Getting IL digital ID proving to be nearly impossible

vess1

Well I took my course yesterday and since I have time today I figured I'd get all the non-sense done online. I didn't think it would be an all day process but it's now turning into one. After wasting an hour to figure out Java won't work right with Firefox and the need to use Explorer, I thought it would be smooth sailing. I got to the digital ID page. Filled out everything they way wanted. Entered a user ID so I could get a password just to access my digital ID and it's not happening. Click submit and the next page is the godforesaken red 'x' and it says "An authentication error has occurred: Authentication URL accessed directly without access to protected URL first" Then only a "Retry" link which brings you back to this message. Did somebody else run into this and what did you do?

The page to create a password is supposed to come up at this point but it's a dead end. Luckily I'm young enough to be half way knowledgeable on whats going on here and have some help on the side. The elderly don't have a chance. Who is the contact person you can notify to let them know this digital ID requirement S-U-C-K-S!!!!?

What version of Internet Explorer are you using? You may have to hit f12 to open up the menu at the bottom of the page for ie. Then roll back the ie version to ie9. It's basically using a compatibility mode. Use the Illinois carry search function. There's already multiple threads on this with all the information you need.

Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Well I took my course yesterday and since I have time today I figured I'd get all the non-sense done online. I didn't think it would be an all day process but it's now turning into one. After wasting an hour to figure out Java won't work right with Firefox and the need to use Explorer, I thought it would be smooth sailing. I got to the digital ID page. Filled out everything they way wanted. Entered a user ID so I could get a password just to access my digital ID and it's not happening. Click submit and the next page is the godforesaken red 'x' and it says "An authentication error has occurred: Authentication URL accessed directly without access to protected URL first" Then only a "Retry" link which brings you back to this message. Did somebody else run into this and what did you do?

The page to create a password is supposed to come up at this point but it's a dead end. Luckily I'm young enough to be half way knowledgeable on whats going on here and have some help on the side. The elderly don't have a chance. Who is the contact person you can notify to let them know this digital ID requirement S-U-C-K-S!!!!?

Coulda saves you a little bit of time, at least with the firefox issue. http://chicagogunsmi...ed-license/190/

Also Deesul is right, many people myself included had to roll back IE, I did mine with IE7.

I have accessed with both the current version of Chrome and Internet Explorer 11. When you get to the page, Java will load. Tell it to run and after that you should be able to log in. I also just tried Firefox v27 and it also worked fine. Make sure that you watch for the popup manager and then allow Java to run.

Personally hate sites that require Java which it totally different than Javascript.

Hey I resemble that. :) I am an old fogy and I am all signed up using Firefox!!

At tho point you will find that your USERIID is already created but no password. The only way to fix it is to send an email to "Libby.Christensen@Illinois.gov" and ask her to delete the record. She is very responsive and that should quickly with a return email as confirmation.

Once you get the email from her then try again. This time use Internet Explorer. As has been suggested if you are using a new version please hit F12 and change to IE 8. From there is should be smooth sailing.

Let me know if you need help.

Hey I resemble that. :) I am an old fogy and I am all signed up using Firefox!!

Hey, no offense intended, just that I know this will create huge difficulties for people who are newer to computers or may not even own one. I've been trying to get it done on two different computers and I can't get it. I'm running IE11. Now I have to try to get it rolled back. lol What a joke. My computers not even letting me roll it back.

At tho point you will find that your USERIID is already created but no password. The only way to fix it is to send an email to "Libby.Christensen@Illinois.gov" and ask her to delete the record. She is very responsive and that should quickly with a return email as confirmation.

Once you get the email from her then try again. This time use Internet Explorer. As has been suggested if you are using a new version please hit F12 and change to IE 8. From there is should be smooth sailing.

Thanks. E-mail sent.

I have no problems using Firefox either. BTW.....Firefox doesn't actually use the Java loaded on your machine. It hasn't for a few version updates. It uses a Java plugin inside the browser.

