What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

C0untZer0

I have the manual version of the Presidio II and I really like it. I usually have it in my back left pocket so I can get to it with my left hand while my pistol is on the right. Carrying a manual in my right front pocket is super easy and quick to use. It's less practical for self defense since your right hand would likely be otherwise occupied.

I think the automatic version will be less clumsy to open left handed. There is the safety lever to contend with though. Don't want a knife opening in my pocket!

Mentioned in the other thread, im a noob in this category.

You guys ever worry (or had) one of these knifes open up in your pocket?

My buddy in Texas has quite a large collection of auto openers. I asked him if one ever opened on him and he said that one did, but it didn't cut him. He said that he was laying on the ground and rolled over a wrench and it just hit the release at the right angle to extend the blade.

One time in a decade of daily carrying doesn't seem bad. His advice was to make sure that you're not carrying anything in the pocket that the knife is in, and if you're planning on laying on it, just take it out.

The one I played around with was a few years ago....a Microtech Halo V. It took some pressure to get the blade to open, enough to not worry me.

I have the manual version of the Presidio II and I really like it. I usually have it in my back left pocket so I can get to it with my left hand while my pistol is on the right. Carrying a manual in my right front pocket is super easy and quick to use. It's less practical for self defense since your right hand would likely be otherwise occupied.

I think the automatic version will be less clumsy to open left handed. There is the safety lever to contend with though. Don't want a knife opening in my pocket!

Mine will reside in my right front (strong side) pocket.

The way I see it, if I'm reaching for the knife in a self defense situation, my gun is either no longer useful or I don't have it on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Switchblades lead to no good. First, you spend hours playing with it like a fidget spinner. Then you join a gang and the next thing you find yourself singing and dancing in alleys while slashing and stabbing. I have seen this before. People living on the West side are particularly vulnerable to this addiction. Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Switchblades lead to no good. First, you spend hours playing with it like a fidget spinner. Then you join a gang and the next thing you find yourself singing and dancing in alleys while slashing and stabbing. I have seen this before. People living on the West side are particularly vulnerable to this addiction. Be careful out there. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha ha

Switchblades lead to no good. First, you spend hours playing with it like a fidget spinner. Then you join a gang and the next thing you find yourself singing and dancing in alleys while slashing and stabbing. I have seen this before. People living on the West side are particularly vulnerable to this addiction. Be careful out there. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I miss Natalie Wood :drool:

It sounds like the process used to enact the laws years ago. Part one, watch 'West Side Story', part two, enact "switchblade" laws.

I miss Natalie Wood :drool:

I'm sure Robert does too.........

These knives are made right here in Illinois, about two hours West of Chicago. And they're going to be at the Bullpup shoot in Mount Carroll on Sept 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3cBSI1g2g

Really? I didn't know that... I like that chain-drive knife a lot, I was going to put it on my list anyway even before I knew they were local...

These knives are made right here in Illinois, about two hours West of Chicago. And they're going to be at the Bullpup shoot in Mount Carroll on Sept 17.

Really? I didn't know that... I like that chain-drive knife a lot, I was going to put it on my list anyway even before I knew they were local...

I like it too. But it's waaaaaaaay out of my league. I could maybe afford to pay the sales tax.

OH! And they manufacture full auto weapons too......if you're in the market for some of them!

http://ratworxusa.com/

RAT Worx USA

112 East Hitt Street

Mount Morris, IL 61054

815-734-7346

815-734-4676

800-675-6906

I like it too. But it's waaaaaaaay out of my league. I could maybe afford to pay the sales tax.

$250-300 isn't particularly high for a really high-quality auto, though. Especially one with a unique mechanism. I've been lusting after a Deadlock, too, but that'll never happen; with the options I'd want it's a $1600+ knife, and I can't see walking around with that in my pocket.

It'll be a while before the RatWorx is an option though. Between the Microtech and the Bullpup9, my "fun things" budget is blown for at least a year...

Shouldn't that be the Bullpup shoot on Sep 9th?

Yes, it should. Thank you for pointing that out. There was some confusion concerning the event date in the Bullpup thread, but it was corrected. I accidently reverted back to the incorrect date. Sorry 'bout that! It is on Sept. 9th. The Manticore event website is here:

http://www.bullpupshoot.com/

I'm beginning to believe that if you're going to spend less than $100.00 on an auto-opening knife, you'd be better off with a manual folder or a fixed blade if its something you're going to be staking your life on. Or may another way of putting it is that most of the auto-openers that go for under $100.00 aren't dependable or reliable enough to stake your life on. From what I've read on blade forums, the cheaper knives will fail, or the MTBF for the cheaper knives is much short than the expensive autos, and Murphy's law would indicate that they'll fail spectacularly when you need it most - in a life or death situation.

And my eyes are really being opened to the patchwork of municipal laws that we have in Illinois:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66462&do=findComment&comment=1102645

I had no idea that auto-opening knives are illegal in my own home town. :o

Its not a case where, I can take the auto-opener out of my pocket and stick it in the glove compartment when I enter city limits - the ordinance says it is illegal to possess an auto-opener period. It is illegal to purchase, it is illegal to possess one period - whether its on your person, in your car or even in your home. I've had police officers ask me if there were knives in the car during a traffic stop - I usually tell them there is folding knife in the glove compartment

Even if it wasn't illegal in the town where I live, in Illinois you'd need an app for a smart phone and GPS to keep track of where your auto-knife if legal or not.

This sounds like a ride in a squad car waiting to happen.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury... If my client intended to hurt anyone with his pocket knife, he would have just shot them with his concealed handgun instead.

Correct. If you are carrying a gun at the same time (always for me), there's no need to even call the knife a weapon for self defense. Call it what it really is, a tool. No need to get into self defense/intent conversations in that case. Doesn't make sense.

Out of curiousity, where else are people buying from? I know people have been reporting good things on GPKnives and Adams International Knifeworks, both IL businesses. And we know shops like GAT and MEGA will be stocking soon.

I've read on other forums of people buying from online sellers like Bladeops, Knifeworks, Bladehq (who states they wont sell outside of UT), etc but am interested to know the experience buyers here are having with these other with places.

Archived