Photo

Shoot Point Blank does not accept NRA Basic Pistol Course toward 16 CCW Credit

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 DomG

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

Now I understand this and Point Blank is correct. You did not take the 8 hour instructor Basic Pistol class, but a blended computer/instructor class. The 8 hour instructor led class counts towards 8 hours of CCL training. The blended training does not. Illinois requires 16 hours of classroom.
Just take the 16 hour class. I got the military waiver for 8 hours, but then after I got my CCL, I sat in on an 8 hour instructor led Basic Pistol class with my son when he was 15. I enjoyed the refresher.

The ISP accepts NRA Basic Pistol no matter which version the student took,  blended OR completely instructor led.
My fault for not being clear. Without completion with an instructor, the blended training doesn't count.

But my main point is that Point Blank is correct in not accepting his training for 8 hours of credit.

Edited by DomG, 28 April 2018 - 09:29 AM.

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges." - Tacitus"
"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." -Tacitus

NRA Life Member
ISRA
USCCA
IL CCL
AZ CWP
VFW Life Member
USAF Retired (So I guess that makes me a Life Member)

#32 NRApistol

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

Scam? Quote from site FAQ: 

"Once you pass this online course, you can use your PIN number to register for an instructor-led course in your area."

NRA Training Counselor
Refuse to be a Victim Regional Counselor

#33 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

https://basicpistol.nra.org/

Where's the scam?    Not only do they have that disclaimer, they also have links to the state laws about guns as well so one can research this.

I see options for instructor led and online courses.  

The scam is that they don't clearly state that the course for $60 by itself is not enough to complete your training. Additional training is required by an NRA Instructor. At that point it can be accepted toward your 16hr conceal carry license.

I don't see any place where it says "take this one course and it completes your training."

There are 50 states and several territories in the USA.  Trying to put in information that accurately encompasses the gun laws of all these jurisdictions in each and every course advertisement would be prohibitively difficult and basically turn an easy to read ad into a legal brief that is for an appeals court.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#34 spanishjames

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

I would just take the 16 hour course and call it a day. Lesson learned.

To disarm is to consent to slavery.

#35 papa

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Blended = A little of this and a little of that , not a little of this and you are good to go.

#36 j28791

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

Scam? Quote from site FAQ: 

"Once you pass this online course, you can use your PIN number to register for an instructor-led course in your area."

Yup, I'll give you that. But it doesn't say that it's required. I should read:

"Once you pass this online course, you can use your PIN number to register for the required instructor-led course in your area needed to complete the course"

#37 NRApistol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

This is the best advice.  Let it go and move on.  

Edited by NRApistol, 28 April 2018 - 10:40 AM.

NRA Training Counselor
Refuse to be a Victim Regional Counselor

#38 j28791

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

This is the best advice.  Let it go and move on.  

I know :(

#39 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hold the phone. I did not understand from the OP that only First Steps was taken. That changes things.

#40 aka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

I've called and asked to double check and Shoot Point Blank in Naperville, IL doesn't accept the NRA Basic Pistol Course as credit toward the CCW License. My understanding after speaking with them and being very clear that the ISP website says the NRA Basic Pistol Course counts for 8hrs...is that they will not accept it. Military are fine though you can skip to 2nd day class.

He said I can talk to corporate and try and work something out to get an exemption but they won't honor it and he asked others there to confirm that they won't honor it.

Not True.

I teach at the Naperville Shoot Point Blank and we do accept NRA Basic Pistol Course for an 8 hour credit. 

Thank you

AKA

--------------------------------
IL CCW License Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Member
Glock Armorer

#41 aka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

I've called and asked to double check and Shoot Point Blank in Naperville, IL doesn't accept the NRA Basic Pistol Course as credit toward the CCW License. My understanding after speaking with them and being very clear that the ISP website says the NRA Basic Pistol Course counts for 8hrs...is that they will not accept it. Military are fine though you can skip to 2nd day class.

He said I can talk to corporate and try and work something out to get an exemption but they won't honor it and he asked others there to confirm that they won't honor it.

Not True.

I teach at the Naperville Shoot Point Blank and we do accept NRA Basic Pistol Course for an 8 hour credit. 

Correction - we do accept the NRA Basic Pistol course for 8 hour credit but to the blended online class. You have to complete the instructor led training after the online portion and then we accept that certificate. 

Thank you

AKA

--------------------------------
IL CCW License Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Member
Glock Armorer

#42 2smartby1/2

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

It is easier/quicker to take the 16 hours at once. 

Yes, the NRA online portion is a bit of a scam, but it could work out in your favor. 

I was never in much of a hurry to get my CCW, so it took me about a year to complete my training. 

NRA online course.

NRA Basic Pistol course - (Took it through the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates)

Day 2 of training via Critical Decision (shooting at JR's in Aurora.) 

In the end, I would have saved a lot of time and money going through ONLY Critical Decision since the usually only charge $99 for both days....BUT....there was only one other person that took the NRA Basic Pistol course, so it basically turned in to hours of near private NRA instructor training in the classroom and on the range with the choice of using different firearms.  

#43 j28791

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hold the phone. I did not understand from the OP that only First Steps was taken. That changes things.

I asked them about the course, I didn't say that I didn't complete it.

#44 j28791

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Not True.

Did you read my original post? I called and asked 2 people, so Megan and none of the employees know that the course is accepted? Only you know? What sort of training is there for the employees there? Any? Maybe call an emergency meeting with all employees and go over the basics. To be honest, I would've been done with my CCL class by now if the people at shoot point blank knew what their own policies were. Now I'm told I can take the Day 1 and Day 2 classes on different days. Before I was told I had to take them together (not weeks or a month apart). Which is why I took that stupid NRA basic pistol course scam to begin with.

Again, maybe all Shoot Point Blank locations need to shut down for an afternoon (a la Starbucks race education style) and just go over the most basic questions about guns and conceal carry that a customer might have??

How about posting this so customers don't have to rely on the lack of training of employees. Just post it in every store, what's accepted, what isn't, can classes be split, etc.

Edited by j28791, 09 May 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#45 spanishjames

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

Now I was told I can take the Day 1 and Day 2 classes on different days.

How else would you take a two day course?

#46 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,876 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Pretty sure he meant consecutive days... meaning he wouldn't have to take them both on the same weekend... day 1 this Saturday... day 2 on the 3rd Sunday of next month.

Now I was told I can take the Day 1 and Day 2 classes on different days. How else would you take a two day course?

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#47 spanishjames

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

Pretty sure he meant consecutive days... meaning he wouldn't have to take them both on the same weekend... day 1 this Saturday... day 2 on the 3rd Sunday of next month.

Ok, I see what you mean.

#48 Twostarrz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

Ok, I see what you mean.
I laughed hysterically at the response, harder than I have laughed in a while. Spanish is the winner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users