CCL Holder Accidentally Shoots Self - Morton Grove

kwc

For those that pocket carry....what do you carry?

That is starting to make more sense.....my IWB was annoying with a Shield9.

Maybe a Ruger LCP? That is what my instructor had recommended.

I pocket carry a LCP II in a DeSantis Super Fly and have done so since late 2016. I also carry IWB when wearing Jeans and a belt.

Depending on your body type and style of dress, OWBmay be a viable option, too. I carried IWB for the first two years or so, always dismissing OWB as an option. Then I came to realize that I carried with short untucked nearly all the time. Always thought OWB was too exposed below the beltline, but a good OWB holster combined with a compact pistol is mostly carried above the beltline. I picked up a couple of AlienGear OWB holsters for my preferred pistols, tried them out, and never looked back. Paddle holsters are easy to work with, secure, and very easy to take off without removing belt

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I dunno, if you cannot manage to handle a loaded gun in a way to not shoot yourself, maybe you get some more training.

He may have been disarming, but what was his finger doing on the trigger? That is one possible reason the gun was fired. Another could be that he was removing the weapon in a way that had something else able to activate the trigger. I make sure that since disarming to go into certain places is required that I have a safe way to do so. For example I remove the gun while it is in the holster. That way the trigger is never exposed and the risk to an accidental discharge is basically zero!

You're right...and so are they. Yes, more training and familiarity, and instilling the right mindset are crucial to avoiding NDs, and is using a rig that comes off of the belt as one unit. But even so, the risk of an ND goes up nearly infinitely when the pistol is being handled, and the pistol is at its safest when left untouched. Laws that require people to disarm for "safety" are by definition stupid. Perhaps they are written with a lack of understanding of firearm safety. Perhaps they are written in the cynical hope of causing accidents (NDs) to fuel further restrictions. But there is no intelligent argument that compelling people to handle loaded firearms is safer than allowing those firearms to remain safely on the licensee's hip. Period.

I don't think anyone is arguing that handling a gun is safer than leaving it alone nor that disarming is a good law. I think we all agree that leaving a gun alone is safer than handling one. And we can also agree that having to disarm is not a good law. But for the time being it is what it is.

The gist of the original statement is that one should be able to handle a gun safely if they plan to carry. How the ND happened, we don't know really. But are we really going to blame the law for it happening?

I pocket carry almost exclusively due to having to stow it during the work day. I've carried a Kahr CM9 a lot, but have gone to the G43 in the last couple months because I shoot it soooo much faster. Both in a Galco Pocket Protector, which is thin suede leather, and the thinnest holster I've found. It takes some getting used to. Nothing is more practical for the CCer than pocket carry.

I'm a big fan of pocket carry, for the convenience and concealment, as well as eliminating any problems when using public restrooms. The only negatives are when wearing pants/shorts with very small pockets (I avoid buying anything like that, let alone any clothing with no pockets at all) and difficult access when sitting down. Neither of these disadvantages offset, in my mind, the ease of carry and ability to quickly draw. Unlike IWB, OWB, Mexican Carry or other methods, with pocket carry you can, if things are looking dicey, place your hand on your gun without alarming anyone or giving anything away, and be ready to draw even quicker. And in the worst case, where you are being held at gunpoint and your wallet or other item is demanded, you can meekly act like you are readily complying with the demand but come up with your gun instead of the demanded item and at least have a good chance of prevailing.

Xds with grip safety for me. I rarely remove the gun from the holster unless I am at the range. When I put it back in I put two fingers on the slide, no reason to touch the grip and deactivate the safety.
Manual safeties are mechanical devices, prone to failure, and should never be relied upon to do their job.

I've pocket carried several different guns (PPKS, sig 938, LCP, glock 42, glock 26, for getting some). The ones I do regularly are the 938 and lcp. The others just don't work as well for me doing that.

Much depends upon your size / shape, Jean pocket size / shape. For most of mine, the 938 works, but the 42 doesn't. Little counter intuitive.

Be aware that you're probably pointing a loading gun at someone when sitting down (like in church pew) pocket carrying so keep it in holster with nothing else in that pocket. Also remember that slightly less than useless when in front pocket set belted in. Pretty dang comforting though to be able to discretely have hand on gun in pocket when standing walking in shady area.

For those that pocket carry....what do you carry?

That is starting to make more sense.....my IWB was annoying with a Shield9.

Maybe a Ruger LCP? That is what my instructor had recommended.

For pocket carry, I carry either a Ruger LCP Custom or a Kahr CM40... depends on the pockets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I kept going lighter until I got to a Ruger LCP Custom with an extended mag. 7+1, Precision Ammo, pancake holster all year. I'm comfortable and feel safe.

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one: I usually carry OWB with a cover garment, and every OWB holster I own at this point has belt loops that the belt must pass through, as well as active retention. I've never trusted removable holsters to stay put while I was wearing the handgun. I've got one of these:

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/collections/holsters/products/protos-m

for my Sig, and it's as close as I've come yet to an IWB removable that I trust to stay put. I ordered it with the plastic hooks, and they're very stout. It's the only IWB that I own that has never tried to work its way off of my belt during a good walk. Yeah, it's spendy, but it's worth it.

Otherwise, if it's a 1911 day, I've got a Safariland ALS. If it's the H&K, it's a Safariland GLS. For my P365, I've got a DeSantis Facilitator.

I dunno. Maybe it's just a question of what's more important to you. For me, I'd rather have positive weapon retention and trust my training with my firearm when it comes to dis/rearming when getting into and out of my car.

Bri

That blackrch is a god looking holster. Is it tuckable?

Yep. Very comfortable, very breathable, and the kydex is molded so that it goes around the trigger guard. There’s a screw that goes right next to the trigger guard that can be tightened to adjust retention. It’s one of two hybrid IWB holsters that I’ve owned that has never unclipped from my belt. The other one had spring steel clips that are holes in my shirts and marked up the dining room chairs.

The only downside I can think of to the Black Arch holster is that the breathable neoprene that they use absolutely reeks for a week or so of wear. It’s noticeable enough that they even include a piece of paper talking about it in the package with the holster. It’s not really noticeable when it’s under a shirt, and after a week or so, isn’t really noticeable at all.

It’s twice as much as an Aliengear holster, but you get three times the product for your money.

My $0.02,

Bri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived