Does the ISP stall during tax season?

Just asking since I paid for my FOID way back in late December, 2016. Of course, didn't get it for awhile and when prompted me to inquire about via email in February, in which I was greeted with a one word answer (approved).

I contacted them a few weeks later only to be informed that my FOID was shipped and returned to sender because I was accepting mail in a PO Box and that I need a change of address to get my card. Finally, a month later, I get them on the phone and they send me the card with my PO Box as the shipping address.

So was this all just stalling? I get that they want less guns out there, but come 'on. This state has some of the most violent thugs in the world and they seriously made me wait nearly 5 months just to get permission to protect myself? I was receiving threats when I broke down and applied for the thing.

If anyone had decided to act on any of them, I would have been long dead.

And people wonder why citizens are fleeing this state in droves...

I can only relate my story, which took place at about the same time frame as you. I applied for a FOID in early December 2016, and after 32 days I was still "Under Review." I emailed the ISP through the web inquiry portal, and the next day I received an email stating my card had been approved. It arrived in the mail a few days later. I don't know for sure, but my guess is they were running behind; when I emailed, they checked the date was past 30 days and approved the card.

I dont think the tax season had anything to do with it. Now, late December, with Christmas, New Years, etc, I think most businesses experience some delays with people taking time off, planning parties and in general perhaps less productive. Edited by InterestedBystander

ISP has nothing to do with tax season. You got your card after you contacted them because you used a PO Box instead of a street address and they rectified the situation. It appears the delay at the beginning was because you used the PO Box and they don't except the PO Box you need a street address and the initial delay was not for some nefarious reason as they sent it out and you said it was returned to them so that isn't stalling. Glad you got your card. Welcome to the forum. Edited by spec5

I should probably explain my thinking on the tax season thing: Usually citizens, especially lower income ones, will wait for their tax refund to purchase big ticket items like firearms.

Since the foid only exist to curb gun purchases anyway, I wouldn't put it past them to just stall on apps that they receive at this time since they probably see a big surge anyway.

I only say this because of the one word reply I received in March (the date on my card is within the 30 days of my application and payment)

So yes, overall, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory on my end, but​ honestly, stranger things have happened.

Edited by Cherry

The FOID division of ISP has limited personal and resources, and I'm being kind in my description. Basically one office with a phone/voice mail and a smattering of cubicles. If firearm ownership were an entitlement program, (it is a right, just to be clear) our state politicians would be shoveling money at it like coal into a boiler.

And fwiw, gun ownership restrictions are just a feather in the bird of reasons why Illinois is losing citizens. Taxes, politics, laws, regulations, deteriorating infrastructure, do this don't do that can't you read the signs?..............