Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

Molly B.

And 2 more Trump judges(not including Brennan, already confirmed) are expected to be confirmed this week, which will make 4 on the 7th Circuit.

The Senate just confirmed the nominations of Amy St. Eve and Michael Scudder.

St. Eve issued this decision upholding the Federal Gun-Free School Zone sections 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A) and 18 U.S.C § 922(a)(4). Scudder hasn't been a judge but according to this article, both "Durbin and Duckworth have... returned their blue slips, supporting the nominations of Scudder and St. Eve."

Sorry guys but you just got screwed.

Given that I am a sitting District Court judge and a nominee for the Seventh Circuit, it would be inappropriate for me to give my personal opinion on the Heller opinion. It is binding precedent and I will apply it.

Amy St Eve

And she certainly did apply her interpretation of the Heller decision in her decision I posted a link to. Unfortunately, her understanding of the Second Amendment conflicts with the Heller and McDonald decisions. One would think with all of the lawyers either holding office in the Senate or their staff attorneys would have found that decision of hers given it took me all of about 2 seconds to find it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news! Ordered today:

"IT IS ORDERED that this case be orally argued on Thursday, September 20, 2018, in the Main Courtroom, Room 2721 of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 219 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois, at 9:30 a.m."

This is one day before the start of the Gun Rights Policy Conference, being held in Chicago this year.

Good news! Ordered today:

"IT IS ORDERED that this case be orally argued on Thursday, September 20, 2018, in the Main Courtroom, Room 2721 of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 219 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois, at 9:30 a.m."

This is one day before the start of the Gun Rights Policy Conference, being held in Chicago this year.

Nice. How much seating do they have at the appeals court?

IIRC there were a good 40-50 seats during the preliminary injunction oral arguments--4 or 5 rows of benches on either side. This will be held in the same courtroom.

"Moms" and "Everytown" filed amicus briefs so who knows how many seats they'll fill, if this gets much of their attention.

• 1 month later...

Do we know the compostion of the panel for next Thursday? Who is replacing Posner?

Assignments are posted the morning of the day for which the case is scheduled.

Recordings are available at

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/oralArguments/oar.jsp

fairly soon after the case is heard.

Thanks I hope to be there, although it may not be possible.

In case anybody is keeping score, the Trump appointees on this Court are as follows:

Amy Coney Barrett

Michael B. Brennan

Michael Y. Scudder

Amy J. St. Eve

The G.W. Bush appointed Diane S. Sykes; G.H.W. Bush appointed Ilana Rovner; Ronald Reagan appointed Joel Martin Flaum, Frank H. Easterbrook, Michael Stephen Kanne, Kenneth Francis Ripple, and Daniel Anthony Manion. William Joseph Bauer was appointed by Ford. Bauer, Ripple, and Manion has senior status. The remaining judges, Diane Wood and David Hamilton, were appointed by Clinton and Obama respectively.

Easterbrook is the author of the atrocious decision in Friedman v. Highland Park, to which Manion wrote a blistering dissent. The third judge in that appeal is no longer on the Court.

Archived