Renewal people, log your processing times here

HeavyDuty

Original license (no prints) expires 4/16/19

Submitted renewal (no prints) 1/15/19 - status "under review" as of 1/17/19

Question: Somewhere I've read that CCL/FOID license holders are background checked daily/weekly to continually ensure their status is correct. Amounting to hundreds of background checks per year.

If so, wouldn't renewal of a valid license essentially be nothing more than a rubber stamp?

I think the argument is the almost (~360) daily FOID check is only checking a few databases for a reported violation and not the full set of databases that an application/renewal check goes through.

Why dont we track how long renewals take?

Expiration 02/28/2019, applied for renewal 11/16/2018.

Expires 4/13/2019. Saw the renew button go active after Christmas, and did my part of the renewal process. Today I noticed "issued 12/31/2019 Expires 12/31/2023".

So, very quick renewal, but I lost 4 months by jumping the gun.

I checked again, and I misremembered. Ran the renewal 12/19, saw on 12/29 it was active.

And just today (1/17/2018) finally receive the new card, along with a new FOID.

Question: Somewhere I've read that CCL/FOID license holders are background checked daily/weekly to continually ensure their status is correct. Amounting to hundreds of background checks per year.

If so, wouldn't renewal of a valid license essentially be nothing more than a rubber stamp?

I think the argument is the almost (~360) daily FOID check is only checking a few databases for a reported violation and not the full set of databases that an application/renewal check goes through.

I believe what I read referred to the daily FOID check plus a weekly NICS check. Both of which should be pretty fast I'd think. What else is there?

I believe what I read referred to the daily FOID check plus a weekly NICS check. Both of which should be pretty fast I'd think. What else is there?

Sorry, kind of long but I could not find the original post. Came from a court document filing from ISP. Format is a bit messed up.

Identification.

The first phase involves verifying an applicants identity.

R. 568. An Illinois residents identity is verified through the Illinois Secretary of States drivers license or state identification systems. R. 569. For nonresidents, because the Illinois State Police does not have direct access to other states drivers license, state ID or similar databases, it must rely on the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System database to check the validity of an out of state drivers license, including personal identifiers of the individual and address. Id.

The database itself, however, is limited because it does not currently share identifying photographs or signatures with the Illinois State Police and because not all states participate fully in this system. Id.

Background Check.

Once the applicants identity is verified, the Bureau performs an extensive background check through numerous state and national systems. R. 568. For instance, it must verify that an applicants criminal history does not render the applicant ineligible. R. 569. For Illinois residents, this includes a review of the applicants criminal history through federal systems, as well as two systems maintained by the Illinois State Police: the Criminal History Record Inquiry system and the Computerized Hot Files system. R. 568-69.

For nonresidents, the Bureau does not have direct access to other states local or state criminal history databases, so [it] relies on federal databases to obtain out-of-state criminal history information. R. 569-70. These include (1) the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which identifies denied-persons files, among others; (2) the Interstate Identification Index, a national criminal history

record system; (3) the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, which contains information on the continued validity of state-issued concealed carry licenses; and (4) the National Crime Information Center, which consists of 21 distinct files, such as the National Sex Offender Registry, Foreign Fugitives, Immigration Violations, Orders of Protection, and Wanted Persons. R. 569-70.

Trame stated that these federal databases are insufficient for purposes of verifying eligibility for a concealed carry license because states do not provide them with complete or uniform information. R. 569-70. For instance, [m]any states

provide the federal databases with only a summary of an arrest but not the disposition of the charge. Id. When the federal databases do not contain complete information, the Bureau would need to request a record from the local jurisdiction itself. Id. Local jurisdictions often charge for these records, and the Illinois State Police has limited resources. R. 570.

As another component of the background check, a resident applicants information is made available to Illinois law enforcement agencies, which may submit an objection to a [concealed carry license] applicant based upon a reasonable

suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself, herself, or others, or is a threat to public safety. R. 569. Upon receipt of an objection, the application is referred to the

Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board. Id. An applicant becomes ineligible for a license if that board determines by a preponderance of the evidence that he poses such a danger or is a threat to public safety. Id.

Mental Health Prohibitors.

