Morrison plan would prohibit firearms in churches, places of worship

InterestedBystander

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2231&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=107894&SessionID=91&GA=100

http://senatorjuliemorrison.com/news/press-releases/248-morrison-plan-would-prohibit-firearms-in-churches-places-of-worship

Morrison plan would prohibit firearms in churches, places of worship

Published: 14 September 2017

05152017CM0561SPRINGFIELD Firearms would be prohibited on church grounds in Illinois under a plan introduced yesterday by State Senator Julie Morrison (D Deerfield).

While Illinois law is very specific in where concealed firearms are prohibited, the law does not include churches or other places of worship, Morrison said. Most constituents I have talked with are shocked when they hear churches are not included on this list. Common sense dictates that guns have no purpose in places of worship.

Under Morrisons plan contained in Senate Bill 2231, concealed firearms would be prohibited on church property, including synagogues, temples, mosques or other places of worship.

Currently, the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act prohibits concealed firearms in 23 locations, including in schools, child care facilities and court rooms. Senate Bill 2231 would expand this list to include places of worship.

Earlier this week, the Archdiocese of Chicago announced firearms would be banned on all archdiocese property.

This policy is rooted in the belief that our churches, schools, administrative facilities or any other facilities owned, leased or operated by the Archdiocese are intended to be sites where people come to gather, pray and worship in safety and peace, Cardinal Blaise Cupich said in a letter to parishes.

Senator Morrison hopes to advance Senate Bill 2231 to a Senate committee during veto session, which begins on October 24.

This plan would only strengthen our commitment to protect Illinoisans against the threat of senseless gun violence in our communities, Morrison said.

Why does the state need this bill? Churches already have the authority to prohibit firearms as demonstrated by the Archdiocese of Chicago last week. All this bill does is ram the rules of the Archdiocese of Chicago down the throats of every other religious body in the state.

Why does the state need this bill? Churches already have the authority to prohibit firearms as demonstrated by the Archdiocese of Chicago last week. All this bill does is ram the rules of the Archdiocese of Chicago down the throats of every other religious body in the state.

Time for a demonstration against this bill if it gets much support. October 7 will mark the 8th anniversary of the attack on Mary Shepard at the First Baptist Church in Anna. Maybe demonstrators holding signs with pictures of Mary after her attack might show supporters of the bill that banning guns doesn't mean bad things can't happen to good people at a church. I find it interesting that one of the few churches posted that I know of in Southern Illinois, without a school or daycare is the First Baptist Church in Carterville, a Southern Baptist church like Mary Shepards.

I used to live in Sen. Morrison's district. I actually did invite her to our well-respected Women's Intro to Handguns class at GAT. GAT, and we, have a standing policy to comp any class or event for any legitimate politician or news media person and so her attendance would have been free. I also offered to have a private Intro for her and staff. Both invitations were declined without reply.

Perhaps the good senator needs to be reminded a bit of the process by which FCCA 2013 came to be. Despite being an attorney, she appears to be woefully deficient in a good knowledge of the law.

Why wouldn't this be DOA in the courts as soon as it is challenged? As we know, the only reason we have CCL in Illinois was because Mary Shepherd sued the state for usurping her right to self defense...in a CHURCH! The court ruled the state was wrong. Now the state is going to try to revisit the issue? See you in court!

I used to live in Sen. Morrison's district. I actually did invite her to our well-respected Women's Intro to Handguns class at GAT. GAT, and we, have a standing policy to comp any class or event for any legitimate politician or news media person and so her attendance would have been free. I also offered to have a private Intro for her and staff. Both invitations were declined without reply.

Perhaps the good senator needs to be reminded a bit of the process by which FCCA 2013 came to be. Despite being an attorney, she appears to be woefully deficient in a good knowledge of the law.

I live there... have attempted many times over the last few years to discuss issues. she has no interest.

