What is up with the NRA

djmarkla

I got my easy pay life monthly bill the other day. I wrote a note on the back of the remittance stub .... As long as Wayne LaPierre was CEO of the NRA ,I would no longer be a paying member of the NRA. I also did not send a $25.00 check .

I have always defended the NRA and strongly believe that without them we would have lost or rights years ago. With that said , they have not been that strong in protecting our 2A rights for several years and I will not support W. P.'s wardrobe and lavish trips with my money . Get rid of Him and a bunch of the board members and I will be back. Stop the cash flow and things will change!

Here is whats up as I see it...

Wayne and Ack Mac were at odds over something, we may never really know what. I don't think either party represents gun owners.

Ack Mac tried to push wayne out utilizing those within the NRA who are loyal to Ack Mac and started a war. Since Ack Mac fired the first shot Wayne has been playing the game and Wayne is winning. What we are seeing here is Wayne pushing out his rivals and consolidating his power.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received a renewal gift from the NRA. I forgot all about it and never really expected to see it. All I ever received from them are the hats, and I never specifically asked for them.

One time I renewed at Cabela's and got handed a gift certificate, that was nice.

I tried to be a good member. I called to get myself off of the mailing list. I switched my magazine subscription to online vs mail. I even sent extra money when they begged.

But something I never received until today was the free gift of my choosing. I can't say if it's the NRA or the Post Office that was ripping me off. My guess is that it wasn't the NRA.

Whenever I specified a gift like a knife, flashlight, travel mug etc. I would get an empty envelope that was torn open on a corner. One time there was an empty box inside the torn open envelope.

They used to ship UPS, and then UPS would hand off the last leg to the post office. I believe this is where the theft would occur.

I say this because today, for the first time ever, my gift arrived and it was sent USPS with tracking, in a smaller padded envelope.

Informed delivery told my to expect it, I had no idea what it was. It was a Green Coyote Knife. Very similar in size to a well worn 511 knife I usually have on me all of the time. It is sharp out of the box and I may move the 511 to one of my bug bags after I break this new one in.

I used to feel guilty about selecting a gift, but I never would get them. I suspected that the NRA would send out empty ripped envelopes,but now I k ow better.

But now I don't feel guilty anymore seeing how I can get a pocket knife, or the board members can get new silk suits. You know, that whole o line magazine thing is not as convenient as the print copy. Hmmm.

Today I received a renewal gift from the NRA. I forgot all about it and never really expected to see it. All I ever received from them are the hats, and I never specifically asked for them.

One time I renewed at Cabela's and got handed a gift certificate, that was nice.

I tried to be a good member. I called to get myself off of the mailing list. I switched my magazine subscription to online vs mail. I even sent extra money when they begged.

But something I never received until today was the free gift of my choosing. I can't say if it's the NRA or the Post Office that was ripping me off. My guess is that it wasn't the NRA.

Whenever I specified a gift like a knife, flashlight, travel mug etc. I would get an empty envelope that was torn open on a corner. One time there was an empty box inside the torn open envelope.

They used to ship UPS, and then UPS would hand off the last leg to the post office. I believe this is where the theft would occur.

I say this because today, for the first time ever, my gift arrived and it was sent USPS with tracking, in a smaller padded envelope.

Informed delivery told my to expect it, I had no idea what it was. It was a Green Coyote Knife. Very similar in size to a well worn 511 knife I usually have on me all of the time. It is sharp out of the box and I may move the 511 to one of my bug bags after I break this new one in.

I used to feel guilty about selecting a gift, but I never would get them. I suspected that the NRA would send out empty ripped envelopes,but now I know better.

But now I don't feel guilty anymore seeing how I can get a pocket knife, or the board members can get new silk suits. You know, that whole online magazine thing is not as convenient as the print copy. Hmmm.

Stupid speelchick

post-2774-0-51063500-1562618038_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Interesting read, newer, deeper insight to the NRA / LaPierre / etc kerfluffle.

