Coalition for Safe Chicago Communities et al v Riverdale, Lyons, & Lincolnwood

Those with a taste for irony will enjoy knowing that Steven Elrod, attorney for Highland Park and a force behind its illegal gun laws, is also attorney for Lincolnwood and has issued this statement in defense of his client:

“While we certainly appreciate the concerns that they raise, we cannot see any conceivable basis for liability on the part of the village of Lincolnwood,” Elrod said.

Source: http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicago/7/71/751389/suburbs-face-lawsuit-seeking-tougher-regulation-gun-shops

You beat me to it. I came here just to point this out. Time to wake up the interns. Anything Elrod says should be used against him in the Friedman case.

I'm baffled as to how Plaintiff Michael Pfleger has suffered "a disparate and terrible impact on African Americans who live in neighborhoods"....

And surprise, surprise, his parish was not a party as the Propaganda Media said earlier. The Left Stream Media wants to ferment Catholophobia.

Really, Rev. Robin Hood??? As I recall, Robin Hood was always armed (albeit with a long bow and/or sword).

Robin Hood stole from the government and gave money to the taxpayer. He was a Republican.

If the gun shops were to stop selling guns would a chicago resident have grounds to sue the members of the coalition citing conspiracy to deprive of rights?

I think this is perfect evidence that Chicago's zoning and business laws are ineffective and are an unconstitutional infringement of the 2nd Amendment. These laws are intended to reduce "gun violence" by their overly restrictive regulation of gun shops and shooting ranges. Despite the fact that they have effectively prevented any gun stores or ranges from opening in the city, their rate of violent crime remains high. However, cities with less restrictive laws that have ranges and gun stored have lower levels of violent crime.

Chicago's restrictions on gun stores and ranges are not a close fit to their legislative purpose because they don't accomplish that purpose in any measurable manner whatsoever. This doesn't come close to Intermediate Scrutiny.

Now I need to go back and read Ezell v. Chicago again. Just because you can exercise your rights in another city doesn't mean you can regulate the right out of existence within the city.

Here is an interesting article from the truth about guns that indicate that lawsuit essentially says that blacks can not be trusted with guns.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/07/dean-weingarten/chicago-clergy-black-people-cant-be-trusted-with-guns/

Though, not specifically referencing this suit, i think Colion Noir's new video is very relevant here.

Cook County Commissioner Richard Boykin presented a 7-point plan to "reduce gun violence" One of his points was to offer parenting classes for people in afflicted neighborhoods. That is about as close as anyone is ever going to come to addressing the culture issue.

Anyone old enough to recall a high school class called "Home economics"?

Pretty sure it is no longer PC to expect youth to learn basic domestic skills.

My Mother made me take 'typing' in High School, this was about 1972 ( learning to type was terrific and the best part? I was the only guy in the class) She made me take a home ec course too. And I distinctly remember taking a course that taught life skills... How to open a bank account and manage a checking account. How to pay bills. How to budget. How to fill out a work application. How to talk to a prospective employer. How do dress for an interview and such.

My hunch is none of this is taught in school anymore.

Cook County Commissioner Richard Boykin presented a 7-point plan to "reduce gun violence" One of his points was to offer parenting classes for people in afflicted neighborhoods. That is about as close as anyone is ever going to come to addressing the culture issue. Anyone old enough to recall a high school class called "Home economics"?Pretty sure it is no longer PC to expect youth to learn basic domestic skills. My Mother made me take 'typing' in High School, this was about 1972 ( learning to type was terrific and the best part? I was the only guy in the class) She made me take a home ec course too. And I distinctly remember taking a course that taught life skills... How to open a bank account and manage a checking account. How to pay bills. How to budget. How to fill out a work application. How to talk to a prospective employer. How do dress for an interview and such. My hunch is none of this is taught in school anymore.
I had to take a career development class in college, it dealt with how to write a resume, talk to an interviewer, etc. I also had typing in junior high, but the program we used was a joke (I still don't type correctly lol) The rest (home ec type stuff) I learned from my grandmotherSent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If the gun shops were to stop selling guns would a chicago resident have grounds to sue the members of the coalition citing conspiracy to deprive of rights?

I would prefer Treason.

Levying war against the states or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort? That's a tough sell...

You're thinking 18 USC §2381. I'm thinking 18 USC §2383. Still a bit of a stretch, but I can remain hopeful.

I would prefer Treason.

Levying war against the states or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort? That's a tough sell...

You're thinking 18 USC §2381. I'm thinking 18 USC §2383. Still a bit of a stretch, but I can remain hopeful.

I was thinking Article 3 Section 3 of the Constitution lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I had to take a career development class in college, it dealt with how to write a resume, talk to an interviewer, etc. I also had typing in junior high, but the program we used was a joke (I still don't type correctly lol)

The rest (home ec type stuff) I learned from my grandmother

I teach such a class at our college and it's desperately needed.

