Dick's Sporting Goods Getting Whacked, and Sales Sagging

quackersmacker

55% of Dick's sales are in apparel and footwear. Those are showing sales growth everywhere. Also, Dick's reduced inventories across the board (not just guns) so they had less purchasing expense in this quarter. They've been expelled from the National Shooting Sports Foundation. I'm never gonna shop there again, but lots of people will, and most of them either don't care or just don't know any better than to not support these traitors.

Not just spin no matter how much you may hate Dick's position on firearms. You don't compare 4th quarter sales that include Christmas to 1st quarter sales after the Christmas binge. You compare sales for like quarters. Just face it, firearms and related products were a very minor part of Dick's sales and even if they sold $0, there would be little impact since they would use the floor square footage to add other products. Apparently there is little impact of any boycott of all Dick's products due to their stance on firearms. Also, it is not like pro-gun groups are outside protesting at every Dick's store.

Not just spin no matter how much you may hate Dick's position on firearms. You don't compare 4th quarter sales that include Christmas to 1st quarter sales after the Christmas binge. You compare sales for like quarters. Just face it, firearms and related products were a very minor part of Dick's sales and even if they sold $0, there would be little impact since they would use the floor square footage to add other products. Apparently there is little impact of any boycott of all Dick's products due to their stance on firearms. Also, it is not like pro-gun groups are outside protesting at every Dick's store.

Sorry, but it IS spin. Proof is ALL of the usual MSM outlets are trumpeting "See stance on Assault Weapons doesn't hurt business", while their sales HAVE declined al quarter. But, that last part is not reported. Wonder why.

I think you all missed ( and I'm surprised) Mike Keleher's May 26, 2018 post over at the GSL blog...

Dick's opened a new store in Gurnee, on Friday, May 25

There were NO firearms, ammo or accessories, there was NO archery equipment, no hunting stuff.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/dicks-opens-new-store-gurnee-no-guns-no-ammo-no-customers/

To be fair, there were about half a dozen soft air guns on display and a couple of slingshots. The slingshots did not appear to be high capacity. Oh yeah, and some darts with plastic tips…I

New corporate direction i guess.

Mike is a new writer on the blog, and is a former NCIS agent (for real!!) who has written several books.

Met him last Sunday at the chicagoland GSL meeting at 159th and Harlem. Talked a while...

Had a colleague the other day tell me he was going to dicks to get a hunting vest.... I told him I would never shop there because they are anti-2A..... he said he doesnt base his purchases on such things....... I said besides that you will pass 3 walmarts on your way home where you can get the same vest much cheaper...... he said he would never shop there because of how they treated their employees.... SMH

Sorry, but it IS spin. Proof is ALL of the usual MSM outlets are trumpeting "See stance on Assault Weapons doesn't hurt business", while their sales HAVE declined al quarter. But, that last part is not reported. Wonder why.

There’s your opinion and then there’s the real real world of business facts, GAAP, reporting requirements and public equities markets.

Media commentary and gun nut screeching aside, Dicks is doing fine and has suffered no meaningful loss as a result of our little boycott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s your opinion and then there’s the real real world of business facts, GAAP, reporting requirements and public equities markets.

Media commentary and gun nut screeching aside, Dicks is doing fine and has suffered no meaningful loss as a result of our little boycott.

SO their declining sales over this first quarter start to finish are meaningless? Got ya. I forgot your word is inviolate, oops. You do realize that those reporting requirements, just like all statistics, can, will and are used to 'spin' for a dialog, ALL the time. BUT, keep on supporting and defending those actively working to erode our rights. GOOD long term strategy that.

SO their declining sales over this first quarter start to finish are meaningless? Got ya. I forgot your word is inviolate, oops. You do realize that those reporting requirements, just like all statistics, can, will and are used to 'spin' for a dialog, ALL the time. BUT, keep on supporting and defending those actively working to erode our rights. GOOD long term strategy that.

Again, screeching aside, they are doing fine. Simple math of more soccer moms than gunnies. Soccer moms spend more money annually on soft goods than gunnies do on hard goods. Soft goods much more profitable than hard goods.

Amazon is huge threat to Dick’s P&L. We are not. I’ve not spent money at Dick’s in years. Out position is irrelevant to their financial performance.

It’s sad. I used to live near original store and stopped in almost weekly. Great place for hunting, fishing, camping. Nothing like the business it is today. That is also irrelevant.

Again, screeching aside, they are doing fine. Simple math of more soccer moms than gunnies. Soccer moms spend more money annually on soft goods than gunnies do on hard goods. Soft goods much more profitable than hard goods.

Amazon is huge threat to Dick’s P&L. We are not. I’ve not spent money at Dick’s in years. Out position is irrelevant to their financial performance.

It’s sad. I used to live near original store and stopped in almost weekly. Great place for hunting, fishing, camping. Nothing like the business it is today. That is also irrelevant.

'Soccer Moms' don't generally shop at their Field and Stream or Golf ________ stores.

• 5 months later...

After going through the various threads about Dick's,I didn't see this brought up.After a 3rd quarter sales decline of about 4%, they are considering pulling all hunting supplies from all their stores after a test run of this policy in 10 stores,thinking this could help.https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dicks-sporting-goods-mulls-ridding-hunting-supplies-from-all-732-stores/ .So after seeing whether or not pulling sporting goods out of the 10 stores that sell the least sporting goods to begin with,didn't effect sales in those same stores they seem to be leaning to alienating outdoorsmen too.Dick's is the only place anywhere near me really that sells hunting supplies,and I haven't gone there in years.Seem to following The Sports Authority down the old drain.

From an article, I read the other day Dick's is spinning in circles trying to find replacement (and most importantly returning) customers for their recent 'gun' sales loses, and thus far it's not working. Apparently, when they initially dropped the AR platform rifles and bumped the purchase age up to 21 there was a surge of new other interest customers but they failed to hook those 'new' customers as return customers, so it's of little surprise they are going to try adjusting inventory now to try and hook new customers instead of admitting they made some bonehead business moves.

I personally never liked the store, visited a few back during the ammo shortage but that is about the extent of it.

Dick's is about selling overpriced Chinese shoes, polyester clothes, and golf clubs. They have a few odds and ends for other sporting interests, but clothes, shoes, and clubs seems to be where it's at.

Yep!

But if they are looking to bring back in a gun line, maybe they can start carrying Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms products? ;-)

Archived