Chicago gun turn in onsite intel.

Yas

I believe Don Gwen is going to the turn in today also. I'm sure he will have a good story also.

Last year I helped a widow clean out her basement. She was kind enough to let me keep some old defunct bb guns.

All non operational, rusty and useless.

Several thoughts on this this morning but I decided finally to Visit Snuffy himself.... so its on to St Sabinas!

The before shot note the rust and missing barrel inserts.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/NRAUSA/before.jpg

I arrived about 8:50 am and here was the line. About 9 people.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/NRAUSA/line.jpg

The view of the house of "Snuffy"

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/NRAUSA/sabfront.jpg

He poked his head outside a few times and I also saw the young teenager that was at the SAFR rally last month with snuff. I was unable to capture the fathers smiling face.

The police allowed 5 people inside the church at a time down to the basement where tables were set up. Police officers took what you had and confirmed what ever you brought was unloaded. A good thing because 2 people ahead of me was a gentlemen who brought in a cardboard box containing 2 snubbie pistols and a box of winchester white box .38 special ammo. I heard the tinkle of loaded ammunition being ejected from the cylinders on the table by the officer inspecting those wheel-guns. Both Were LOADED.

Mostly what I saw was a lot of bb rifles and crappy bolt action 22 rifles. The 2 38's looked to be in nice condition a shame..... about 50 percent of the people bringing in things were elderly women whom I have to assume were cleaning out houses.

The trip back about 3 blocks from St Sabina's a crime camera..... I felt so much safer seeing that. :D

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/NRAUSA/cc1.jpg

The reward for 60 mins of my time. $50 richer.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/NRAUSA/after.jpg

If anyones curious heres the literature that came with the cards.

post-1699-1250358173.jpg

Don please feel free to use all the information provided. Any questions or if you need better resolution ( I shot in 10 megapixles) I have scans of the front and back of the debit cards as well.

Just shoot me an email. We have been touching bases on the St Sabina site this week in emails (Hint)

I'll add the police did not ask any questions but as other people have described in past turn ins... all arms were tagged individually by Leo's (guessing that ballistics will be taken and checked later to see if any were actual crime guns.)

An officer was commenting that he forgot his can of WD 40 while trying to open the action of a bolt action 22. Another replied that He should have remembered it also. This leads me to think a-lot of stuff they get is rusted shut on average.

In the event snuffy is reading this..... ;) Hi dude! Thanks for the cash! :D

I drove by there today to just take a peek, saw two radio stations had vehicles parked outside 92.3fm and 106.3fm . No lines outside the door looked pretty quiet. Now lets stand by and see who gets shot this weekend.

Sunny and hot.. It is gonna be a busy weekend for the Chicago PD.

When Chase first started supporting the buy-backs by providing the cards, I canceled my Chase card. When the Chase rep on the phone asked my why, I told him!

Losing my piddlin' account meant nothing to them, I'm sure, but it sure made me feel good to let 'em know!

Other than providing the cash cards, what is Chase's role in the gun turn in?

They probably can track what was purchased on the cards.

Not like it would help that much, if someone really didn't want to be tracked they could always just buy gift cards at Jewel with them if they didn't want to be tracked.

Easier way to go would be just walk into the nearest Chase branch and cash in the card/s. Give them an ID, take the cash and let them chase their tails trying to figure out where the money got spent.

You do have to call an 800 number to activate the card(s) they request a phone number to activate it. But Jeez would you know..... they don't require that number to be the one your calling from. :D

The police officers were transferring stickers front the front of the envelopes to a ledger book but in no way were they recording the tagged firearms to the ledger book. It was moving too fast for that. Tagged guns went into cardboard box's on floor. Ledger books to keep track of credit cards was on the table and a table length from the guys tagging the pieces. no communication was going on between the different assigned officers.

The officers have to track cards so 10, 50, 100 dollar credit cards just don't up and walk away...... There would be some splain' to do later. Between the entrance of the church and the basement there was a room with a radio DJ set up broadcasting live about the turn in. I'm not sure what station but there are several media outlets that were listed as sponsors on the buyback PDF. The car from the radio station is in the picture I posted above. What cop is going to violate amnesty with media present?

No one flipped out about those loaded snubbies ether. Any officers that noticed it stayed calm and professional.

Sorry but NO Black helicopters or White SUV's followed me home ether.....

Heck I was turning in junked bb guns. No laws violated, they didn't even work. If the police arrest anyone at a turn in, (where amnesty is promised) don't you think that would be the last one that would be held ? Na this is Richie's big PR stunt for saving the streets. No officer however gung ho would be foolish enough to mess up the Kings plan. That just ain't happening.

AT no time was anyone asked for ID or to sign anything.....

Excellent. I didn't end up going (I have a better offer in Chatham tonight) but I'm glad you did. Do you mind if I use your photos (with credit, obviously)?

I've been saving an old 20 ga that won't even open because of a busted piece but I'm holding out out for $100.

Make your own pistol grip for it and then you'll get $100, or saw off some of the barrel

Excellent. I didn't end up going (I have a better offer in Chatham tonight) but I'm glad you did. Do you mind if I use your photos (with credit, obviously)?

I've been saving an old 20 ga that won't even open because of a busted piece but I'm holding out out for $100.

Make your own pistol grip for it and then you'll get $100, or saw off some of the barrel

Yea I thought about that but I'm not sure that would qualify it as an "assault rifle" and if not, I'm left with an illegal weapon under NFA rules.

