Straight walled cartridges for deer hunting

Ranger

Handguns and deer hunting is something I truly enjoy. I own and have taken deer with a 460 S&W, 454 Casull and a 44 magnum here in our home state of Illinois. The 460 is a true deer stopper out past 100 yards. I shot a doe around 110 yards and it fell right over. The 454 is no slouch either and packs a wallop. However, the recoil on both is not for everybody and pistol skills must be practiced to be comfortable with. This is where the 44 magnum shines. Not too much recoil, accurate and definitely able to drop deer at a reasonable distance. Most important is to pick the correct ammo for hunting and PRACTICE. Good luck and remember your hearing protection because when hand cannons go off you will regret not wearing any.

Young son, who weighs 48 pounds, is hung ho on deer hunting next year. Wife, who is fairly petite, is strongly considering it too. Thinking it would offer more compact options with less kick for them.

I would look into a muzzleloader it was a lot easier for my Son to shoot then a 20ga with slugs by far I use to love going on our youth Deer hunt in early October

and a 44 magnum will kick about the same as a 30/30 with factory loads

There is no logical reason for the same cartridges that are legal for handgun hunting to not be able to be used in a rifle. If safety is the point, then pick the firearm that maximizes the hunter's ability to hit the target.

Of course there's no logical reason for an 6, 7 or 8 shot revolver to be legal, but all non-revolver handguns must be single shot.

There's no logical reason for much of what the IL GA does, but that doesn't stop them.

In the 1980s and 90s, several states passed laws against rifle hunting, because they feared what would happen if a hunter shot at a deer and missed. They believed the bullet would travel for ever and ever, never stopping, never slowing down, until it found a human being to kill, probably a child.

I'm not exaggerating.

Really.

But they thought shotgun slugs and pellets and handgun bullets would be okay.

Many of those states have since repealed their restrictions on rifle hunting.

Welcome to Illinois.

HB2783 was introduced earlier this year, and even passed the house. Unfortunately when it hit the senate, it was never given any real consideration and ended up parked in assignments. Bill's history at http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2783&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=119035&SessionID=108&SpecSess=&Session=&GA=101

I thought it was a wonderful idea and filed witness slips when appropriate to try to help it along. I hope this bill comes back.

Slightly off topic - this is my first post on this forum...the first time I had something meaningful to add. I found this site last year when I was following airgun-related legislation, and got a real education on the crummy Illinois politics surrounding gun law. Since then I've filed numerous witness slips, sent numerous letters to congressmen, and joined a few more state and national gun rights advocacy groups. My thanks to the administrators and senior members on this forum for all your hard work.

Under current Illinois law, every centerfire rifle is illegal for deer, even the ones chambered for the same cartridge as a pistol that is legal for hunting deer.

True

But you can chamber an AR pistol, (firearm with less than a 16 inch barrel and no traditional stock - legally a pistol) in 300 Black Out, get a special magazine follower that only allows single rounds to be loaded, and be perfectly legal to hunt deer. DNR actually put out a paper on this question outlining the requirements. Could possibly do other calibers, as long as they are at least 30 cal. But watch out for the case length limit for bottleneck cartridges. Because the state can't leave well enough the heck alone on anything, there is a limit to the case length. When last I looked, I *think* 300BO was the only bottleneck cartridge that met the requirement. Straight walled cartridges like 350 Legend don't have a case length requirement. Not sure how 350 Legend performs out of a less-than-16-inch barrel.

The IDNR annual hunting rules publication specifically states that the only legal handguns for deer hunting are a single shot pistol or a revolver with minimum 4” barrel. Semi-autos need not apply. You can refer to the manual for other requirements as to cartridge type and power.

You are correct, and "an AR pistol, (firearm with less than a 16 inch barrel and no traditional stock - legally a pistol) in 300 Black Out, get a special magazine follower that only allows single rounds to be loaded, and be perfectly legal to hunt deer."

But I'm not sure about that under 16" requirement for it to be a pistol.

I think in many parts of Illinois, hearing a rifle round during deer season is enough to get an uptight neighbor to jack up their pants and start dropping dimes to the conservation po po.

Legal or not.

Yep, I agree.

For me it was really refreshing to step out of the inlaws house this turkey holiday in Arkansas and hear the rifle reports coming from every direction, the father in law said a lot of land around him is rented out by the local deer club(s).

Under current Illinois law, every centerfire rifle is illegal for deer, even the ones chambered for the same cartridge as a pistol that is legal for hunting deer.

True

But you can chamber an AR pistol, (firearm with less than a 16 inch barrel and no traditional stock - legally a pistol) in 300 Black Out, get a special magazine follower that only allows single rounds to be loaded, and be perfectly legal to hunt deer. DNR actually put out a paper on this question outlining the requirements. Could possibly do other calibers, as long as they are at least 30 cal. But watch out for the case length limit for bottleneck cartridges. Because the state can't leave well enough the heck alone on anything, there is a limit to the case length. When last I looked, I *think* 300BO was the only bottleneck cartridge that met the requirement. Straight walled cartridges like 350 Legend don't have a case length requirement. Not sure how 350 Legend performs out of a less-than-16-inch barrel.

My son is looking to do this next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True

My son is looking to do this next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built and used one this year. Worked great. I just unclip the front sling swivel, push out the takedown pins and replace my 10.5 inch 5.56 upper with my 10.5 inch 300BO upper with a 3-9x scope on the top rail. I sourced a barrel with a carbine length gas system (most 300BO are pistol length) for a slightly gentler recoil impulse, though 300BO is not much worse than 5.56. I bought an inexpensive metal 10rd. magazine (all the rest of my 10rd mags are polymer, so this differentiates it immediately) and replaced the traditional follower with a sled follower. Allows one round to be dropped into an open bolt, push the bolt release to close, and then it locks the bolt open after the shot. With high quality projectiles the deer is DRT, as long as I take care of my business.

FYI, ILDNR has said repeatedly in clarifying letters and memoranda that the operative portion of the relevant firearm regulation is "single shot". You can have automatic extraction of the fired case, but you must manually reload a new round. This is different from several eastern states where you could have a 5 round magazine, but could not have auto extraction and loading. This was remedied by removing the gas tube from your AR and cycling the action by hand after each shot.

FYI, ILDNR has said repeatedly in clarifying letters and memoranda that the operative portion of the relevant firearm regulation is "single shot". You can have automatic extraction of the fired case, but you must manually reload a new round. This is different from several eastern states where you could have a 5 round magazine, but could not have auto extraction and loading. This was remedied by removing the gas tube from your AR and cycling the action by hand after each shot.

Kali Key turns an AR into a bolt action. It was made to jump through hoops in California, but it could work anywhere. I'm not sure if IDNR would agree.

Kali Key turns an AR into a bolt action. It was made to jump through hoops in California, but it could work anywhere. I'm not sure if IDNR would agree.

The problem would be the magazine capacity. DNR doesn't care about the method of case extraction (semi auto, manual, whatever). They do care about the magazine capacity. That would be ZERO. Unless it is a revolver, a handgun must be a single shot firearm in order to be hunting-legal in the People's Republic of Illinois.

I would be willing to bet politicians are somehow making bank off of ammunition manufacturers and distributors who load and sell sabot slugs. They're priced like their gold and components to load the best ones in a shotgun sabot slug are extremely hard to find.

Its the Illinois way, if we could use centerfire rifles I wouldn't be buying ammunition just alot of components which do not make as much money.

Archived