She is not an attorney though. per Wikipedia:

She attended Knox College and graduated with a bachelor's in political science.[2] She took a job with the Natural Gas Pipeline Company of America before being appointed to the Advisory Council for the Department of Children and Family Services where she served until 1996.

I live there... have attempted many times over the last few years to discuss issues. she has no interest.

She is not an attorney though. per Wikipedia:

She attended Knox College and graduated with a bachelor's in political science.[2] She took a job with the Natural Gas Pipeline Company of America before being appointed to the Advisory Council for the Department of Children and Family Services where she served until 1996.

Quite the resume. Who is she related to?

Knox is a notorious cesspool for breeding leftists or further radicalizing them. I believe Biss is also a Knox alum. They always organize these idiotic things being done nationwide, then like five people show up. It's about $65k/year to attend that school so...yeah. At least half of the students aren't Illinois residents (California sends a lot of kids to Knox). Only conservative Knox alum I know is my doctor.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Per a recent email from Senator Julie Morrison:

Dear Friends,

Please join me at my upcoming Legislative Town Hall Meeting! The event, which is free and open to the public, will take place on Saturday, November 18 at 10:00 a.m. in the Community Room of the Lake Bluff Public Safety Building, which is located at 45 E. Center Avenue in Lake Bluff.

Since November 18th falls after this veto session, Morrison must want to tout what she has accomplished versus ask citizens for input.

Someone should send Morrison's office 10,000 separate photos of Mary Shepard and copies of the lawsuit that she filed, each in individual envelopes. That would be an an impossible to ignore message.

As someone who pasted 500 first class stamps on each of the monthly newsletters of the DuPage County Grassroots (ISRA) organization last century, YIKES!!!!

Maybe we could get a bulk rate? That's gonna be a chunk of change.

I think there are professional businesses that do things like that.

By the way, Dahleen Glanton of the Tribune has her take on The shooting, and the Texas Attorney General's statement.

She has gone full on rabid gun grabber, needle teeth and drooling. And she even tries to use Mary Shepard.

In DIRECT contradiction of the events - she has gone full on cognitive dissonance.

She fails to recognize that the END of the attack was when the coward WAS engaged by a citizen - and tactical gear is just an impediment in taking an assailant down.

Just shooting him BELOW the vest, in the pelvis (getting the pelvic bone structure) would have put him down - you CANNOT stand with a shattered pelvis. Then there's the "helmet" - getting hit by a round in a helmet that doesn't penetrate may not kill him, but it's the equivalent of being hit by a baseball bat. Ring his bell - badly. Keep that up a time or three and he's not going to be effective.

This gun NOOB VULTURE ("reporter") seeks to lecture us and "set us straight".

The first thing she HAS to learn:

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

It is that the KNOWLEDGE that rough men stand ready that has the deterrent effect.

(Luke 22:36) "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

good quote:

Firearms and weapons do not limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, they limit only the actions of those who would choose to do so by force.

Knox is a notorious cesspool for breeding leftists or further radicalizing them. I believe Biss is also a Knox alum. They always organize these idiotic things being done nationwide, then like five people show up. It's about $65k/year to attend that school so...yeah. At least half of the students aren't Illinois residents (California sends a lot of kids to Knox). Only conservative Knox alum I know is my doctor. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I know one conservative alum from that school, we can each make our list two now.

Knox is a notorious cesspool for breeding leftists or further radicalizing them. I believe Biss is also a Knox alum. They always organize these idiotic things being done nationwide, then like five people show up. It's about $65k/year to attend that school so...yeah. At least half of the students aren't Illinois residents (California sends a lot of kids to Knox). Only conservative Knox alum I know is my doctor. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I know one conservative alum from that school, we can each make our list two now.

My doctor is the only conservative alum that I know. She's been red pill for her entire life. Did her four years, got her BS, then off to med school. Don't have time for political nonsense when you're prepping for medical school. Her daughter was offered free rides at Harvard, Yale, all of the Ivies and I cannot repeat what her daughter said about East Coast liberals.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived