Illinois D-I-V-O-R-C-E meeting July 20, Mt Vernon

mikew

Group seeking to divorce rest of state from Cook County plans meeting in Mount Vernon

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/group-seeking-to-divorce-rest-of-state-from-cook-county/article_a6f0dfdc-d411-5da8-a862-e1845817c446.html

MOUNT VERNON — Organizers of a long-shot effort to divorce the rest of the state from Cook County are hoping to recruit sympathetic Southern Illinoisans to their fledgling movement.

New Illinois Inc. nonprofit has scheduled an informational meeting for 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, July 20, at Fairfield Inn & Suites, 217 Potomac Blvd., in Mount Vernon.

Scheduled speakers include co-founder and chairman G. H. Merritt, Illinois State Rep. Brad Halbrook, who has introduced legislation calling for the split, and Matt Sebastian of Southern Illinois Secession. Paul Preston, president of New California, is scheduled to make a remote appearance via Skype.

---more---

I mean, if you want to have the economic might of the state of Alabama or Mississippi, this is a great way to do it!

If you make $30k a year and spend $30k, it’s more fiscally responsible than making $300k a year and spending $500k.

Or

If you make $50k and your wife makes $100k, and you both spend $200k each year, but most of it is spent by her, and you try to get her on a budget without success, she tells you how backwards you are and how stupid you are and she doesn’t like your guns and want to get rid of them. So you finally have enough, you’re in debt up to your eyeballs, no way of paying it back, wouldn’t you want to get out of that relationship? You may have to deal with financial hardship, but at least you can stop digging yourself deeper.

I mean, if you want to have the economic might of the state of Alabama or Mississippi, this is a great way to do it!
You say that like it's a bad thing. It's not. After all, Rivian bought the old Mitsubishi plant in Normal. Rivian has an awesome electric truck and SUV they are about to bring to market. Several automotive companies build cars in Alabama.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you make $30k a year and spend $30k, it’s more fiscally responsible than making $300k a year and spending $500k.

Or

If you make $50k and your wife makes $100k, and you both spend $200k each year, but most of it is spent by her, and you try to get her on a budget without success, she tells you how backwards you are and how stupid you are and she doesn’t like your guns and want to get rid of them. So you finally have enough, you’re in debt up to your eyeballs, no way of paying it back, wouldn’t you want to get out of that relationship? You may have to deal with financial hardship, but at least you can stop digging yourself deeper.

I will leave you to look through this list:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Please note Illinois' ranking in relation to Mississippi and Alabama.

If you want to lose your economic power, this is a great way to do it, but as another poster said, if you want to spend your time chasing windmills, at least enjoy the nice weather as you're fighting injustice.

Insolvency is not economic power.

Someone above said they hope it gets traction. It has traction. If there was a vote tomorrow, it would pass over 90%. Guaranteed.

Neither is a welfare state, which is what Alabama and Mississippi are.

The problem with Illinois isn't the economy (unless you're from downstate), it's politics.

Hopefully commodities stay solvent under this plan (and the federal subsidies keep rolling in), and there are no more floods, and places like Cairo bounce back, and the universities don't leave... otherwise, this plan is in for some really hard realities if it were ever to come to fruition.

Insolvency is not economic power.

Someone above said they hope it gets traction. It has traction. If there was a vote tomorrow, it would pass over 90%. Guaranteed.

Neither is a welfare state, which is what Alabama and Mississippi are.

The problem with Illinois isn't the economy (unless you're from downstate), it's politics.

Hopefully commodities stay solvent under this plan (and the federal subsidies keep rolling in), and there are no more floods, and places like Cairo bounce back, and the universities don't leave... otherwise, this plan is in for some really hard realities if it were ever to come to fruition.

Are you a troll or are you out of your mind?

In spite of the ridiculously overtaxed businesses that generate heaps of revenue for Chicago and Cook County, both have been subsidized by state funding for yeeeeears. It's public record, look it up. Hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

Just a guess, if it happened you would see an explosion of economic growth, especially in the proximity to Chicago. Just look at the Kenosha, WI area, it's exploding because it's not IL even though it's an hour away, if there was a seperation any area that wasn't IL but still within an hour or two of Cook/Chicago would very likely see explosive economic growth assuming the seperation pulled the collar counties out of their Cook County brainwashing.

Just a guess, if it happened you would see an explosion of economic growth, especially in the proximity to Chicago. Just look at the Kenosha, WI area, it's exploding because it's not IL even though it's an hour away, if there was a seperation any area that wasn't IL but still within an hour or two of Cook/Chicago would very likely see explosive economic growth assuming the seperation pulled the collar counties out of their Cook County brainwashing.

Yes, if only you could separate out the strongest economic driver of the state, the state would FINALLY grow economically.

I feel like this plan was concocted by people who play the lottery for their retirement fund, and who don't understand basic economics.

