NRA RSO Online Course Review

NRApistol

I recently completed the online version of the NRA Range Safety Officer Course and thought some of you might like a little review.

I`m a Pistol Instructor and wanted to get my RSO rating. I also wanted to see where we are headed with this new blended training. My TC agreed to help me compare the live version to the online version of the RSO course. I read the lesson plans 3 times before I took the online version so you need to consider my test times with that in mind.

The course is broken down into the same six segments as the printed version of the Basic Range Safety Officer Course. There are video clips of the teaching components for each segment with interactive knowledge questions. The student proceeds at their rate with the option of watching the teaching exercise again or proceeding. Each lesson segment is also provided as a PDF file with screen shoots and printed audio overlays for a study guide. There is an open book test at the end. You can take the test 3 times and requires a score of 90%. You will have 90 days to complete the course and must already be a NRA Instructor.

Course Segments are:
I. Introduction
II. Role of the RSO and the SOP
III. Range Inspection & Rules
IV. Safety Briefing
V. Emergency Procedures
VI. Gun Stoppages and Malfunctions

I completed all 6 lessons in about 4 hours with short breaks. The test has 25 questions and took me another 20 minutes.

The first five segments were well put together and added a couple of very brief topics that are not in the printed version.

The material was presented clearly and repeatedly. Students must interact by answering knowledge questions to proceed. The knowledge questions are intended to teach and help the student and are not scored. As an instructor I would hope the NRA makes these video segments available for live instructors to use as training aids.

Now the big BUT: Segment VI. Gun Stoppages and Malfunctions.

This segment teaches clearing stoppages of different action types with the same approach. I am a certified pistol instructor, although I am very familiar with shotgun and rifle and black powder actions, I have no certifications that prove that. The video clips of stoppages were lacking the hands on feeling. Segment VI needs to be taught by a TC or CRSO for best results, online is barely adequate for this segment.

I would give the first 5 segments a "9". The inability to ask questions prevents the "10" rating. After taking the course I am more open minded with the blended training approach.

For purposes of BSA Shooting program it's fine. Our guideline require a LOT of trained staff. This lets us leverage rifle instructors on the shotgun range and shotgun guys on rifle. Since we only have one type of rifle (ok two but only the shorties use the Rascals) and two types of shotguns it makes it a bit easier. Truly NRA Certified RSO is overkill for BSA ranges.

Chief Range Safety Officer here. Yes, I agree this is a big problem in my opinion with the online course. It is very well done, but does lack the actual hand on as well as getting questions addressed. If you are an online RSO, you are more than welcome to attend one of my "hands on" courses, for more experience if you like.

• 2 months later...

A little follow up: Last Saturday I attended a live RSO class conducted by a Training Counselor, BIG improvement over the online version. I entered the course expecting the classroom parts to be similar to the online version and the live lab sections to be superior to the online.

Wrong.... On the classroom portion, I overlooked the other participants. Knowledge flows both ways. The average age of the class was 62, all had their CCLs, and all were long time shooters wanting to advance their training. The material covered in the classroom portions of the live and online versions, for practical purposes, is the same. The HUGE difference is both the student and teacher can ask questions. Everybody learns from each other. When we discussed black powder the gentleman that was a "Rendezvous participant" gave a short lecture on black powder firearms and so on with the other students. They ALL had something to contribute. That type of feedback is what makes the live version shine over the online.

The lab portion live cannot be copied by watching a video. We ran drills simulating different stoppages with different firearms. The students acted as RSOs and shooters for the drills. Even the most experienced shooter/teacher learned from the drills.

Bottom line: If you just want to "punch your ticket" take the online version. If you want to learn as much as possible for your buck, find a LIVE class.

Same here took the Chief RSO online followed up with Roccos RSO hands on. You can't beat the hands on and knowlede sharing from a live class.

you can get chief rso online? where?

Archived