IL CCW Trainer Short guide

mjw45

This thread is to provide a place for information becoming an Illinois Approved Concealed Carry Instructor (CCI).

Please keep discussions and questions in the appropriate threads listed in following posts.

Commments/corrections on this thread are welcome, I'd just like to keep this thread as concise as possible.

If you have something so add or a question, but don't want to clutter this thread, feel free to IM me and I will get to it as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Matt Wehland

Below are links to the Illinois State Police Concealed Carry information as of 8/31/13.

ISP CCW Info Start Page

ISP CCW Curriculum Info

ISP CCW Curriculum Approval Request Form

ISP CCW Online Application

ISP CCW Instructor Approval Signature Form

ISP CCW LiveScan Fingerprint Authorization Form

(may need to shrink to fit to print correctly)

IL Firearm Concealed Carry Act (FCCA)

IL Concealed Carry Instructor (CCI) Application Guide- short version

---- CCI INSTRUCTOR APPLICATION -------

Get Fingerprinted at Livescan Facility-

LiveScan Vendor Thread

Print out fingerprint authorization form and take with you to Livescan facility.

Take Drivers License or State issued ID with you.

Fill in Livescan vendor information, Transaction Control Number (TCN) is needed for online instructor application.

TCN provided will be 16 digits, this is a very important number.

Keep the form, you will need to mail it in.

Fill out and submit Online CCI Application

Include TCN

Print, fill out and mail in

ISP CCW Instructor Approval Signature Form, Include TCN, (must be notarized)

Livescan authorization form

Copy of Instructor credentials.

Mail to:

Illinois State Police

Concealed Carry Instructor Approval Application

Post Office Box 19333

Springfield IL 62794

------ CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE CURRICULUM APPROVAL ------

Print, fill in and Mail Concealed Carry License Curriculum Approval Form

Needs to be notarized

Actual curriculum does NOT need to be mailed in. ISP may request a copy of your curriculum if needed.

Mail to:

Illinois State Police

Concealed Carry License Firearms Curriculum

Post Office Box 19333

Springfield IL 62974

Fingerprinting info

Fingerprinting for CCI thread

LiveScan Vendor Thread

Not all LiveScan vendors listed on some ISP lists are truly certified and operational right now.

Some vendors listed on the ISP lists only list the home office, while they may offer many finger printing locations.

Police departments are prohibited from civilian LiveScan fingerprinting unless they jump through additional hoops, so don't expect them to be able to do your CCW/CCI prints just because they have LiveScan capabilities for in house use.

Please refer to threads listed above for more information.

Instructor Approval

Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor Application Questions.

To figure out date for NRA certification, either contact NRA or back date from your expiration.

Take your expiration date and delete the number of years certified.

This only works if Basic Pistol was the first class you took, I can't use this method for any of the other classes I took after.

If no business name just the best answer i have heard is to put-

N/A and your home address (online form needs address)

Need address's of places lived at for the past 10 years (I used google maps to find an old house and read the address off of the mailbox, then checked the county tax assessor for verification).

When successfully submitted you will be returned to an 'Illinois concealed carry firearms instructor registration' page.

It took me a minute to see where it says

'Your Concealed Carry Instructor Approval Application has been submitted',

(Right at the top of the window) I thought it had crashed and dumped me back to a normal page. Anxiety I guess.

Fill out Approval signature form and get notarized.

Check your bank, many will notarize for free, otherwise my local currency exchange is only $1.

Make copy of you instructor credentials and mail in.

NRA Instructors can print out their certificates at

NRA Instructor Portal

Illinois State Police

Concealed Firearms Instructor Approval Application

Post Office Box 19333

Springfield, IL 62794

Curriculum approval

Course requirements info- initial sections 1-5, do not just check the boxes.

You do NOT send in your curriculum, just the initialed form attesting that your curriculum meets the requirements.

Thread for questions on IL IL Concealed Carry Firearms Curriculum

Ok so I changed my mind and sent my curriculum approval app in.

If they change/correct things I will just update and send in again if I have to.

Original post edited for mailing in fingerprint form.

Get Fingerprinted at Livescan Facility-

Print out fingerprint authorization form and take with you to livescan facility

Fill in Livescan vendor information, Transaction Control Number (TCN) is needed.

Keep the form for your records.

At the bottom of the finger print form, it says this form has to be mailed in as well.

the only portion of the application i don't understand is the "request for approval of a conceal carry license firearms cirriculum"

are you guys initialing each and every training requirement 1-5 and the renewal 1-2 MAKING THE ASSUMPTION that the approval form is....in and of itself, a list of the requiremnets for which we have to provide to students?

In other words, why can't I initial each and every training requirement which will serve as an acknowledgement, that when i teach a course, I will address each of these as this list serves as a curriculum checklist?

those of you who have completed all of the application, what did you do here?

I have a totally different understanding of this requirement.

The ISP is going to list a registry of approved instructors.

They are going to list a registry of approved courses.

Mr./Mrs./Ms Instructor will choose a course from the approved list to instruct.

You only fill out the approved course form if you are submitting your own course.

We should know more after Todd talks with the ISP today. I would suggest waiting until we hear from him.

You only fill out the approved course form if you are submitting your own course.

We should know more after Todd talks with the ISP today. I would suggest waiting until we hear from him.