I had to take a career development class in college, it dealt with how to write a resume, talk to an interviewer, etc. I also had typing in junior high, but the program we used was a joke (I still don't type correctly lol)

The rest (home ec type stuff) I learned from my grandmother

I teach such a class at our college and it's desperately needed.

All the stuff I learned like that was in High School. My Mother said they actually had a few days where everyone had to dress up for an interview and each student went thru an interview and evaluation. This was in the late 40's. I don't know why High Schools moved away from that.

We had no less than 9 mock interviews for my class, all with different people and interviewing for different "jobs" (some we picked as a job we would apply for, others were picked for us) For 6 of them we had to wear proper business attire. All were graded. Our professor told us we were one of the few schools that have such a class these days

I can't say I learned a ton, it all seemed common sense to me, but the practice and feedback was really helpful

I've had to interview people for jobs. This wasn't a mock setting but for a real job.

You should've seen some of the people I had to interview, and mind you, this was for a graduate of a mid-level school, not ivy league but one level down. I actually had to convince my last company to let someone from sales do the first round of final interviews after the recruiter and HR screeners move them forward in the process. I can read people very well, which comes in handy in sales. Each person that I moved along to the next interviewer was extended an offer. I guess I did something right.

One person showed up wearing a suit that appeared to have resided on the floor of their closet, not ironed, and smelled musty. He had about two days worth of growth on his face and then couldn't answer a few questions that I felt were pretty simple. As soon as I asked my most common trick question, he was flustered. Truth be told, it's not even really a trick question. I typically pull a scenario related to the job that I experienced personally and would see how they handle it. This guy's response was, "I dunno, maybe ask someone else what to do". FAIL.

One girl in her mid twenties showed up, began to get flustered by some of the easy questions, and on the last easy questions, she starts crying. NEXT.

Had another girl who was mentally unstable. I made that assumption based on her disheveled appearance and she had those crazy eyes and her movements were very strange. She could've been nervous, but I've been around nervous types before and she struck me as mentally unstable. She would question my questions for clarification, every time. NEXT.

Next guy shows up in khaki's and a polo shirt with gym shoes on. He also smelled and looked like he did a bong hit. My first question was "do you smoke". His response was "smoke what". That confirmed my suspicion.

The guy I gave the green light on was polite, didn't appear to be very nervous, and was well kept. He answer my trick question and surprised me by his answer in that his explanation of how he would handle the situation was better than I handled it at the time. He actually made it through the other 2 interviewers as well.

The moral of the story is, if the people aren't being taught how to act, dress, etc. during a job interview, how are they going to get a job that pays halfway decent? The first three people actually had experience which made me swear to never do business with their former employers, unless they were lying, which should have been caught be the recruiter and the HR screener.

I've had interviews where I'm pretty sure the interviewer thought I was retarded. I wasn't prepared and just stumbled through the interview. These are all skills that need to be taught to people because most people don't have common sense and will end up doing a bong hit before the interview and toss on whatever clothes smell the least disgusting.

These should be mandatory classes in college.

I've had to interview people for jobs. This wasn't a mock setting but for a real job.

You should've seen some of the people I had to interview, and mind you, this was for a graduate of a mid-level school, not ivy league but one level down. I actually had to convince my last company to let someone from sales do the first round of final interviews after the recruiter and HR screeners move them forward in the process. I can read people very well, which comes in handy in sales. Each person that I moved along to the next interviewer was extended an offer. I guess I did something right.

One person showed up wearing a suit that appeared to have resided on the floor of their closet, not ironed, and smelled musty. He had about two days worth of growth on his face and then couldn't answer a few questions that I felt were pretty simple. As soon as I asked my most common trick question, he was flustered. Truth be told, it's not even really a trick question. I typically pull a scenario related to the job that I experienced personally and would see how they handle it. This guy's response was, "I dunno, maybe ask someone else what to do". FAIL.

One girl in her mid twenties showed up, began to get flustered by some of the easy questions, and on the last easy questions, she starts crying. NEXT.

Had another girl who was mentally unstable. I made that assumption based on her disheveled appearance and she had those crazy eyes and her movements were very strange. She could've been nervous, but I've been around nervous types before and she struck me as mentally unstable. She would question my questions for clarification, every time. NEXT.

Next guy shows up in khaki's and a polo shirt with gym shoes on. He also smelled and looked like he did a bong hit. My first question was "do you smoke". His response was "smoke what". That confirmed my suspicion.

The guy I gave the green light on was polite, didn't appear to be very nervous, and was well kept. He answer my trick question and surprised me by his answer in that his explanation of how he would handle the situation was better than I handled it at the time. He actually made it through the other 2 interviewers as well.

The moral of the story is, if the people aren't being taught how to act, dress, etc. during a job interview, how are they going to get a job that pays halfway decent? The first three people actually had experience which made me swear to never do business with their former employers, unless they were lying, which should have been caught be the recruiter and the HR screener.

I've had interviews where I'm pretty sure the interviewer thought I was retarded. I wasn't prepared and just stumbled through the interview. These are all skills that need to be taught to people because most people don't have common sense and will end up doing a bong hit before the interview and toss on whatever clothes smell the least disgusting.

