Dear ISRA, wake up and fight.

The ISRA has always been in a tough spot, I realize this is Illinois. I was at the very first legislative day when about 70 of us met in the cafeteria in Springfield and visited our reps (before they called it IGOLD).

When they tell us we have to jump through expensive hoops and then wait indefinitely because they cant meet their own process deadlines, its time to demand a change. People have tried to complete training, tried to apply for FOID or CCL, tried to comply with ridiculous laws, paid the unreasonable fees, just to find themselves hung up waiting because the bureaucracy cant function on a good day let alone during a pandemic.

The ISRA should demand, in court if necessary, that if the state cant fulfill their part of a law with its burdensome processes and fees, the state can at the very least suspend the FOID requirement. Im tired of the ISRA and the Illinois gun owning community accepting whatever crumbs they toss our way.

Our rights should not suspended because of a virus, or because a state agency cant function in any way close to reasonable timelines.

Hear hear!!! I was stationed in Florida years ago, and a ccw permit was incredibly easy. I called, set an appt with the state licensing office near me. They did my prints and all the paperwork and I paid at the appt, took maybe 15 minutes. Three weeks later my card was in the mail.

If it wasn't for my job and all our family on both sides here, I'd be gone. Looking forward to it.

"If a state or local ordinance crosses the line from an appropriate exercise of authority to stop the spread of COVID-19 into an overbearing infringement of constitutional and statutory protections, the Department of Justice may have an obligation to address that overreach in federal court," Barr wrote.

In his memo, Barr said he was directing two Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutors to monitor the measures taken by state and local governments and "if necessary, take action to correct them."

We all have a right to complain, but what are the actual suggestions for improvement?

How is the ISRA supposed to fight?

The state bureaucracy is even slower, but that does not keep us who are renewing CCL or FOID from carrying or buying.

The cards remain valid after expiration date if renewal applications were applied for prior to the expiration date.

Some individuals and businesses refuse to honor those cards.

Of course those who have filed for initial cards are in a bind.

We all have a right to complain, but what are the actual suggestions for improvement?

The state bureaucracy is even slower, but that does not keep us who are renewing CCL or FOID from carrying or buying.

The cards remain valid after expiration date if renewal applications were applied for prior to the expiration date.

If the ISP FSB can't fulfill their obligation to process in a timely manner, the process should be suspended until they can. Just like most other states, a law abiding person should be able to purchase and possess a firearm and ammo without a special permit that they can't get.

USAG Barr has said "the constitution is not suspended because of a pandemic", but currently in Illinois it is.

Just because most of us are mostly unaffected does not make it acceptable. This would be a good time to push for dumping the FOID.

How is the FOID going to be dumped with a Democrat governor and Democrat controlled legislature?

Here is a post by MollyB on another thread.

"A software release was successfully implemented yesterday evening.

Most notably for those of you who are FFLs, it addressed FTIP rejections in spite of FOID renewals submitted once 60+ days beyond ex date. It was tested last night and it worked, Please know that those wishing to RENEW their CCL can now do so without a training cert as allowed by the COVID-19 emergency rules. Applicants no longer see their expiration dates on their dashboard, Instead, they see COVID-19 in place of the expiration date.

Here is an example of the system alert that greets customers when they sign in to their dashboard:

COVID 19 Emergency Rules Notice Firearms Owners Identification (FOID) card holders and Concealed Carry License (CCL) holders, who submit their renewal application will remain valid during the duration of the state's disaster proclamation and for a period of 12 months following the termination of the disaster, even if their renewal application is/was not submitted prior to expiration. Renewal CCL holders will need to submit proof of their three-hour renewal training within 12 months following the termination of the state's disaster proclamation in order to maintain the validity of their CCL. The Illinois State Police will continue to enforce both FOID card and CCL prohibitors. FOID card holders who receive revocation notices shall return their FOID and Firearm Disposition Record form to the Illinois State Police. CCL holders who receive revocation notices shall return their CCL to the Illinois State Police.

The emergency rules are effective immediately; however, the requisite processes and programming to accurately reflect these rule changes are currently being completed. As a result, the system may not accurately reflect a FOID or CCL status until such changes are completed. The Illinois State Police encourages FOID card holders and CCL holders to print and retain a copy of their confirmation from their submitted renewal application as additional verification of compliance with the 430 ILCS 65/ Firearm Owners Identification Card Act and 430 ILCS 66/ Firearm Concealed Carry Act with consideration for the emergency rules.

Thank you for your patience as we work to have these changes made in as timely a manner as this emergency situation allows. If your expiration reads "COVID-19", it refers to the extension as the result of these emergency rules and your FOID or CCL should remain valid".

Note: FOIDs and CCLs remain valid, if renewal was applied for on time.

If the ISP FSB can't fulfill their obligation to process in a timely manner, the process should be suspended until they can. Just like most other states, a law abiding person should be able to purchase and possess a firearm and ammo without a special permit that they can't get.

USAG Barr has said "the constitution is not suspended because of a pandemic", but currently in Illinois it is.

If I remember correctly, and I’m wrong all the time.

Illinois is not breaking the constitution per se

They passed muster with the courts saying ok and good to the CCL and the FOID

Start a fight at the wrong time and be prepared to lose!

Archived