its going to get worse before it gets better

Tvandermyde

I'll try top keep this short but its gonna ramble a bit.

So you're upset by Trump. Fine. Don't forget that Bush gave us the import ban and started us down this road. And if you think Hillary was a better option, you're folling yourself. We can only deal with the choices that we have infront of us. And Trump was a better choice.

We are now seeing very broad bills in Illinois about "ghost" guns and other things. they are going to try and bring back the lethal violence protection orders BS along with semi-auto bans and others. It is going to be a knock down drag out fight. Having been doing this for a while it has a feel of Colombine all over again. The mentality of many is that we just need to do something -- anything.

And most are not looking at what laws we have here in Illinois and stacking them up against the fact pattern of what took place in Florida. We you look at those two sets of facts, it is highly unlikely that it would have happened here.

That being said, their is still an appitite to do something -- anything. Last Fall ISRA got together and trimmed down langauge on bumpstocks. What they did actaully helped and alloowed us to work against the bill by showing how broad it was and how poorly written it was.

Their actions did a lot of good and saved us from a lot worse. Remember this no legislator here is going to defend machineguns. And everyone knew that bumpstocks were a work around and would cause us problems some day. Well that day has come.

Now some say don't give an inch. Thats fine in theory, but this is Illinois, two steps away from Commie California.

We have chicago dems runiing both chambers. we have large democratic majorities in both chambers. You saw what they did to us even when we had a court order directing them to pass a carry law. So understand the playing field we are on.

I no longer work for NRA, so my role is a bit different. FFL-IL is a pro 2A organization and any bill that effects the ability to deliver firearms to our customers we will oppose. and bill that impacts our customers ability to aquire firearms we will oppose.

Right now we are doing triage as a group, ISRA, NRA, FFL-IL, GSL, IC and the like. And that means you save what you can and work on that.

To me, the tannerite bills are not a hill to die on. You can try to say no to everything but its not going to get us far. Similar to bump stocks. We beat back all the trigger mod stuff because we could show how broad it was. I can't spell out all the votes and strategy as we all know the other side lurks here and lets face it, I've had a better handle on this game than they ever did.

But we are in Illinois. the national mood after Florida is against us. And NRA's strategy is to hide and play ostrich until they think it blows over. essentially they have ceded the field to the otherside and we are left as smaller groups to get our messgae out or as individuals on social media haveing never ending debates with people who barely know which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of.

Add to that we can't even get endorsements for A rated candidates out of HQ when we have a primary less than 30 days away. And I will tell you that HQ doesn't know how to handle Illinois any longer. the guys running state and local have never lobbied a bill start to finish, nor overrode a veto of a governor. They have no clue what this fight looks like from the ground where I am standing.

Add to that they moved out Shannon, and now shes not even gonna be around to help give advice about Illinois, not that those guys would take it.

So quit whining about bump stocks or Trump or whatever it is. We are going to have to pull ourselves up by our own boot straps, make our own arguements and make way more noise than the unimored masses on the other side.

I've done 3 interviews in the last 24 hours. I have much more freedom to get "our side" of the story out since NRA isn't.

There is also a state rep who is trolling my FB page and sending that stuff out to reporters trying to make hay out of my commnets to some of you in explaining what is going on.

Leaders don't just make nice speeches. And take the high road when things are easy. They have the responsibility to tell the truth when things are bad and to take positions when its not the most popular thing to do. Its not cheering you on, its looking you in the eye, telling you what you don't want to hear, and then getting you to buy in to a plan to succeed. Its not ceding the field to the otherside, its meeting them on the battlefield of ideas head on.

We are working on a plan. I know not what shape it is going to take or how it will play out. the fact that the House is not in this week helps. But it is going to get worse and look pretty dim at moments before it gets better.

My role is different today than it was before. Doens't mean I'm leaving the battlefield. And I don't profess to have all the ideas or answers. But I will give my best. I still live here with my family, and have to look all of you in the eye at the end of the day.

This is going to make some mad, SAF has nor ground game. Neither does GOA. Illinois carry is still largly an on line community but works well at alerting the grass roots to take action. GSL helps a lot with their membership, web page and out reach.

That kinda leaves ISRA as the other vialble option that works across the spectrum. they have hired more lobbyists over the last year and we are working to improve our depth. Our team is bigger and better than its ever been, ot it was until a couple of weeks ago, but we will fill in the gaps

*** Let me add that you can go tot he FFL-IL facebook page and donate there as we are picking up the slack in this fight as much as we can

It's good to hear from you Todd, given the position we are in after this last mental defective's attack on our children and our freedoms!

Glad to see you're still in the fight! As you've always said: "FREEDOM isn't FREE!"

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sharing this from "luckydawg 13"s post because I think it's good ammo.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67869&p=1129834

Here's the direct link to the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/16/florida-teacher-years-gun-violence-post-goes-viral-after-school-shooting.html

So what's involved in becoming a self funded lobbyist?

If you register will people meet with you if you buy nice lunches and dinners on your own dime? Or do you have to come swinging with big campaign dollars?

I'm by Springfield usually once or twice a month, do you have to be there more?

My biggest problem with the NRA is they give money to states where a 2A agenda is not challenged, compromise on a federal level, and do less and less for Illinois and the handful of Democrat 2a supporters.

My biggest gripe right now is the Cook FFL licensing fee (ordinance decided in Cook) that prevents me from being a kitchen table FFL.

Do you have more access to local politicians as registered lobbyist? Is it possible to be a lobbyist part time?

Todd

Your statement:

Add to that we can't even get endorsements for A rated candidates out of HQ when we have a primary less than 30 days away. And I will tell you that HQ doesn't know how to handle Illinois any longer. the guys running state and local have never lobbied a bill start to finish, nor overrode a veto of a governor. They have no clue what this fight looks like from the ground where I am standing.

This is having a profound impact on those in difficult primarys. Some are unable to defeat the lies being spread by their opponents even though the have 100% pro second amendment voting records.

Something else most may not have considered. The NRA has their hands full with the convention originally slated for Dallas. This Florida school shooting goes down and the leftist mayor of Dallas says they cannot have their convention there. I seem to recall another convention the NRA had to reschedule on short notice and set up elsewhere a few years ago. It is almost like the left has potential shooters whacked out on mind altering drugs, then every few years one of them is pushed over the edge and we are again on defense.

Something else most may not have considered. The NRA has their hands full with the convention originally slated for Dallas. This Florida school shooting goes down and the leftist mayor of Dallas says they cannot have their convention there. I seem to recall another convention the NRA had to reschedule on short notice and set up elsewhere a few years ago. It is almost like the left has potential shooters whacked out on mind altering drugs, then every few years one of them is pushed over the edge and we are again on defense.

Columbine aftermath?

Archived