NBC’s 3 Steps for Home Invasion Defense WRONG!

BIGDEESUL

Ran across this mention of an idiot NBC article. They have a supposed detective advising people to use wasp spray illegally to spray a home invader. With NO mention at all of the most effective tools to survive a home invasion, or any deadly encounter for that matter: firearms and training. Unbelievable the way these geniuses think!http://www.today.com/news/home-invasion-jeff-rossen-shows-how-protect-your-family-1D80117494

So how can you get your family out of such a situation alive? Wallace Zeins, who was a New York police detective and hostage negotiator for 22 years, says you may have an excellent alarm system at your fingertips that you haven't even thought about: Electronic car keys with a built-in alarm."Most people don't realize this, but they leave their car keys downstairs," Zeins said. "Bring your car keys up. Alarm systems are very expensive, and this is a loud one. All you have to do is hit the keys. They don't realize it, but it's the best alarm system, and doesn't cost them a penny."
The only point I agree with is the whole panic button on the keys. Not as a primary defensive tool, as this tool suggests, but as a way to distract an intruder or bring attention to your home.Stuff like that can give you an advantage.

Zeins also suggests keeping another item in your bedroom: "Buy a can of wasp hornet spray in the hardware store or the supermarket, keep it by your bedside or the floor," he said. "It's more powerful than police Mace."The great part is, when you spray, it will go 20 to 25 feet," Zeins added. An intruder hit with the spray will be temporarily blinded. Please check your state and local laws on the legality of using these sprays for self-defense.
Anything you can use to defend yourself is open game on someone trying to bring harm to you or your family, but cmon!ETA: quoted snippets.

As a purchaser of wasp spray earlier this year, I seriously doubt the effectiveness of it for any use beyond the intended....not that I'd even think of using it as a defensive measure in the first place. I purchased 3 different brands and all fell well short of the 20-25' claims on the can and one sprayed in a mist rather than streamed. If I had to rely on any of them defensively, I think it'd just make the aggressor even more determined to hurt me.

I'm betting the NY detective doesn't rely on wasp spray....

You guys may think this is funny, but this article has won over at least 1 more person to our side -- my wife. My wife has never been opposed to my views, my continued training, or that I'm now an instructor. She just never understood it, and let's face it, because I'm her husband she was never going to really listen to me.

The first thing you must understand is that my wife is absolutely terrified of bees, wasps, and hornets. I did not present her with this article. She came upon it on her own. This afternoon she came to me and said she had an epiphany. She realized that wasp and hornet spray had a distance of up to 15 feet, and is effective at doing what it does. It eliminates something she perceives to be a threat, and allows her distance so she can have reaction time in the event the threat comes at her. She then applied this thinking to the question, "Why does anybody need a firearm for self defense?" When she explained all this all to me I was pleased that she came to this line of thinking on her own, and with zero input from me (at the time). I informed her it was a start, but there is much more she needs to learn. Since she likes the show Mythbusters I suggested she start there and watch the episode about the 21 foot rule.

Wasp spray?? LMAO...

In a non-permissive environment wasp spray not a dumb as it seems. Granted it's a violation of federal law to use it in a manner not on the label. We're not even permitted pepper spray via the employee handbook.

I work in a mandated prohibited zone and I've heard the building has had quite a wasp problem in the past so I'm prepared.

I've heard the school my kids go to has had similar issues with wasps in the past ... well I've heard that anyways ...

• 3 weeks later...

I think the mythbusters video posted above confirms why you should always carry with one in the chamber. I'm not sure why they chose to not keep one in the chamber since the vast majority of people that carry, whether on duty or just a concealed carrier carries with one in the chamber. It does also show that someone with a knife or any other handheld weapon can close a short distance in a short amount of time.

I still recall during the ramp-up to the '94 AWB vote when NBC ran a story about "the ebil gunz" and showed a video of an ATF rep firing a real (that is, fully automatic / "machine gun") AK47 while they were talking about the types of guns the bill would ban.

In the days before the internet we flooded their switchboard with calls and mailbox with letters objecting to their misrepresentation.

Tom Brokejaw smirkingly "apologized" for the "wrong footage" a week later, but the image couldn't be unseen.

Accident. Right.

Back to the 21 (or 22 ft.) rule. In the Mythbusters segment, note that he does not have his gun in Condition 1. Were his gun cocked and ready to fire, the knife wielder would need to be a bit closer. Using a double action revolver also would reduce the time needed to draw and fire. The other "error" in the mythbusters segment is that it is assumed that if the gun is fired in time, the threat will end. We all know that a single shot, regardless of caliber, is not likely to produce instant incapacitation unless the hit is in just the right place. The lesson I get from all of this is that I would not feel that a 20 or 25 foot buffer is adequate against a motivated knife attack, so that prior to letting the attacker get that close I would already have my weapon drawn (and cocked). Even then the problems of hitting a moving target would be such that I don't assume that my gun will automatically prevail against his knife.

Archived