On a widows machine, If you're running the latest version of Firefox:

Click on the firefox drop down button at the top left side of the window

Click on Add-ons

Then click on Plug-ins

Look to see if the Java™ Platform SE <version> is Active or enabled

If not Activate it.....and problem should be solved.

If it's already active......see if your browser needs to be updated.

I had the exact same issue back in December. I had everything with Java where it needed to be, but the page crashed on me and then wouldn't let me back in.

I had to call ISP tech support (number located somewhere in that mess of a webpage for CC) and create a ticket. They never got back to me so I called a week later WHILE I was logging back in and everything had been reset for me.

My advice is to call tech support. Things should be a bit calmer now, so maybe they can help you out a bit quicker.

I'll see if the e-mail gets me anywhere. Today being a holiday, I'm guessing there is no tech support to delete my account with no password and try it all again.

Might be surprised, one of those tech support dept is 24/7. Also, you might give them an hour or so, then retry the process. Some have said that they've been reset with no notice.

Good Luck,

T

I have no problems using Firefox either. BTW.....Firefox doesn't actually use the Java loaded on your machine. It hasn't for a few version updates. It uses a Java plugin inside the browser.

Click on Add-ons

Then click on Plug-ins

THANK YOU! This worked. Great instructions. Yes I had to activate and now I re-did the process using Firefox. It acted like I already had a digital ID (probably from doing taxes online the old way years ago) and I had to change my password, which I did. But now I must be a complete DA, because I'm not seeing anywhere to login to get the digital ID.

There is also a problem with Java and Windows 8.1. I can not access my application because of this. My daughter tried to fix it but she said that the best she could tell is one or both have a problem and both are blaming the other for it. But on other computers that don't have 8.1 we can.

I run Windows 8.1 with no issues.

Ok, the new question has become, where do I enter in my username and password to actually get the digital ID?

In case this thread comes up in somebody's search...

Answer: THERE IS NO DIGITAL ID # ! The user ID and password you create, IS the user ID. And you login to the actual concealed carry app with them.

I already had one from doing my IL taxes online years ago. Don't do it that way anymore so I forgot about it. My app is submitted as of moments ago. Wasted my whole day on this though. If anybody is having problems, as of Feb. 2014, read through this whole thread and it may save you from wasting an entire day too.

I had a gentleman stop by my house today as he was not having any success at his digital ID either. With me helping him using IE v11 I think .starting from creating digital ID to completion on his application a tad over 30 minutes . He offered $$$ , No thank you . Just happy to help him

And FireFox works fine too

Click on Add-ons

Then click on Plug-ins

THANK YOU! This worked. Great instructions. Yes I had to activate and now I re-did the process using Firefox. It acted like I already had a digital ID (probably from doing taxes online the old way years ago) and I had to change my password, which I did. But now I must be a complete DA, because I'm not seeing anywhere to login to get the digital ID.

Cool..........glad it wored out. Good to help another out. We gotta get you that license!!!!

I'm running Explorer 11 under Windows 7. It took a little doing, but I was able to set up a digital ID and complete my registration. There is a compatibility test on the home page. If you pass it, you are good to go. It is not necessary to revert to an earlier version of Explorer.

(1) You need the latest version of Java, 7.0.5, which is a free download from Oracle. It must be installed and enabled (see the Tools command).

(2) Secondly, you need to reset your internet options to "medium.". (Internet Options dialogue)

(3) Finally, you need to enable ActiveX controls to run by default (rather than "ask" each time).

The ISP site will run the compatibility check each time you open the login page. This will cause a few seconds of delay before you can enter your ID and password.

Once you get an ID in the system you can go to the 'forgot password' link and straighten things out without calling ISP.

This entire thing is a cluster. The digital ID application, the CCW application, etc. All overcomplicated garbage. It should be as easy as buying something on Amazon.

Wait, I forgot. This is Illinois. Never mind...

Archived