Southern Illusion headline paraphrases to hand-wringing becuase no one has been red-flagged yet in Southern Illinois

mikew

One year after gun seizure law, no confiscations yet in deep Southern Illinois

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/one-year-after-gun-seizure-law-no-confiscations-yet-in/article_86ad9e28-63b6-5326-8123-552549bc821d.html

In the 11 months since Illinois’ law took effect, just over 50 confiscations have been granted, according to the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence — somewhat less than other states who have recently implemented “red flag” laws.

Maryland confiscated guns from 148 people, including four who made threats against schools, during the first three months of its red flag law, the Washington Post reported in January.

Broward County, Florida, population 1.93 million, saw 108 gun seizures during the first six months of Florida’s red flag law, from March to September 2019, according to an analysis by the Miami New Times.

Tunnell isn’t aware of any gun seizures yet in Southern Illinois, she said, though St. Louis metro area counties including Monroe and Madison have registered a few.

Since July, she’s been tasked with raising awareness of the law across the state’s lower 85 counties.

Did you catch the first part, she's been involved in spreading the use of Orders of Protection in IL since OPs went in to law back in 1986 - OPs result in the immediate revocation of FOID and CCL. The threshold for those is very, very low with little or no real evidence. They were hoping they could do the same thing with the firearm restraining orders but the level of proof required is 'clear and convincing' proof.

Did you catch the first part, she's been involved in spreading the use of Orders of Protection in IL since OPs went in to law back in 1986 - OPs result in the immediate revocation of FOID and CCL. The threshold for those is very, very low with little or no real evidence. They were hoping they could do the same thing with the firearm restraining orders but the level of proof required is 'clear and convincing' proof.

Which thankfully you helped with that (even though others dont see it that way).

The reason that ICHV and others are holding so many ERPO meetings is because they want people to take advantage of it, but its not exactly easy to do. Therefore, theyre using their resources to educate on it (which is basically useless, because it has to be a legitimate concern, not just a my ex husband is drunk and said he hates me. He has guns. Please red flag him). If they lie and attempt to make something up in order for it to happen, they can be prosecuted/sued for doing so, which means they better be damn sure it is a legitimate emergency situation

I didn't know that newspaper was even relevant anymore for anything more than coupons and obituaries.

Chicago area newspapers make damn fine bird cage liners. :thumbsup:

The newspaper mentioned in this thread is from Carbondale, IL no where near Chicago.

Not near Chicago, but they would like to be.

The school attracts people from Chicagoland that like to party and can't get into U of I .

They're starting off not exactly top-shelf.

The ones that can't make the cut anywhere else or just like the party life, stick around.

eg, last week's gun ban bozo.

I didn't know that newspaper was even relevant anymore for anything more than coupons and obituaries.

Chicago area newspapers make damn fine bird cage liners. :thumbsup:

The newspaper mentioned in this thread is from Carbondale, IL no where near Chicago.

They used to have some of their presses and offices in West Frankfort many years ago. I know that location has closed but I don't where they might have others. Sadly, they didn't use to be so liberal and they were a decent newspaper for the area.

And C'dale may not be near Chicago, but with the trains they had running back then, it wasn't uncommon for there to be a surplus of those people as part of the student body.

There was one year that the biggest black "greeks" put on their carnival ("Kappa Karnival") and let it be known that about 10,000 people were expected to attend. At the time, C'dale's population was only about 20K. Before the weekend arrived, a large chunk of the students "flew the coop" and didn't return until Monday, despite classes being missed. I spent my sophomore through senior years down there and it is STILL a "party school" over 40 years later.

2 things:

1. Just proves they want guns taken

2. Like the law or not, Illinois Carry helped greatly to make IL the strictest guidelines regarding RFL’s in the nation. The law was going to pass anyways, but ILCarry was able to make it so strict that people would be an idiot to attempt to misuse it.

1. Yep

2. YEP and Thank you all.

Archived