Renewal, and mobile phones

ceb

My CCW expires in late March of 2019, so am starting to think of renewal. I've seen on here a couple of refrences to having problems with using a mobile phone to sign on or attempt the renewal process. As my only internet access is currently through my cell phone, i was wondering what others experience has been?

Ceb,

This notice appears in the renewal website:

DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A SMART PHONE OR TABLET. Errors from mobile interface can result in application denial. Only attempt renewal within 90 days of your expiration date. Finally, please ensure your address on file with the Secretary of State is up-to-date because applications and SOS addresses MUST match.

Using a computer at the library or borrowing one from a friend might be prudent. I could imagine that a denial because you use a mobile phone might cause you all sorts of difficulties.

Good luck!

I think it has to do with the program along with the security they are using. Not sure if it would get blocked but you may want to try a computer at the local library. Just make sure to log off everything and save nothing to the drive.

Without knowing what kind of logging might be in place at a public computer, it would not be my first choice.

I think it has to do with the program along with the security they are using. Not sure if it would get blocked but you may want to try a computer at the local library. Just make sure to log off everything and save nothing to the drive.

Without knowing what kind of logging might be in place at a public computer, it would not be my first choice.

Agreed 100%. If you can use a buddies computer instead, the negative thoughts on security should dwindle. Library PC would be a worst case scenario.

Well let me ask this, 5yrs ago on initial application i used a home computer, but my acccess was still through a Verzion cell phone tower. Wondering what the difference is. My wife has a laptop she can tether through her phone. Would that work? Obviously I'm a bit technically challenged.

It's the phones OS.

If it's fast enough, using the phone as a hotspot for a laptop should work.

I no longer use a computer unless it's my work laptop. For 99% of my personal screen time I use my phone.

For the 1% personal time where I can't use my phone, my $120 Samsung Chromebook fits the bill (ie. Spreadsheets, PowerPoints, apps that need a bigger screen, etc.)

I was able to do the renewal with my Chromebook without problems.

If all I had was a phone and a Chromebook, I'm betting that setting the phone as a hotspot for the Chromebook would work.

Archived