CCW permit holder badges?

riverrat61265

ok hate to admit it but I had never heard of them before and had only come across some searching ccw ideas on pinterest. they looks much like a official officers badge with concealed carry permit, ccw on the face. the examples I saw were either in a wallet with your ccw permit or cliped on or near the holster. Makes it more official looking. I think it might be a nice addition and make a time when you may have to identify yourself as carrying and a legal ccw holder to a leo go a little smoother.

thoughts?

The more I carry, the more I like to dress down. Tactical look attracts too much attention. A badge would make you a target in more ways than one.

Gee, guys. How about a simple, "not a good idea" and stating why. Sheesh, talk about piling on a new guy who may be seeing some of these things for the first time.

I'm embarrassed for our ambassadorship - let's lighten up and be more generous with new members.

Molly is right.

CCW permit holder badges are just ******* stupid. :rofl:

ok hate to admit it but I had never heard of them before and had only come across some searching ccw ideas on pinterest. they looks much like a official officers badge with concealed carry permit, ccw on the face. the examples I saw were either in a wallet with your ccw permit or cliped on or near the holster. Makes it more official looking. I think it might be a nice addition and make a time when you may have to identify yourself as carrying and a legal ccw holder to a leo go a little smoother.

thoughts?

The more I carry, the more I like to dress down. Tactical look attracts too much attention. A badge would make you a target in more ways than one.

Dress like those around you. Don't be "that guy" wearing 5.11 pants and a t-shirt from random gun company with a random ammo manufacturer ball cap.

Gee, guys. How about a simple, "not a good idea" and stating why. Sheesh, talk about piling on a new guy who may be seeing some of these things for the first time.

I'm embarrassed for our ambassadorship - let's lighten up and be more generous with new members.

Molly is right.

CCW permit holder badges are just ******* stupid. :rofl:

:nono:

(720 ILCS 5/17-2)

(d) False law enforcement badges.

(1) A person commits false law enforcement badges if he or she knowingly produces, sells, or distributes a law enforcement badge without the express written consent of the law enforcement agency represented on the badge or, in case of a reorganized or defunct law enforcement agency, its successor law enforcement agency.

(2) It is a defense to false law enforcement badges that the law enforcement badge is used or is intended to be used exclusively: (i) as a memento or in a collection or exhibit; (ii) for decorative purposes; or (iii) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film, or television production.

While it's a stretch, we've seen them pull worse.

It's not a stretch, I have a friend who is employed as a bounty hunter and has an official badge issued by the company he works for out of California, he resides in IL... Bounty hunting is illegal in IL so he does little here except voluntary turn ins, but he does neighboring states when there is a call...

He has been arrested and charged for impersonating a police officer more than once because someone caught a glance of his badge or what not in his wallet... Yeah he gets off each time once they verify it as being genuine and official but it's nothing short of a hassle and time jail until they straigten it out, if it was a 'novelty' badge he carried in his wallet he would be toast...

This is a part of he "wannabee" mind set that really scares me about some potential carriers of weapons. I have seen this question on other forums as well. Sugar coating the world is a really bad idea. I did 4 years in a combat unit with 18 months live fire. I was in charge of people and am quick to criticize unsound ideas.

The media and prosecution tried to portray Zimmerman as a wanna-be COP vigilante. Can you imagine what would have happened if he was carrying on of these badges?

+1

thoughts?

Dress like those around you. Don't be "that guy" wearing 5.11 pants and a t-shirt from random gun company with a random ammo manufacturer ball cap.

I see alot of construction contractors wearing 511 pants. They are very durable, comfortable and have lots of pockets. I agree with the shirt thing though.

Careful with those badges, the anti's will get an idea and try to mandate it. And the badges will look like this...

http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/jewish_star_350.jpg

Know what I mean?

guys I don't think the original poster had any ill intent or miss conceived ideas of being a wannabe cop, like most of us the thought has crossed his mind that what if I have to use my weapon, how will the police know I'm the good guy. If you haven't thought about that, you need to, or re-consider carrying. Like most though, I think this is a very bad idea to accomplish that goal. Like the OP when I first saw these, I though, hey that would be an easy way to accomplish this, then the analytical side of my brain kicked in and I realized it was in fact a bad idea for the very reasons you all have described. IMO the best way is to remain calm make no sudden movements, keep your hands where they can see them, Announce that you have a carry permit, and then comply with all orders. Also be prepared to be cuffed and temporarily detained until they check out your credentials, In IL the way our self defense climate is, I would fully expect to take a ride as well.

Bad idea in my opinion, as stated before, they'll first arrest you for impersonating a LEO. When I was working security at a club, we wore security badges. Almost every night a off duty LEO would ask what department I worked for. When I explained that I was security , every time the next question would be "what does your badge say?' Then I would unclip it from my belt and present it to said LEO . Afterward I would be shown his official badge and get the whole talk about call 911 in the event of trouble and so forth..... A CCW badge , especially near the Chicago area would be way more trouble than its worth.

This is a part of he "wannabee" mind set that really scares me about some potential carriers of weapons. I have seen this question on other forums as well. Sugar coating the world is a really bad idea. I did 4 years in a combat unit with 18 months live fire. I was in charge of people and am quick to criticize unsound ideas.

There will definitely be a few previously harmless mall ninjas that all of a sudden will be able to carry actual weapons to accompany all of their tactical gear. Most people dread ever having to use their handgun against another person. Others fantasize day and night about getting the chance to use their guns. Hopefully, events like the George Zimmerman trial will persuade those people that they want nothing to do with a shooting.

thoughts?

I work in an office, so does that mean my photographer's vest is a no-no as well? ;)

I work in an office, so does that mean my photographer's vest is a no-no as well? ;)

You mean your "shoot me first" vest?

Gang bangers have absolutely no idea about vests and fanny packs being go-to's for CCers. Since gang bangers are often the ones doing the shooting, I doubt you'll be singled out for wearing a fanny pack or a photographer type vest. We gun guys know that fellow gun guys use these items to conceal and we project our thought processes upon others. I'm willing to bet if you did a survey of 100 gang bangers they would concur with my assessment.

Hi,

This is sort of a new issue for Illinois folks to consider. But if you've been following CC-related discussions in other parts of the country, you'll find that there is just about universal disapproval of the CC badge idea.

It's a bad reason for all of the above reasons, and particularly now -- in a post-Zimmerman environment

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

OK I think we beat this one to death.

Move on. Nothing to see here folks.

I'm thinking Riverrat61265, the original poster was thinking of having the badge for quick identification in a defensive shooting situation. I thought of that when I original saw an ad for one, can't disagree that it isn't a good idea for all the reasons mentioned. My son works as a corrections officer and the uniform and badge does have the look of law enforcement, though he doesn't carry a sidearm. I'll have to ask him if anyone has ever mistaken him for a LEO.

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to get one of those CCW badges and wear it on my black Uncle Mike's fanny pack.

Archived