Florida CCW application

roundkot

Folks, two questions

(1) is NRA basic pistol + Illinois CCW class enough to qualify the training requirements? From reading their web page, looks like the answer is yes, but would like to confirm,

(2) Where could I do the fingerprints? I am located in northern Chicago suburbs. The CCW application website says

Florida law requires applicants for the concealed weapon license to have their fingerprints taken at a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

Thanks.

That is exactly what I used with no problems. Call your local PD and ask them. I had mine done at Crystal Lake PD and I know Woodstock does them too. But they only do it for local residents for free. Some will do it for a small charge for non residents.

I live in the country and called the 2 closest police departments about having prints done for the Florida LTC, the closest one charges $5 and the next closest charges something like $20 or $25 (person answering phone wasn't sure) first PD does it 24/7, the other during business hours. So a couple phone calls might save you a few bucks.

Yes, NRA BP or IL FCCL both qualify you for the FL license. Actually, the IL Hunter Safety course will qualify a person for FL. FL requires a hard card for prints from non-residents. Some think this requires old fashioned ink prints, but in reality, most LEO agencies will scan them electronically and then print them to the card. Our local county department has a couple of deputies that pride themselves on never having a FL app refused because of "unacceptable" prints.

Good Luck,

AB

I had to laugh

Why would you not tell them?

It's more likely they would assist for a CCL license than not!

Shorewood did it on the spot when I went in to ask.

Residents free, non for $5.00

Most Leo's are ok with CCL and then talk about handguns Etc.

This.

When I went years ago to get my prints the woman doing the prints at the Sheriff's office said is this for Concealed carry or something else. No big deal. No fear. :)

I agree. I called my local police department and said I was applying for Florida CCL ... they said they did it for free for residents ... but might have a slight wait for a police officer to come in off the street to take them. I told the officer who came in that it was for a Florida CCL .. and he said some to the effect of "the more good guys with guns, the better."

Seriously folks, police officers understand that if you took the time to take the training, passed the course, you weren't going to be a problem to them.

It's the bad guys with guns that bother them.

When you ask about finger prints just tell them it's for an "application". They don't need to know what the details. Quite a few jobs needs prints for security reasons. Stretch the truth just a little.

You must be from the northeast part of the state. A called a number of police departments in Southern Illinois and asked about having prints done for the Florida LTC. No one said they wouldn't do them, I got prices ranging from $5 to $40. A couple asked if I had a fingerprint card. One asked if I needed digital prints, and referred me to the sheriff's department. Florida still takes the paper card correct?

So let me get this straight. In order to get my Florida CCL, I need my Illinois CC class certificate, Hunters Safety card, and finger prints? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingerprints, yes.

Hunter's safety on it's own will get you Florida. As will an NRA basic pistol course.... or your Illinois CCL certificate.... or a DD-214.

And welcome to Illinois Carry! :D

So let me get this straight. In order to get my Florida CCL, I need my Illinois CC class certificate, Hunters Safety card, and finger prints? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingerprints, yes.

Hunter's safety on it's own will get you Florida. As will an NRA basic pistol course.... or your Illinois CCL certificate.... or a DD-214.

And welcome to Illinois Carry! :D

Thank you! Hopefully I am not hijacking here and if so let me know and I can start another thread but what do you need for Utah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! Hopefully I am not hijacking here and if so let me know and I can start another thread but what do you need for Utah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the Utah license, but IIRC it requires a 4 hour Utah-specific training class which I believe has to be taught by a Utah-approved instructor.

I have Utah and you are correct. There are Utah instructors who offer classes in Illinois. There is no live fire requirement so the entire class can be done anywhere. I renewed my Utah LTC over 2 years ago, costs $15 for 5 years to renew now. No additional finger prints or classes.

A non-resident Utah LTC is good in most of the states a Florida non-resident is except no non-resident is good in Florida.

• 4 months later...
My ccl certificate does NOT have any of the courses checked. Can I check the one that says Florida ccl covered?? Everything else is filled in. Instructor name, business and number as well as his and my signature. I just received 5 fingerprint cards from Florida. How many do I need to send them?? I guess I'll have extras in case anyone is near Lansing, IL and wants some.

My ccl certificate does NOT have any of the courses checked. Can I check the one that says Florida ccl covered?? Everything else is filled in. Instructor name, business and number as well as his and my signature. I just received 5 fingerprint cards from Florida. How many do I need to send them?? I guess I'll have extras in case anyone is near Lansing, IL and wants some.

Are you talking about your ISP Certificate ? If so why would you want to check any of the boxes

Are you talking about your ISP Certificate ? If so why would you want to check any of the boxes

I just figured that by checking the Florida one, state of Florida will see that the class I took meets their requirements. So just leave as is??

I just figured that by checking the Florida one, state of Florida will see that the class I took meets their requirements. So just leave as is??

I apologize. I just saw the certificate and it states that " if I provided previous training ". Which I didn't so that's why those minutes aren't checked. Please disregard my dumb question. Lol

Yes, do not change your ISP Certificate. Illinois's training qualifies you for Florida.

It used too, but it does NOT anymore. You will need the NRA instructor id to go along with the ICCL. I know it qualifies from their website, but something has changed and they require the NRA instructor ID now as my students had issues. I spoke to FL and they said that you need the NRA ID, I told them that you need it to be a ICCL instructor, but they said thay need to check via the NRA website...so there is the deal now. I have had my students submitting to Illinois and write my ID on a copy of the cert to send to FL and this is fine.

This after three years of just using the ICCL cert.... go figure.

Yes, do not change your ISP Certificate. Illinois's training qualifies you for Florida.

It used too, but it does NOT anymore. You will need the NRA instructor id to go along with the ICCL. I know it qualifies from their website, but something has changed and they require the NRA instructor ID now as my students had issues. I spoke to FL and they said that you need the NRA ID, I told them that you need it to be a ICCL instructor, but they said thay need to check via the NRA website...so there is the deal now. I have had my students submitting to Illinois and write my ID on a copy of the cert to send to FL and this is fine.

That is about one of the dumbest things I have heard. Why change things now ?

That's the number that starts with "CCT*******" on the certificate?? Mines is filled in.

That is about one of the dumbest things I have heard. Why change things now ?

No frigg'n clue bro... I called and explained it to them, but they just kept going back to NRA ID and I didn't want to get blackballed, so I just said okay.

• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

This clearly is acceptable with our ICCL creds and cert, but for some reason they have went in another direction.

That's the number that starts with "CCT*******" on the certificate?? Mines is filled in.

No. You need their NRA instructor ID, or any of the other creds from above, which are/is not on the cert at all.

Archived