The Bureau must also verify that the applicant does not have any mental health prohibitors, an analysis that overlaps in part with the background check. R. 571. For Illinois residents, the Bureau consults the Illinois Department of Human Services FOID Mental Health System, which contains information on Illinois mental health facility admissions, to determine whether an individual has been involuntarily admitted into a mental health facility in Illinois or has been a patient in a mental health facility in Illinois within the past five years or more. Id. This database does not contain records of out-of-state mental health facility admissions, and the Bureau does not have access to other states mental health facility admissions databases, if any exist. Id.

As for federal databases, only the National Instant Criminal Background Check Index contains information related to mental health prohibitors, but that information is largely limited to individuals prohibited from firearm possession under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4). Id. It contains no information on voluntary mental health admissions, and its information on formal mental health adjudications is sparse. Id.

Continued Monitoring.

Even after an applicant obtains a concealed carry license, the Illinois State Police continues to monitor the individual in various ways. Id. To begin, the Bureau checks on a daily basis all resident license holders against the Illinois Criminal History Record Inquiry system and the Illinois Department of Human Services FOID Mental Health System for any new prohibitors that would render them ineligible to hold a FOID Card or a concealed carry license. Id. Additionally, the Bureau checks all resident and nonresident license holders against the federal databases on a quarterly basis. Id.

There is also an extensive system of in-state reporting to alert the Bureau of new prohibitors that might not show up in those databases. R. 571-72. For example, Illinois physicians, qualified examiners, law enforcement officials, and school

administrators are required by law to report persons that may be a clear and present danger to themselves or others. R.571. Likewise, state circuit court clerks are required to report persons who have been adjudicated as mentally disabled or persons who have had a finding for an involuntary admittance to a mental health facility. R. 572. Finally, the Illinois Department of Human Services reports information collected pertaining to mental health treatment admissions, either voluntary or involuntary, as well as reports of patients with intellectual and developmental disabilities, or who have been deemed to be a clear and present danger. Id. None of these systems, however, reaches out-of-state residents. R. 571-72. Therefore, Trame explained, as with the initial background check, the Bureau is dependent upon other states to have a substantially similar system to monitor the licensees. Id. Otherwise, it would be virtually impossible to effectively conduct this same level of screening and monitoring for nonresident [licensees]. R. 572.

In light of the foregoing and her experience as Bureau Chief overseeing these programs, Trame concluded that if the Illinois State Police were required to accept nonresident applications from states that lack reporting and eligibility requirements similar to Illinois, the background check process would be jeopardized because [the Illinois State Police would be] unable to verify those nonresidents credentials to the same standards as Illinois residents are held. R. 573.

I went active 12/31 no CC as of yet But I did get a new FOID ?

I too active 12/31

Today I was surprised got new FOID , didn't request it, nor pay for it but expires same as the one I already have in 2021 and my new CCL

Looks like our numbers match on CC and on FOID

Yep

A new design too

Also new picture, they used the new one I up loaded

I'm even more handsome then before...

My original CCL expire date was 3/24/2019

Received Renewal Letter in the Mail: 11/29/2018

Applied for Renewal (with previous prints from 2014): 12/3/2018

Received new style FOID with same date in 2020 expiration as my existing one: 1/12/2019 (I didn't expect that)

Received New CCL: 1/17/2019 - Siri says that's 46 days.

Because I renewed pretty much immediately upon receiving the letter, I actually got screwed out of some time. The new CCL expires 12/31/2023 instead of 3/24/2024. Illinois sucks, Utah is more fair. My previous license expired on 2/21/2019. I renewed in December (took 12 days) , the new one expire date is still 2/21 but now in 2024. So you don't get screwed out of any time with Utah like you do with Illinois.

Exactly 30 days from when I submitted, and my status is still "submitted" - "under review".

It's looking like people that sent their renewals in about 2 weeks before I did are starting to go active, so I'm guessing another two weeks. The holidays must have thrown the turn around times out of whack.

I am in the same boat, except further downstream... 36 days and still "Submitted > Under Review". Renewed 12/17/18.

Exactly 30 days from when I submitted, and my status is still "submitted" - "under review".

It's looking like people that sent their renewals in about 2 weeks before I did are starting to go active, so I'm guessing another two weeks. The holidays must have thrown the turn around times out of whack.

I renewed on 12/5 and was seeing guys who renewed a full week to two after me getting approved. It was frustrating but finally happened. It was hard but I stopped thinking about it for a while, then checked and there was movement. It sucks because we don't trust the state to d othe right thing.

