lever action / revolver combo

atmosphere0284

I'm wanting to get into a combo situation... no practicality involved in the decision making process other than maybe the cost / availability of ammo. I almost want to say this would be a novelty combo (we all know that means shooting it would be expensive) for occasional fun days at an outdoor range. What would you guys pick as a caliber? My heart tells me get something ridiculous (.454 casul or 500 mag) but my mind says be conservative (.357) . :frantics: :drool:

Depending on the rifle the 357 that "your mind" is saying is the way to go. Add the second pistol and the shotgun and you can shoot cowboy matches. Some rifles will not "run" both the 38 special and the 357 mag unless you play with them. Daughter has two marlins with one accepting either and the other set up for a specific length 38 and short stroked.

I been pondering 44 mag for a while. I considered 454 (and 460 and 480), but decided they're really insane as handgun rounds, even though they were designed as handgun rounds. If a round is so large that you wouldn't really use it in a handgun, just use a rifle round in the rifle. 44 mag seems doable to me, though.

And then IV8888 recently posted this.

I have a lever/pistol combo in 357 Mag/38 Spcl and 45 Colt, I only have 45 Colt because I load my own. It can be an expensive tri- to the range if you use factory loaded 45 colt. If you load your own, 45 Colt is VERY versatile. from light 'Cowboy' loads to loads that will stop some large game. 357 Mag is a joy to plink with in the lever, and you can run 38 special in the handgun if needed. PLUS, a LOT of 357 Mag handgun options out there.

There is also 44 Mag to consider.

454 Casuul Lever actions are HARD to find. Anyone with one is not want to get rid of it. Not aware of any 500 Mag lever guns.

I have a lever/pistol combo in 357 Mag/38 Spcl and 45 Colt, I only have 45 Colt because I load my own. It can be an expensive tri- to the range if you use factory loaded 45 colt. If you load your own, 45 Colt is VERY versatile. from light 'Cowboy' loads to loads that will stop some large game. 357 Mag is a joy to plink with in the lever, and you can run 38 special in the handgun if needed. PLUS, a LOT of 357 Mag handgun options out there.

There is also 44 Mag to consider.

454 Casuul Lever actions are HARD to find. Anyone with one is not want to get rid of it. Not aware of any 500 Mag lever guns.

its not feasible but here it is.... its fun to dream sometimes. https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/model-89-carbine-18-500-sw/

I am really partial to lever guns, and have them chambered in .357M, .44M and .45 Colt. The .357 is a dream to shoot, and the long barrel adds over 300 fps to the muzzle velocity. If I were to hunt, the .44 would be my choice. It has the terminal energy of a .30-30 and the shoulder thump to prove it. You can load to higher pressure than for a revolver, but I prefer not for safety reasons. You need to use flat tip (or HP) bullets for safety against self-ignition in the magazine tube.

The .45 Colt was intended for cowboy competition - a dream which never materialized. Oddly, .45 Colt was never a cowboy carbine round. Colt kept it to itself until the 1890's. .44-40 was common, but a thin, tapered cartridge is not my preference.

.357 probably offers the most choices of lever guns. Marlin and Browning 1892 are great, but various 1873 models are available too. The latter has a toggle action, so nothing hotter than a revolver load should be used, and I don't mean a Ruger.

If you're into self-punishment, both Marlin and Browning (1886) are chambered for .45-70. Ten rounds of that through a 7 pound rifle is a good day's fun - saves on ammo cost.

I really like my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, hoping to have a deer hanging this time next week from it!

If Illinois would have passed that pistol caliber rifle hunting bill I would have entertained the idea a lever action 45 Colt, then I got into looking at a 450 Bushmaster on an AR platform and was all googly eyed,

But I'd still like to have a 45 Colt rifle.

I am really partial to lever guns, and have them chambered in .357M, .44M and .45 Colt. The .357 is a dream to shoot, and the long barrel adds over 300 fps to the muzzle velocity. If I were to hunt, the .44 would be my choice. It has the terminal energy of a .30-30 and the shoulder thump to prove it. You can load to higher pressure than for a revolver, but I prefer not for safety reasons. You need to use flat tip (or HP) bullets for safety against self-ignition in the magazine tube.

The .45 Colt was intended for cowboy competition - a dream which never materialized. Oddly, .45 Colt was never a cowboy carbine round. Colt kept it to itself until the 1890's. .44-40 was common, but a thin, tapered cartridge is not my preference.

.357 probably offers the most choices of lever guns. Marlin and Browning 1892 are great, but various 1873 models are available too. The latter has a toggle action, so nothing hotter than a revolver load should be used, and I don't mean a Ruger.

If you're into self-punishment, both Marlin and Browning (1886) are chambered for .45-70. Ten rounds of that through a 7 pound rifle is a good day's fun - saves on ammo cost.

The 44-40 is a challenge to reload but challenges are fun.8

Archived