State of Delaware Attempting Warrentless Search/Seizure Over Facebook Photo

glockready

Not sure about anyone else but this don't sound like the land of the free & home of the brave anymore. Can You Say Police State!

Actually, according to the article, the police seemed very professional. DCFS, or whatever it's called out there informs p them of a child at risk and so they go to the home, as they should. The article doesn't say, but since the police left the house when the gentlemen got there and didn't force him to open his safe, my guess is that his wife let them in when they asked. If you watch COPS you'll see people giving up their 4th amendment rights even when they KNOW they have contraband. It sounds like the DCFS worker was the one with the issue. That's just my take though.

http://www.examiner....-facebook-photo

New Jersey officials, including police and the Department of Children and Families, are on the defensive today, after they raided the home of Shawn Moore, a firearms instructor for the National Rifle Association, demanding to see his guns after he posted a photo on Facebook of his son, Josh, 11, holding a rifle his father had given him as a birthday present.

"Someone called family services about the photo,” said Evan Nappen, an attorney who represents Moore. “It led to an incredible, heavy-handed raid on his house. They wanted to see his gun safe, his guns and search his house. They even threatened to take his kids."

The weapon, resembling a military-style assault rifle is actually a .22-caliber copy, says Moore, but, the family believes, it is the reason behind the visit to the Moore home in Carneys Point last Friday.

According to Fox News, a spokesperson for the Department of Children and Families said, due to government regulations, they could not confirm or deny if the raid on the Moore home had actually taken place.

"The department has a child abuse hotline for the state of New Jersey and anybody can make a call to that hotline," said spokesperson Kristen Brown. "We are required to follow up on every single allegation that comes into the central registry."

Moore and his attorney contend, however, that the raid was a violation of his Second Amendment right, and that, in light of the recent focus on gun control legislation, the raid's focus was not child safety so much as gun ownership.

"They said they wanted to see into my safe and see if my guns were registered," Moore said. "I said no; in New Jersey, your guns don't have to be registered with the state; it's voluntary. I knew once I opened that safe, there was no going back."

When the police confirmed they did not have a warrant to search his home and after a social worker refused to identify herself, Moore asked the officials to leave.

They adhered to his request.

"I don't like what happened," Moore said. "You're not even safe in your own house. If they can just show up at any time and make you open safes and go through your house, that's not freedom; it's like tyranny."

The police, said Nappen, wanted to inventory Moore's firearms.

"We said no way, it’s not happening,” the attorney told FOX. “This is a guy who is completely credentialed and his son is also credentialed.”

Nappen believes that what happened to the Moore family should serve as a warning to gun owners across the America.

"To make someone go through this because he posted a picture of his son with a .22 rifle on his Facebook page is pretty outrageous," he said. “Does that mean that anyone who posts a picture like that has to consent to a home inspection and a gun inspection? I don’t think so."

Nappen confirmed the Moores are considering taking legal action against the state.

This is seems like it is a violation of rights under color of law or at least an attempt to do so and as such I have a link to an fbi page that includes link to report such behavior

I got side tracked a bit with other things

First off in will county

Jeff tomzack or dan rippy out of the same firm

I dupage and kane pete baroni or mike mcmahon

Cook, lawson has the spelling on kelojay (sp)

That is a quick short list

Im working on some more for cook and lake, mchenry and such bu i am doing these off the top of my head sitting in committee

I got side tracked a bit with other things

First off in will county

Jeff tomzack or dan rippy out of the same firm

I dupage and kane pete baroni or mike mcmahon

Cook, lawson has the spelling on kelojay (sp)

That is a quick short list

Im working on some more for cook and lake, mchenry and such bu i am doing these off the top of my head sitting in committee

Do you have any recommendations for Winnebago county?

Archived