Carrying both a CCL and FOID?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 HDUC10

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

I was outside Crook county and stoped at a mega sized retail store and purchased some quality defensive carry .45ACP ammo.  Was asked for FOID specifically not my CCL.  

The story there is ISP told them they need to see FOID as some CCL holders have not renewed FOID and let them expire.  But that the story I was told today. 

Somebody there is confused.  If the FOID is invalid, then the CCL is invalid.  On another thread someone stated that the ISP sent them notice that their CCL was suspended because they have let their FOID expire.  

This is from section 70 of the FCCA. 

(h) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found ineligible for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, or the licensee no longer possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card. A licensee whose license is revoked under this subsection (h) shall surrender his or her concealed carry license as provided for in subsection (g) of this Section.

This subsection shall not apply to a person who has filed an application with the State Police for renewal of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card and who is not otherwise ineligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

If someone was trying to get away with something, said person could have an expired FOID, and a revoked CCL still in hand that still looks good by expiration date.  The clerk for an ammo purchase is not going to know that the CCL is no good.  So checking the FOID makes some sense for the seller.

#32 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

Retailers very rarely use common sense. A few years ago a bought a brick of .22 at a gun store.
I handed the clerk my FOID as he rang it up. I pulled out a credit card to pay and the clerk, with my FOID still in his hand asked to see my DL to verify it was my credit card. I pointed out that he was still holding my FOID but he said he needed a DL to verify my identity if I wanted to use a Credit card.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#33 vito

• Members
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

FWIW, I bought a few boxes of ammo at Walmart for the first time in a long time. I showed my CCL and had no problem with that part. I was surprised that they entered my license number into the register when ringing up the sale. Not sure if this was always their procedure. Not that I really care, since if someone really wanted to trace my gun related purchases they could just trace my credit cards. 

Retired U.S. Army and Veteran of the Vietnam conflict

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#34 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:54 PM

I havent carried my FOID for quite a while.  It stays safe...in the safe.  If I were to lose my wallet, at least I'd still have a FOID.

I've never had an issue showing a CCL at my local walmart. Matter o' fact it sometimes turns into a friendly conversation about firearms.

I've also purchased ammunition at other walmarts and at Farm 'n Fleet.  No issues, no hesitation..no problems.

Heck..today I was at the Kane sportsmans show.  No issues showing a CCL when buying ammo there... :)

#35 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

Any one who owns guns should have a government identification mark tattooed on their arm.

“Most gun control arguments miss the point. If all control boils fundamentally to force, how can one resist aggression without equal force? How can a truly “free” state exist if the individual citizen is enslaved to the forceful will of individual or organized aggressors?

It cannot.” 

― Tiffany Madison― 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users