Clear answer on what to do with FOID/CCL when leaving the state

kevintb7

• 11 months later...

So as I said in post #19 above, on Oct 16:

I have a contact at ISP who said just mail FOID and CCL to: ISP Concealed Carry 801 S 7th St. Ste 400-M Springfield IL 62703

I mailed them in on or about Nov 15.

Today I got snail mail from ISP stating:

This is to notify you that your Illinois Concealed Carry License is hereby CANCELLED for the following reason(s): Applicant contacted Firearms Services Bureau and advised that he/she moved out of state.

So obviously they received my CCL and FOID, and my cover letter stating that I had moved.

Glad I didn't make a fool out of myself going to my local sheriff here in TN and asking him to mail those to the ISP. I know those deputies would have laughed!

Good luck with everything, guys and gals. Just wanted to pass that information along.

QuackerSmacker

Thanks for the information, and follow up. I just moved and will follow your lead. I'll post up if I get conflicting results.

All,

Also happy to be rid of IL but my move is transitional for now, and inability to carry in IL when back to take care of family business is very annoying. Curiously, while we complain about the IL CCW, it gave me better reciprocity than my new state's permit does. I'm signed up for a non-resident MN permit for example, which is not necessary for IL permittees.

I'm a year and a half later from moving from Illinois. Still no contact from Illinois about FOID or FCCL.

DESPITE

* filing a non-resident return

* appealing an adverse decision on an Illinois return

* filing a non-resident IL-1040X

* Canceling my Illinois Medicaid (I was out of work at the time) by sending them a letter with my new address on it

So that was two Illinois government agencies (revenue and human services) that were notified that I moved and they didn't tell ISP.

• 11 months later...

Moved to central Indiana in June. Because of COVID, could not get Indiana drivers license until October. Mailed my FOID and CCL back to ISP address with a cover letter asking them to send me an acknowledgment of receipt. For curiosity, I check the web site on weekly basis. They still have me active for both. So much for the ISP checking on a daily basis their data base for any type of activity that would cause revocation of your license. I currently am carrying on my Florida license while I wait on my Indiana license. If Molly can help, that would be great.

Moved to central Indiana in June. Because of COVID, could not get Indiana drivers license until October. Mailed my FOID and CCL back to ISP address with a cover letter asking them to send me an acknowledgment of receipt. For curiosity, I check the web site on weekly basis. They still have me active for both. So much for the ISP checking on a daily basis their data base for any type of activity that would cause revocation of your license. I currently am carrying on my Florida license while I wait on my Indiana license. If Molly can help, that would be great.

KHJ, why do you need help with ILLannoy? Fugggeddabbouddit! You're free! ISP is way behind on everything. It's only your problem if you think it is. IMHO

Just FYI. Unless Indiana has changed their laws, once you have established Indiana residency, you can no longer carry on your Florida license. Have to wait until you have your Indiana license.

Interesting, Handgunlaw.us https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Reciprocity/How This State Honors Other States Permit/Licenses

IC 35-47-2-21 Recognition of Retail Dealers' Licenses and Licenses to Carry Handguns Issued by Other States

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in

Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(B) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Interesting, Handgunlaw.us https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Reciprocity/How This State Honors Other States Permit/Licenses

IC 35-47-2-21 Recognition of Retail Dealers' Licenses and Licenses to Carry Handguns Issued by Other States

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in

Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

( :cool: Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Thanks for posting this. Couldn't find it earlier ...

That is interesting. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I do know that they had changed some of the laws due to COViD. Gov. waived fees, etc. But since last posting, my license just came in today’s mail. Thanks to all for pointing things out. Just shows how much different information is out there and can be lost in the minutia.

I had forgotten about them. In fact I have them saved in my favorites, I just didn’t think of them. Interesting though that the other sites I listed, do not make mention of this provision. Even more worrisome is when I paid my local fee for life time license (75.00 local fee), I specifically asked the police chief about my carrying on Florida license. He looked it up, and said I was good. As everyone knows from reading this site, the police don’t always know the law. Thanks again to everyone, and everyone keep up the good fight until you all can GTFOOI.

I guess the interesting part comes when the FOID expires and ISP sends you a letter (maybe forwarded) that you have to surrender your firearms, report their disposition (listing them by make, model, and serial number), or they'll get warrants to arrest you and to seize them. It seems like an impotent threat, until a cop somewhere runs your plates and checks a national database to see if anyone has warrants on you.

It's just bureaucratic enough that I can easily imagine it happening. Just when you thought you were out, they drag you back in.

Archived