Got my renewal license today

UnderCover

Nice to see the people enforcing the laws feel free to ignore them. Can someone explain why the ISP feels free to issue the license for less than 5 years as required by law? Also, why do they not process and issue the renewal license so that the new license is issued on or the day after the current license expires. There is no more or less work involved doing it that way and it does not force a license holder to forfeit the (exorbinant) fees associated with the foregone days of licensure. Its not how they do it with vehicle registrations... Why does the same logic not apply? (Rhetorical, I know the answer.)

Nice to see the people enforcing the laws feel free to ignore them. Can someone explain why the ISP feels free to issue the license for less than 5 years as required by law? Also, why do they not process and issue the renewal license so that the new license is issued on or the day after the current license expires. There is no more or less work involved doing it that way and it does not force a license holder to forfeit the (exorbinant) fees associated with the foregone days of licensure. Its not how they do it with vehicle registrations... Why does the same logic not apply? (Rhetorical, I know the answer.)

They’ll get inundated with renewals as the end of February approaches and all the initial cards come due for renewal. My class is complete and I have my certificate, but I don’t plan to renew online until early February due to them ignoring current expiration dates. I expect many people to hold off for the same reason. It’s not just the money but the principle of being screwed out of 2+ months on an already exorbitantly priced constitutional right license.

They are following the law. It does not state that a renewed license starts at the expiration date of the old one.

" (430 ILCS 66/50)

Sec. 50. License renewal. Applications for renewal of a license shall be made to the Department. A license shall be renewed for a period of 5 years upon receipt of a completed renewal application, completion of 3 hours of training required under Section 75 of this Act, payment of the applicable renewal fee, and completion of an investigation under Section 35 of this Act. The renewal application shall contain the information required in Section 30 of this Act, except that the applicant need not resubmit a full set of fingerprints.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-756, eff. 7-16-14.) "

If they are following the law, then why is your initial 5 year period being reduced to less than 5 years.

430 ILCS 66/10

© A license shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance.

If they were following the law, then your license's expiration date would run concurrent to the original expiration date.

If they are following the law, then why is your initial 5 year period being reduced to less than 5 years.

430 ILCS 66/10

© A license shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance.

If they were following the law, then your license's expiration date would run concurrent to the original expiration date.

Why?

Because this is Illinois.

430 ILCS 66/10

THIS. We need the ISRA to file a class action lawsuit.

DON’T give the state extra money. DON’T renew early. Wait until the 11th hour to renew. Screw Illinois, like they repeatedly screw us.

430 ILCS 66/10

The license MUST last for 5 years per law. If you register your car or driver's license early it is always based on the expiration date. This should be an easy win. ISRA do something. Class action now!!!!!

430 ILCS 66/10

The license MUST last for 5 years per law. If you register your car or driver's license early it is always based on the expiration date. This should be an easy win. ISRA do something. Class action now!!!!!

The ISP is following the law as written. Section 50, not section 10, addresses renewals. Nothing in the law states that the new card does not become active until the previous card expires. It has been said here on IC many times that the law is poorly written.

" (430 ILCS 66/50)

Sec. 50. License renewal. Applications for renewal of a license shall be made to the Department. A license shall be renewed for a period of 5 years upon receipt of a completed renewal application, completion of 3 hours of training required under Section 75 of this Act, payment of the applicable renewal fee, and completion of an investigation under Section 35 of this Act. The renewal application shall contain the information required in Section 30 of this Act, except that the applicant need not resubmit a full set of fingerprints.

430 ILCS 66/10

The ISP is following the law as written. Section 50, not section 10, addresses renewals. Nothing in the law states that the new card does not become active until the previous card expires. It has been said here on IC many times that the law is poorly written.

" (430 ILCS 66/50)

You can't cherry pick what section applies. Section 10 says that your license is valid for 5 years. If they short change you by 2 or 3 months then they are not complying with the law. Section 10 and Section 50 coincide hand in hand.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

" (430 ILCS 66/50)

You can't cherry pick what section applies. Section 10 says that your license is valid for 5 years. If they short change you by 2 or 3 months then they are not complying with the law. Section 10 and Section 50 coincide hand in hand.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I agree, this is grounds for a class-action lawsuit by CCL holders, then, isn't it?

Any of the legal-minded ICers care to weigh in on the possibility/validity of that? It seems pretty cut and dried that the State is violating its own laws and being inconsistent with CCLs as compared to literally every other state-issued license, such as IDs and Driver's Licenses, that renew to run when the old license was set to expire.

Isn't that some sort of fraud, taking citizens' money and not giving them full value for it for what they are paying for?

ChicagoRonin, you are right. I also think this could be considered fraud on the state's part. We aren't talking pennies either. If you do the math, we're looking at FCCL holders as a group losing anywhere from $1.5 to $2.2 million dollars.

Probably more than that, considering the ancillary costs of fingerprinting, the class cost, ammunition for the testing, et cetera.

Given that just about every FCCL holder will renew early, over the next five years, that amount is going to be closer to about $5 million that the State of Illinois is defrauding CCL holders over, by ignoring the law and treating the CCL renewals differently than literally ever other license issued by the State.

I am wondering if the folks behind Illinois Carry are open to helping with a court case about this, the same way that they did with the CCL, and did with the Red Flag legislation recently.

I’m also holding off my renewal. My ccl expires in April, have the renewal cert in hand but will hold off until March to renew.

I wonder what will happen to the expiration date if a renewal goes into the "grace period". If the new license expiration date is beyond the original date, then at least their system is consistent, if malfunctional. If a "grace period" renewal gets backdated to the original expiration date, then they're intentionally screwing licensees. I'm reminded of the Office Space fractions of a cent thing.

I’m also holding off my renewal. My ccl expires in April, have the renewal cert in hand but will hold off until March to renew.

I wonder what will happen to the expiration date if a renewal goes into the "grace period". If the new license expiration date is beyond the original date, then at least their system is consistent, if malfunctional. If a "grace period" renewal gets backdated to the original expiration date, then they're intentionally screwing licensees. I'm reminded of the Office Space fractions of a cent thing.

Likely, the expiration date will echo the day the renewal goes ACTIVE.

Archived