I can't believe I'm checking the ISP webpage every day like a high schooler waiting by the phone two weeks before homecoming. Just like when I first applied for it but now, I'm doing it because I'm fearing JB will pull the plug on the whole thing.

Expiring: 05Mar2019.

Renewal sent in: 14Jan2019. (Trying to game the early expirations for renewals sent in too early)

Hoping they don't use the pic I sent in:18Jan2019.

'Submitted' still: 22Jan2019.

My application for renewal is getting a little long in the tooth. Renewed 12/3/18 paid my money and already had prints on file from 1st time. Friend of mine and others here have went active and or received their new license some in much less time than mine. My current status is "under review". I have tried to use the right click and make sense of what pops up inspect element but nothing I see makes any sense. I have not gotten any email (yes checked my junk and spam file also) or written notification about any problem. I guess it doesn't make sense but really does because I am dealing with the IL State Police. I remember back in 2004 I called the state police because my FOID renewal didn't come in and I have never ever talked to a more rude person on the phone than the guy I talked to that day. He told me the reason my FOID renewal was held up I have 14 letters in my last name and any name with over 12 letters or less than 5 letters were suspect terrorist got put into a special spoil and had to be handle different. But after that call I got my new FOID in 5 days in my hand. I bet the people or powers to be just love to sit around and tell about how they jacked this application or that one around.Makes good water cooler chatter. Yes after reading my post here I am sure you get the ideal I very much dislike our system. But then that is another whole thread. I have a Utah and it was renewed in less than 12 days license in hand. I have a Florida and it was renewed in 25 days. It just seems to me (and I am sure it will get worse, much worse now with our new governor) the state of IL do everything within the laws to drag their feet and make CCL extremely difficult.

My application for renewal is getting a little long in the tooth. Renewed 12/3/18 paid my money and already had prints on file from 1st time. Friend of mine and others here have went active and or received their new license some in much less time than mine. My current status is "under review". I have tried to use the right click and make sense of what pops up inspect element but nothing I see makes any sense. I have not gotten any email (yes checked my junk and spam file also) or written notification about any problem. I guess it doesn't make sense but really does because I am dealing with the IL State Police. I remember back in 2004 I called the state police because my FOID renewal didn't come in and I have never ever talked to a more rude person on the phone than the guy I talked to that day. He told me the reason my FOID renewal was held up I have 14 letters in my last name and any name with over 12 letters or less than 5 letters were suspect terrorist got put into a special spoil and had to be handle different. But after that call I got my new FOID in 5 days in my hand. I bet the people or powers to be just love to sit around and tell about how they jacked this application or that one around.Makes good water cooler chatter. Yes after reading my post here I am sure you get the ideal I very much dislike our system. But then that is another whole thread. I have a Utah and it was renewed in less than 12 days license in hand. I have a Florida and it was renewed in 25 days. It just seems to me (and I am sure it will get worse, much worse now with our new governor) the state of IL do everything within the laws to drag their feet and make CCL extremely difficult.

I think the "Under Review' on the Inspect Elements is just a placeholder. Once in Inspect Elements, I select Debugger. Then find line 231, on there you will see your actual status, right before Under Review.

I think the "Under Review' on the Inspect Elements is just a placeholder. Once in Inspect Elements, I select Debugger. Then find line 231, on there you will see your actual status, right before Under Review.

No joy when I do the Debugger maybe because I have Ad Blocker Plus dunno with Firefox browser. Guess i will just sit in the dark for now. Afraid to monkey around too much on the ISP page fearful it will come up TILT and the game will be over :ninja:

No joy when I do the Debugger maybe because I have Ad Blocker Plus dunno with Firefox browser. Guess i will just sit in the dark for now. Afraid to monkey around too much on the ISP page fearful it will come up TILT and the game will be over :ninja:

I use Firefox on a Windows PC with AdBlocker Plus. While on your ISPFSB Dashboard, hover your mouse over "Under Review" and right click. A small menu will appear, click on "Inspect Element", Several new split windows will appear with the info you're looking for displayed. Hope this helps. (Tried to include a screen shot, but got an error adding the graphic.)

Received License in the mail yesterday 1/22.

Applied 12/5/18

QC_Verified 1/3/19

Approved 1/9/19

Active 1/17/19

Card in hand 1/22/19

Total of 48 days from start to finish. It was way shorter than the first time but still inconsistencies in the process and roll out. Another $150 in five years....

Archived