I think it needs to start in High School. Just make it part of the curriculum - Everyday Living or some such thing. Just the basics. Banking, work, interviews, things we do everyday without thinking about it.

You're post reminded me of a time when I was in H.S. working as a busboy at a restaurant. I was probably 14-15 or so. Two kids walk in wearing t-shirts, cutoff jeans and sneakers and ask for the manager. Phil (the manager) came out and they told him they wanted to fill out applications. Phil told them that he didn't talk with people who dressed like that for a job interview. He told them if they wanted to fill out applications, then they had to go home, wash up, comb their hair, put on a collared, button down shirt, slacks and polished shoes.

They left and about an hour later, just one of the kids came back. He was dressed exactly the way the Manager had told him. Phil hired him.

If that happened today, there would be angry parents, lawsuits and people screaming that you 'can't tell people how to dress!'

How about going to job interviews carrying?

I had a job interview yesterday, in Rosemont, and my policy is to try to carry all the time unless I am going to a place where it is prohibited. I wore a suit and tie to the interview, business slacks, no special belt but even so - the R9 doesn't make my pants hang crooked and the R9 disappears into my pocket and is hardly noticeable. If the outline does show at all, it looks like a wallet or even a phone. Its so lightweight I hardly notice it.

There just isn't another 9mm semi-auto that you can do that with.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for not hiring them! Now all these people work in State Government jobs in Illinois. :hmm:

Shortly after Lyons passed their ordinance, I recently sent them a FOIA request. Below are the responses.

1. My FOIA request to the city FOIA officer

2. First response from a law firm, requesting more time

3. Second response from the law firm, requesting more time

4. Third response requesting more time

5. Final response

Law firm:

Odelson & Sterk, Ltd

3318 W. 95th Street

Evergreen Park, IL 60805

http://www.odelsonsterk.com

Request

2015-11-10 Lyons FOIA Request.pdf

* Copy of settlement agreement

* Copy of all communications

* List of all fees, costs, and disbursements

The first two were provided; the third was not due to the disbursements not being approved yet.

Responses requesting more time

2015-11-20 FOIA response 1.pdf

2015-11-23 FOIA response 2.pdf

2015-12-04 Lyons FOIA Response 3.pdf

FOIA Response

2015-12-05 - 2015-12-05 Lyons - marked response.pdf - response to my letter

2015-09-28 - 2015-12-05 Lyons - court docs - MTD.pdf - Lyon's motion to dismiss

2015-10-27 - 2015-12-05 Lyons - Settlement.pdf - Settlement

2015-10-27 - 2015-12-05 Lyons - Ordinance.pdf

Robin Kelly's 2014 report was referenced in connection with the court documents:

2014 Robin Kelly (D-IL) Report.pdf

• 2 months later...

http://cookcountyrecord.com/stories/510698657-cook-county-judge-tosses-lawsuit-brought-by-pfleger-other-activists-vs-suburbs-over-gun-shop-regulation

Cook County judge tosses lawsuit brought by Pfleger, other activists vs suburbs over gun shop regulation

Jonathan Bilyk

Mar. 2, 2016, 8:27pm

On Feb. 25, Cook County Circuit Judge Franklin Ulysses Valderrama dismissed in its entirety the complaint brought against the villages of Riverdale and Lincolnwood by a group known as The Coalition for Safe Chicago Communities. ...

The plaintiffs asked the judge to issue an injunction forcing the villages to put in place the kind of measures recommended by the Chicago gun violence report.

In response, the villages asked the judge to dismiss the lawsuit, saying the plaintiffs lacked standing under the law to bring the lawsuit in the first place, and even if they did have the right to sue, had not actually demonstrated the villages had discriminated against anyone. They also argued the courts lacked the authority to order the villages to enact any specific ordinances or rules governing how they would regulate the gun shops within their borders.

Valderrama sided with the villages.

The judge said he shared the activists contention that the Chicago neighborhoods most afflicted by violence, and the region, as a whole, would be better off if the suburban villages adopted the licensing restrictions recommended by the Chicago gun violence report.

But Valderrama said the Coalitions attempt to compel the villages to change their licensing regulations to more closely mirror those on the books in Chicago fell short under the law.

Valderrama said the villages were correct in arguing the plaintiffs lacked standing to bring their legal action, as their allegations that the guns from the suburban gun shops were used in too many Chicago street crimes, and that the violence isolated and economically depressed already poor communities in the city - centered not on a concrete, actual injury caused to any of them by the villages alleged lack of regulation, but rather were generalized grievances not sustainable under the state civil rights law.

But even if the plaintiffs could establish standing to bring the action, the judge said their case fell short altogether, as it failed to establish a legally recognizable link between the suburban villages policies and the gun violence in the Chicago neighborhoods. The judge particularly noted even the report, which formed the basis of the plaintiffs lawsuit, does not attribute illegal firearm sales and gun violence to the defendants regulation of firearms dealers.

Archived