Haven't read the whole thing yet (GOTTA go out) , but what I did read, prompts me to do this:

Link is to a New York Times, story by Danny Hakim, who has written other articles on the NRA, etc....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/us/politics/nra-guns-wayne-lapierre.html?fbclid=IwAR0V_HpjHqwt0YZqd02I8KYdiTv8oohxg-V5kWrPP27eaKXEFcZJgHRMcng

Interesting read, newer, deeper insight to the NRA / LaPierre / etc kerfluffle.

Haven't read the whole thing yet (GOTTA go out) , but what I did read, prompts me to do this:

Link is to a New York Times, story by Danny Hakim, who has written other articles on the NRA, etc....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/us/politics/nra-guns-wayne-lapierre.html?fbclid=IwAR0V_HpjHqwt0YZqd02I8KYdiTv8oohxg-V5kWrPP27eaKXEFcZJgHRMcng

Wayne LaPierre, the chief executive of the National Rifle Association, has confronted threats from all sides this year.

... New documents reviewed by The New York Times show that the effort against him was even wider in scope, drawing in three outside law firms working for the N.R.A. and at least one in-house attorney....

Now Mr. LaPierre is continuing to purge opponents. On Thursday, the N.R.A. dismissed its longtime outside counsel, Charles J. Cooper, the chairman of the Washington law firm Cooper & Kirk, people with knowledge of the decision said. A second outside counsel and a top in-house counsel resigned. The departures come after an internal inquiry showed that the lawyers were involved in an effort to undermine Mr. LaPierre.

The N.R.A. is also considering halting payments to its former second in command, Christopher Cox, who left in June but is still on the payroll, said the people, who insisted on anonymity to discuss internal matters.

N.R.A. officials have said the rebellion was sparked by Mr. LaPierre's decision to pursue an internal audit of contractors.

But the new documents show a deeper level of coordination than was previously known in the effort against Mr. LaPierre, with extensive discussions between [Oliver] North's allies and the N.R.A.'s own outside counsels. Mr. Cooper and other lawyers exchanged emails urging leaks and countermeasures that would undermine Mr. LaPierre's strategy. At one point in April, Mr. Cooper wrote another lawyer in frustration, saying, "No one on our side will leak."

The rebellion inside the organization was ultimately about money and power.

New documents show how a dispute over the N.R.A.'s access to Ackerman’s financial records escalated tensions between Mr. LaPierre and Mr. North. Though the gun group's presidency is ceremonial, Mr. North began requesting documents related to an internal inquiry into Ackerman. In February, Mr. LaPierre essentially told Mr. North to stay in his lane. In a previously undisclosed letter he wrote, "Because you are an employee of Ackerman McQueen, and have a conflict of interest, I request again that you kindly cease and desist from any further involvement."

The documents reviewed by The Times also show the extent to which a second rivalry was brewing, between Mr. Cooper and William A. Brewer III, a Democrat whom Mr. LaPierre had hired a year earlier. Mr. Brewer ascended quickly and began getting all of the significant legal work, including several congressional and state inquiries.

"This is a debacle," [outside N.R.A. lawyer, J. Steven] Hart, who had just been dismissed by the N.R.A., wrote in an email to Mr. Cooper. "Is Brewer a moron or a Manchurian candidate?"

The unraveling of lawyers, guns and money coincides with the departures of half a dozen board members in recent weeks. But Mr. LaPierre remains center stage, as polarizing as ever.

But Todd Rathner, a member of the N.R.A.'s board, said, "Wayne is leading and proving that he has the political juice to get the job done."

Got one of those give us money calls for the NRA. Told them with everything that has been going on and the loss of Chris Cox at the ILA they wouldn't get a penny from me.

Another quote from the article:

"In the aftermath of the shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, this month, Mr. LaPierre reverted to a familiar N.R.A. playbook: The group focused on issues like mental health rather than guns themselves. Mr. LaPierre lobbied Mr. Trump behind the scenes, including in a 30-minute phone call Tuesday after which Mr. Trump also referred to the shootings as “a mental problem” and accused Democrats of wanting to “give up the Second Amendment.”

Still, Mr. LaPierre’s influence will continue to be tested. The Republican-controlled Senate remains a reliable ally in fighting off new restrictions. But the gun control movement has begun to catch up, with well-funded backers like Michael R. Bloomberg, and in the 2018 midterm election cycle, gun control groups outspent the N.R.A."