Actually, here's what is happening:

Divisive drivel like this is posted. You know who that hurts? You.

You know why? Because there are about 2 million FOID card holders in the state. Do you know where most of them reside?

Cook County.

When stuff like this is posted, you alienate the MAJORITY of FOID card holders, who YOU depend on to defend your gun rights.

So when you post stuff like this, there are consequences to it. The consequences are that it is easier to take away your gun rights.

Yes, if only you could separate out the strongest economic driver of the state, the state would FINALLY grow economically.

I feel like this plan was concocted by people who play the lottery for their retirement fund, and who don't understand basic economics.

If you provide proximity to the econiomic driver without the burdens of that economic driver the economy would boom, as history and current times have shown. I's literally exactly what is happening in border states now and exactly what used to happen in the border counties until they turned into little Chicagos with much of the same burdens.

You don't have to be part of Cook/Chicago to reap from it's economic driving force.

Sadly this is just summer doldrums chatter.

The Dems would never let it happen for a number of reasons.

Also, IIRC the constitution expressly forbids the division of existing states.

But it’s always fun to dream about launching Chicago and Crook County, then watching them dissolve into the chaos that would surely follow.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress. Article IV Section 3

Actually, here's what is happening:

Divisive drivel like this is posted. You know who that hurts? You.

You know why? Because there are about 2 million FOID card holders in the state. Do you know where most of them reside?

Cook County.

When stuff like this is posted, you alienate the MAJORITY of FOID card holders, who YOU depend on to defend your gun rights.

So when you post stuff like this, there are consequences to it. The consequences are that it is easier to take away your gun rights.

Check this thread:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69147

roughly 500,000 FOID in Cook, 2,300,000 in Illinois = 500/2300 = ~ 21%

That isn't "most". Premise one bites the dust.

What this does is make Illinois Politicians nervous. Their greatest fear: Primary Challenge.

WHAT is holding SB1966 from a vote in the Senate? Fear of Primary Challenges of downstate seats.

It is a sign of discontent and revolt. Like the "sanctuary county" declarations. Promising uncertain and uncomfortable political times.

Right now, RE: the supermajorities in both houses, well, politicians are reticent in using them.

THEY understand that a "pyrrhic victory" is not a good thing.

Again, the basic economics are this: Chicago and Cook SPEND more than they generate in REVENUE.

Again, the basic economics are this: Chicago and Cook SPEND more than they generate in REVENUE.

Do you have a source for this data? All of the maps I've seen usually come out looking like this: https://capitolfax.com/2017/08/14/whos-bailing-out-whom-these-county-numbers-might-surprise-you/

That map is not necessarily inconsistent with my statement.

Just for some round numbers, let's say Cook puts in $100. They get back $80. The county appropriates/spends $110. Their share of the debt is $30.

SE Il county "x" puts in $15. They get back $30. They appropriate/spend $35. Their share of the debt is $5.

All spend in debt. No argument there. The fact is that for all the "economic might" the County of Cook and City of Chicago are still adding more to debt in total dollars faster because the numbers are just bigger.

Good read. Note the remarks on collar counties. https://www.oneillinois.com/stories/2018/8/17/disparity-think

Do you have a source for this data? All of the maps I've seen usually come out looking like this: https://capitolfax.com/2017/08/14/whos-bailing-out-whom-these-county-numbers-might-surprise-you/

Cook count/Chicago contribute slightly more then they siphon off the state, but on that note they are not the economic powerhouse of the state either, it's almost a break even county, the five collar counties of DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will hold the title for being the real economic powerhouse and revenue generating part of the state!

This goes back to what I have been saying above, Chicago/Cook is an economic stimulant to the regions around it and regions in close proximity to it, it's not the actual economic powerhouse in itself due to own vast expenditures. If Cook county revenue/disburesement was totally disconnected from the rest of Illinois (aka Cook was spun off into it's own state) there would be just a slight ripple in the revenue/disbursement figures across the other 101 counties, the five collar counties would still be carrying the rest of the state.

Skip to page 23 of document or 24 of the PDF to get a quick revenue/disbursement comparison

https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=ppi_papers

Visual map bellow on page 32/33

IL-revenue-disp.jpg

So enriching tons of cronies at everyone else's expense makes Illinois have more economic might than those two states combined?

I had no idea.

We need to contact Mike Madigan and tell him to double up on crony enrichment!

Or

I will leave you to look through this list:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Please note Illinois' ranking in relation to Mississippi and Alabama.

If you want to lose your economic power, this is a great way to do it, but as another poster said, if you want to spend your time chasing windmills, at least enjoy the nice weather as you're fighting injustice.

I prefer this one: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

Sure, Mississippi and Alabama are smaller in population than Illinois, but both take considerably less of the people's money in taxes than IL. And that data is before factoring in JB's 19 new tax and fee increases, which took effect after this article was published.

Archived