nobody has been rude or disrespectful. People are telling it like it is. Apologies are for people who can't handle reality.

Wrong.

Again.

Posts # 3,6,8,15,16,21,33,53,63 are rude and I can't tell about #30 cause I don't know what it means.

And the most insulting of all is your comment about apologies are for people who can't handle reality.

I'll apologize. Sorry for being rude and piling on.

Long ago I saw a CC badge in an Amry Surplus store near Fort Knox. It did look cool. I did not buy one right then and was kinda anti gun at the time, not knowing anything about guns. It DID put a thought in my head about learning to shoot and being able to carry and all the reasons you might want to carry. I never did buy one... After seeing other guys get razzed on old bulletin board forums I realized it was just a cool looking piece of tin with no authority.

If you are involved in a shooting incident, I imagine the first thing a cop will want to see, after disarming you, is your carry permit and FOID. Anyone can carry a cheap badge. The permit identifies you as authorized.

Hope you hang around for a long time and teach us something else,

Tim Norris

at what who knows?

I'd say this is one of the more cleaner forums out there. Ever been to ar15.com?

yes i have been to ar15.com otherwise known as if you dont own a colt you dont have a real ar dot com.

i was just curious about them, seems reputable badge makers market them as well as cheapos on ebay and amazon. Not having heard of them before i had no idea they were scorned. next time ill just do a search on the forums.

No need to search the forums. Just post it here so we can all bash you..............................

I'm KIDDING !!! :P

Oh NO !!! Here Comes Molly !! :nono:

.http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/02/41/35/400_F_2413519_yEbTzrFlmeW3HIJpqEFGvIJKqijcUV.jpg

i was just curious about them, seems reputable badge makers market them as well as cheapos on ebay and amazon. Not having heard of them before i had no idea they were scorned. next time ill just do a search on the forums.

I guess people must be buying them or they wouldn't bother making them anymore. It seemed like a reasonable question to me.

Somebody posted earlier about Corrections uniforms looking like police, and asked if they ever get misidentified as being such. I work for Corrections, won't wear my uniform shirt if I have to make a stop or two on the way home, will ditch my belt, too. I don't want to be mistaken for something I'm not, by the good guys or the bad. And, no, my badge is not in my wallet.

As for the CCW badges, I think it's a bad idea. Too much room for confusion, don't need any of us being accused of being a "wanna-be cop" ( the next time I read that phrase I think I will hurl). I think if you're going to carry you should already be in the mindset of being VERY observant, being aware of your surroundings and the situation you're in, and, God forbid, if you find yourself in a situation where you know the cops are gonna come you better know exactly when they get there, and you better be screaming to the high heavens that you're legally carrying, or something to that effect. I'm not saying over-think things, just plan for multiple scenarios in your head, so you can be as prepared as possible if you do end up in a really bad spot.

You know, lot's of people come here looking for information about things we have some expertise on. It's a function we've been filling very well and, in fact, our membership has more than doubled in the past 6 months or so as a result. And with these growing membership numbers comes more strength to fight for our rights.

This thread has pretty much been the opposite of how it should be working.

(that's not directed at you howie)

Archived