Sounds good.

I'm dying to lick a stamp on these, but i will hold my application.

thanks V

Ok it's almost 11:00 where is Vandrmyde?

I'm getting my prints done today and then just holding my horses on everything else for a few more days

yep.....got mine done on the 30th, and I already did the isp website app.

but I've got all the rest of the paperwork sitting here waiting for our hard-workin' IC crew to give us the green light on the rest.

the only portion of the application i don't understand is the "request for approval of a conceal carry license firearms cirriculum"

are you guys initialing each and every training requirement 1-5 and the renewal 1-2 MAKING THE ASSUMPTION that the approval form is....in and of itself, a list of the requiremnets for which we have to provide to students?

In other words, why can't I initial each and every training requirement which will serve as an acknowledgement, that when i teach a course, I will address each of these as this list serves as a curriculum checklist?

This is exactly how my co-trainer and I understood it...

Initial off each line, teach a class that covers all the topics for the prescribed amounts of time...

Or, wait for a commercially available, approved course, and buy it.

I'm getting my prints done today and then just holding my horses on everything else for a few more days
yep.....got mine done on the 30th, and I already did the isp website app. but I've got all the rest of the paperwork sitting here waiting for our hard-workin' IC crew to give us the green light on the rest.

You can always send in your instructor paperwork now and then send in the curriculum paperwork at a later time.

This is exactly how my co-trainer and I understood it...

Initial off each line, teach a class that covers all the topics for the prescribed amounts of time...

Or, wait for a commercially available, approved course, and buy it.

whats the odds the ISP never considered commercially available courses

I was referring to CLIC and classes like that that may surface in the future.

I mean, If I develop a course, and it is approved and listed on the ISP's website, it is still MY class and others will not be teaching it. Whereas, when CLIC in approved, there will be dozens of instructors teaching it.

I was referring to CLIC and classes like that that may surface in the future.

I mean, If I develop a course, and it is approved and listed on the ISP's website, it is still MY class and others will not be teaching it. Whereas, when CLIC in approved, there will be dozens of instructors teaching it.

I hear you - I just wonder if the ISP considered there would be dozens teaching the same playbook

I am just waiting for a slew of "for profit" training outfits to get curriculum approved and flood the market with different "instructor packets" for sale for $1,000's...

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., September 3, 2013 at 05:53 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., September 3, 2013 at 05:53 PM - No reason given

I am just waiting for a slew of "for profit" training outfits to get curriculum approved and flood the market with different "instructor packets" for sale for $1,000's...

Like NACFI?

:frantics:

Just added a few changes to the guide and info sections.

Biggest on is that the application and curriculum both go to the same address, but are addressed to different departments/sections.

So I wouldn't suggest using the same envelope for both, they might get to the right people, they might not.

I had the address in the guide wrong for the application.

Matt

Just added a few changes to the guide and info sections.

Biggest on is that the application and curriculum both go to the same address, but are addressed to different departments/sections.

So I wouldn't suggest using the same envelope for both, they might get to the right people, they might not.

I had the address in the guide wrong for the application.

Matt

Good eye, I didn't even notice that.

Please correct me if i am wrong; but after review of the "Request for Approval of a Concealed Carry License Firearms Curriculum" it is my understanding that we will not be submitting any curriculum we are just verifying that the curriculum that we teach shall include the outline on the form - reason why we initial each line within the time frame noted. If our curriculum is ever noted not to meet this document {ie: student in court for whatever reason} we are subject to perjury. But no curriculum is to be submitted nor approved.

Please correct me if i am wrong; but after review of the "Request for Approval of a Concealed Carry License Firearms Curriculum" it is my understanding that we will not be submitting any curriculum we are just verifying that the curriculum that we teach shall include the outline on the form - reason why we initial each line within the time frame noted. If our curriculum is ever noted not to meet this document {ie: student in court for whatever reason} we are subject to perjury. But no curriculum is to be submitted nor approved.

From MollyB's post yesterday:

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

•  

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 AM

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

Correct, do not send in curriculum, just the initialed curriculum form.

Listed in post #2

http://illinoiscarry...15

and now in #6

Matt

Listed in post #2

and now in #6

Matt

But isn't this different than what MollyB said? Not being argumentative, mind you. I understand her to say we don't fill it out unless we are submitting our own curriculum. In her words:

I have the curriculum form filled out and notarized and ready, and I put Basic Pistol and CLIC as the curriculum choices, and I checked all the boxes, but I am not mailing it in until/unless I get clearer instructions.

Listed in post #2

and now in #6

Matt

But isn't this different than what MollyB said? Not being argumentative, mind you. I understand her to say we don't fill it out unless we are submitting our own curriculum. In her words:

I have the curriculum form filled out and notarized and ready, and I put Basic Pistol and CLIC as the curriculum choices, and I checked all the boxes, but I am not mailing it in until/unless I get clearer instructions.

hey Mat; That is what I did and sent it out today. So we'll see what happens -

Bottom of page 1 of the

ISP CCW Curriculum Approval Request Form

-----

If requested, you must provide a complete curriculum outline and instructional notes. Do not provide

additional information unless specifically requested.

------

Also they tell you what else needs to be sent in with this form at the bottom of page 3-

Signature.

Matt

• Molly B. unpinned this topic

Archived