Recomend a scope...

Illinois Sucks

My current long distance gun is 24" barreled AR upper with an inexpensive Bushnell 3-12x 40mm. It has been great on the 600 yard range at ASC. I have a buddy with some property that we can shoot out past 1300 yard so I was looking for something with more legs than the .223. The .224 Valkyrie round looked pretty interesting so I picked up a PSA upper to play with.

I would like to put a decent scope on it that could later be transferred to a 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun I have been eying. As usual, I like to get the best bang for the buck. Realistically, probably mostly shoot 800 - 1000 yards. Don't care if it is SFP or FFP (although I wouldn't mind trying a FFP as I don't have one). Prefer MOA adjustments and a clean reticle.

I could spend $250 or $1500 if the value is there and it can do what I am asking it to do.

Thoughts?

My current long distance gun is 24" barreled AR upper with an inexpensive Bushnell 3-12x 40mm. It has been great on the 600 yard range at ASC. I have a buddy with some property that we can shoot out past 1300 yard so I was looking for something with more legs than the .223. The .224 Valkyrie round looked pretty interesting so I picked up a PSA upper to play with.

I would like to put a decent scope on it that could later be transferred to a 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun I have been eying. As usual, I like to get the best bang for the buck. Realistically, probably mostly shoot 800 - 1000 yards. Don't care if it is SFP or FFP (although I wouldn't mind trying a FFP as I don't have one). Prefer MOA adjustments and a clean reticle.

I could spend $250 or $1500 if the value is there and it can do what I am asking it to do.

Thoughts?

I'm just starting shooting long range fairly recently, and I picked up a Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil dot first focal plane for around $200. I've only got about 200 rounds on it, but it's held up fine so far. For the price, I didn't see anything else that would do what I wanted, and this particular scope has a good reputation (which isn't the case with everything that primary arms makes).

It's on the upper end of your price range and currently OOS but it has MOA adjustments so here you go. LOL.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-platinum-series-6-30x56mm-ffp-rifle-scope-with-illuminated-hera-bpr-moa-reticle

FWIW I have a PA 1-6 scope and it's great, If I were getting into truly long range shooting and building an expensive rifle I would have to lay hands on a few different scopes before I justified putting down $1500 for one. Everyone says PA scopes are good to go and I don't doubt it but I feel like at $1500 maybe Leupold, Steiner, or others have just as good or better for the money?

I actually have a Vortex Viper PST, first focal plane, 4-16X50 that I may be able to be convinced into parting with. It's the MOA version. It's a great scope, but I also have the 6-24X50 FFP from them on one of my other rifles, so that other one has just been sitting around waiting for another build that I'm not planning any longer.

ETA: forgot to add, I'm open to discussing either one since I'm not attached to one versus the other.

I actually have a Vortex Viper PST, first focal plane, 4-16X50 that I may be able to be convinced into parting with. It's the MOA version. It's a great scope, but I also have the 6-24X50 FFP from them on one of my other rifles, so that other one has just been sitting around waiting for another build that I'm not planning any longer.

ETA: forgot to add, I'm open to discussing either one since I'm not attached to one versus the other.

Dom, I will text you about the 4-16x50

Dom, I will text you about the 4-16x50

If you want, just give me a call. I'm not doing anything right now.

Archived