I personally will continue to give my full support to the NRA as well as a few other groups.

BTW Fife, don`t know why you missed out on the gifts, I have a drawer with NRA flashlights, a couple knives, cell phone charger, a few hats ...........

I have had more time to read it all (including his EARLIER articles - for perspective on the author (Danny Hakim) , REMEMBER to view this through the filter of an ANTI-biased writer.

To ME, it it RE-encourages my support of LaPierre, and a resumption of my donations to NRA, and NRA-ILA.

IN MY OPINION:

Eventually it will probably come to light that we were infiltrated,

with the probable motive of diminishing our ability to function in the 2020 presidential election.

I think it is important to separate our feelings about Wayne from the good work done by the NRAâs hundreds of other employees.

On the $54.4 million in campaign funds the NRA spent in 2016:

âBut that money was not spent on the entire Congress. Thirty million went to Donald Trump, the rest mainly to six Republican Senate candidates in competitive races, five of whom won.â

Not a landslide victory (republicans still lost two seats in the Senate) but the NRAâs efforts went a long way toward securing all three branches of government for gun owners. We can only pray the NRA will be half as successful in 2020.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/19/why-the-nra-always-wins-217028

I have had more time to read it all (including his EARLIER articles - for perspective on the author (Danny Hakim) , REMEMBER to view this through the filter of an ANTI-biased writer.

To ME, it it RE-encourages my support of LaPierre, and a resumption of my donations to NRA, and NRA-ILA.

IN MY OPINION:

with the probable motive of diminishing our ability to function in the 2020 presidential election.

I suspect you may be on to something with your opinion

IN MY OPINION:

One of the many conflicts in and around the NRA according to this NY Times article is Wayne’s hiring of democrat attorney William A. Brewer III. I don’t know much about Brewer who “ascended quickly and began getting all of the significant legal work, including several congressional and state inquiries”, but if he has ties to any anti-gunners inside the Beltway who knows what could have been leaked.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/us/politics/nra-guns-wayne-lapierre.html

I'm a life member as well, and I've been making it repeatedly clear to every solicitor that calls that the NRA won't see another dime from me until Wayne falls on his sword. While there may be something to Mark's theory about this all being an attempt to neutralize the NRA in 2020, I doubt it for a couple of reasons:

1: this would require a significant level of strategic thinking and competence from a party that has voluntarily chained themselves to AOC.

2: at this point, the trouble seems to be all internally generated at the higher levels.

Whether this is an external provocation or exposure of internal rot doesn't really matter at this point. I can understand why Wayne LaPierre doesn't want to resign. However, if he cared about advocacy for the 2nd Amendment and American firearms owners even half as much as he says he does, he'd have long since resigned with a statement saying that he recognizes that he's "become a distraction". That he's chosen not to resign says that he and his supporters are more worried about preserving their positions than they are about preserving our rights.

Bri

I see that the anti`s divide and conquer strategy is working. I`ll stick with Wayne, who was voted in unanimously by the board of directors. Some the payments to board members the antis find unethical:

Pete Brownell $3.1M products $11K membership commissions
Richard Childress $123K for purchase of a truck from his company
R. Lee Ermey Commissions for recruiter program
Ted Nugent $50K for appearances $4K membership commissions
Steve Hornady Ammunition from his company

A third of the board members that received payments from the NRA were for commissions from the recruiter program. Much ado about nothing.

Again, even though this may be "the anti's divide-and-conquer strategy", the NRA board and Wayne LaPierre are facilitating it. There are plenty of people out there who are tremendous 2A advocates and who would make great leaders for the NRA moving forward. Wayne LaPierre is not the indispensable man. The only way the NRA is going to win is to demonstrate that they value the mission more than they value their paychecks. So far, they're demonstrating the exact opposite, and that ain't the anti's fault.

I`ll stick with Wayne, who was voted in unanimously by the board of directors.

It was a procedural unanimity. The nomination committee didn't nominate anyone to run against him so the "vote" was done by acclimation. It goes down in the books as unanimous but no votes were actually counted.

https://m.facebook.com/RobPincusPro/posts/2176864019063079

Archived