Simple solution to the number problem. Just ask to use a bank phone, change any digit in the last 4 numbers or the area code and give them that. Let Chase Bank chase their tail. :D

You do have to call an 800 number to activate the card(s) they request a phone number to activate it. But Jeez would you know..... they don't require that number to be the one your calling from. ;)

I didn't get the impression any were gang affiliated. All were just regular everyday people.

In all honesty, no racial insults intended. a higher percentage of older black women bringing in items. Every one had items in bags, soft vinyl rifle cases, or box's. I had to scramble to find a bag for my junk. I just threw them in the car. I only saw 4 Caucasian guys. a cop, snuffy, and two people in line. My time there I'd have to estimate perhaps 18 people total were turning in things between 9:00 am and 9:45. No Hispanics other than one CPD officer.

Most officers were African American males. I saw no female officers at all.

I've worked with gang bangers, nothing obvious. But 9am is very early in the day for the thugs to be up and around.

Sawing off your shotgun and adding a pistol grip won't get you the extra cash. It would have to be on the list of assault weapons in Chicago Municipal Code 6-20-030 (can you tell I've been spending too much time with Chicago Code recently? Didn't even have to look that up.) As far as Chicago's concerned, it's not an assault weapon unless it's in that code, per Glen Brooks at CPD.

Also, CPD's press department says that there are no weapons designated by the Superintendent as assault weapons--in other words, no weapons that aren't listed in the code but are considered unregisterable because the Superintendent has declared that they're "inappropriate for lawful use." That actually surprised me a bit. I hope I didn't remind some of Weis' people about a power he didn't realize he had!

Also, this is priceless.

post-61-1250390093.jpg

Sawing off your shotgun and adding a pistol grip won't get you the extra cash. It would have to be on the list of assault weapons in Chicago Municipal Code 6-20-030 (can you tell I've been spending too much time with Chicago Code recently? Didn't even have to look that up.) As far as Chicago's concerned, it's not an assault weapon unless it's in that code, per Glen Brooks at CPD.

Also, CPD's press department says that there are no weapons designated by the Superintendent as assault weapons--in other words, no weapons that aren't listed in the code but are considered unregisterable because the Superintendent has declared that they're "inappropriate for lawful use." That actually surprised me a bit. I hope I didn't remind some of Weis' people about a power he didn't realize he had!

Also, this is priceless.

post-61-1250390093.jpg

Hey someone could have come down with a nasty case of Tetanus with my junk..... Think of all the innocent school children I saved.

I wonder what the CPD would have dealt with some bent up AK 47 flats. Which would push the flat past the 80% ATF ruling? Isn't the receiver the firearm in the eyes of the BATF?

Tapco still lists flats @ 19.99 someone with an AK flat bending jig and a spot welder for rails ...... would a bent flat get $100 (Less all the goodies such as a barrel and stock) ? Hmmm

Other than providing the cash cards, what is Chase's role in the gun turn in?

They probably can track what was purchased on the cards.

I wonder how they would feel if someone used the cards to buy ammo or another gun? I know the cards are only worth $10-$100 so they would only pay for a part of it but it would be fun to see thier reaction if they do track what is bought with the cards.

Yas, better to buy one flat and copy it a dozen times in mild sheet steel from True Value. :D

I wouldn't put it past them to do one of two things, though: either refuse to pay, but tell you that you're turning it in anyway because you brought it in, or refuse to take them and then arrest you for possessing them after you leave. Realize I know that they probably wouldn't do those things, I'm just saying it's not impossible--I wouldn't put it past them.

I doubt they track where the cards are spent. They have no way to control it, so the data wouldn't do them much good. Their flyer said that the cards couldn't be used at "gun shops,"

post-61-1250394452.jpg

but the fine print contradicted that

post-61-1250394477.jpg

and the spokesman, Glen Brooks, told me it was a "request" in keeping with "the intent of the program."

Doesn't read like a request, does it?

and the spokesman, Glen Brooks, told me it was a "request" in keeping with "the intent of the program."

Doesn't read like a request, does it?

Now Don, as the Chicago GRE you're gonna hafta learn to speak the Chicago Government dialect of the English Language.

This is hardly what I'd call a big success.

5,000 fewer guns turned in under city program

August 16, 2009

Fewer than 2,000 guns were turned in for gift cards Saturday as part of Chicago's annual gun buy-back event.

This year's total -- 1,887 -- was significantly lower than last year's take of 6,800 guns, officials said.

A Chicago Police spokeswoman said she could not account for the slide in gun turn-ins.

City residents who turned in a gun at any of 27 participating churches Saturday received a gift card for $10, $50 or $100, depending on the type of gun, no questions asked.

Corporate donations to fund the buy-back program suffered this year because of the economy, lowering the amount offered for handguns.

Tina Sfondeles

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1718598...-guns16.article

I drove by there today to just take a peek, saw two radio stations had vehicles parked outside 92.3fm and 106.3fm . No lines outside the door looked pretty quiet. Now lets stand by and see who gets shot this weekend.

From today's Trib:

Man shot and critically injured in Bronzeville

Man shot in Heart Of Chicago neighborhood

Man critically injured after Lawndale shooting

:D

Simple solution to the number problem. Just ask to use a bank phone, change any digit in the last 4 numbers or the area code and give them that. Let Chase Bank chase their tail. :D
You do have to call an 800 number to activate the card(s) they request a phone number to activate it. But Jeez would you know..... they don't require that number to be the one your calling from. :thumbsup:

Just use the pone number listed for father Flakey's church.

Archived