Parkland students to hold town hall in Naperville

InterestedBystander

full story at link

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180604/parkland-students-to-hold-town-hall-in-naperville

..,"Students who survived a Feb. 14 mass shooting at their Florida high school and channeled their grief into activism for stricter gun-control laws will hold a town-hall meeting in Naperville this month.

The event is set for 6 p.m. June 16 at the DuPage Unitarian Universalist Church and reflects the church's commitment to reducing gun violence, the Rev. Tom Capo said."...

..."The students' "Road to Change" bus tour will stop in Chicago June 15 for a peace march with teenagers from St. Sabina Academy. It then will move to the suburbs with the town hall in Naperville and a car wash/fundraiser with some students from Downers Grove North High School, West said.

Church leaders aimed to heal divisiveness by opening up their Naperville building as a neutral space for community groups, Capo said. He met West through an activism expo she organized at the church, and she suggested DuPage Unitarian Universalist as a good facility for the Parkland students."...

..."To learn more about the town hall, go to www.eventbrite.com/e/mfol-road-to-change-town-hall-tickets-46732926441. For directions and information about the church, go to www.dupageuuchurch.org/."...

Church leaders aimed to heal divisiveness by opening up their Naperville building as a neutral space for community groups, Capo said.

I wonder what their response would be if a pro-2a group inquired about using their facilities for an awareness program...

The totalitarians will demand that group be excluded in the name of inclusion.

Yes, that's illogical, but that's LWW-ism.

I'll be there. Its on a Saturday so hopefully work doesn't get in the way of many more to come and support our side.

Have any Teenage Children, good at Debate. They would be better to go toe to toe with the Parkland gits.

He's great at debate when it comes to why he should go out with his friends. Not so much on the 2A.

Just trying to register and it says seats are already sold out.

I'd hazard a guess they were "sold out" long before it was made public. They don't want anyone with opposite opinions to show up and challenge them with things like facts ya know.

I'll be there. Its on a Saturday so hopefully work doesn't get in the way of many more to come and support our side.

Have any Teenage Children, good at Debate. They would be better to go toe to toe with the Parkland gits.

He's great at debate when it comes to why he should go out with his friends. Not so much on the 2A.

Just trying to register and it says seats are already sold out.

Everyone needs to remember that these so called kid's,are no longer Parkland Student's or kids. They have graduated, and are now ADULTS. So treat accordingly.

I am very sympathetic to the situation they were in when the shooting took place, BUT why does everyone treat them like an expert in the area of mass shootings and gun control.

Sorry for the rant.

Everyone needs to remember that these so called kid's,are no longer Parkland Student's or kids. They have graduated, and are now ADULTS. So treat accordingly.

I am very sympathetic to the situation they were in when the shooting took place, BUT why does everyone treat them like an expert in the area of mass shootings and gun control.

Sorry for the rant.

I told someone the other day... if you've had a friend relative die of cancer - does that make you an Oncologist

Sorry for the rant.

I told someone the other day... if you've had a friend relative die of cancer - does that make you an Oncologist

If it does, and they died anyway, then they aren't a very good Oncologist either.

Bloomberg's Everytown is funding it.

Do we know for sure? I'm not questioning whether or not it's true, I'm just looking for proof because it would make for a great op-ed on astroturf.

Do you really think unemployed HS grads are jetting all over the U.S., occasionally have huge physical stages (with a large cost) by magic? I know that isn't 'proof', but the money is coming from somewhere.

Do we know for sure? I'm not questioning whether or not it's true, I'm just looking for proof because it would make for a great op-ed on astroturf.

Do you really think unemployed HS grads are jetting all over the U.S., occasionally have huge physical stages (with a large cost) by magic? I know that isn't 'proof', but the money is coming from somewhere.

I'm not questioning whether or not someone is funding them, I'm looking for documentable proof of who exactly it is.

Not sure where you got from my post that I assumed they magically created the funding themselves.

Technically, "March for Our Lives" is a series of events. "Never Again MSD" is the name of the organization. They use the Twitter hash #NeverAgain. They appear to have failed to gain much momentum behind the Twitter hash #MeNext?, an attempt to leverage the similarity to #MeToo. Everytown helped organize the first event.

Never Again MSD is a non-profit organization. Anyone can donate.

Amal and George Clooney donated $500,000.

Oprah Winfrey donated $500,000.

Jeffrey and Marilyn Katzenberg donated $500,000.

Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw Spielberg donated $500,000.

Gucci donated $500,000.

John Legend and Chrissy Teigen donated $25,000.

Taylor Swift donated an undisclosed amount.

Other significant/celebrity financial supporters include Justin Bieber, Gabby Giffords, Lauren Jauregui, Alyssa Milano, Moms Demand Action, Amy Schumer, St. Vincent, Harry Styles, Hayley Williams, Paul McCartney, Kanye West, and Kim Kardashian.

Lyft provides free rides for those attending demonstrations (presumably only for the anti-2A side).

Jimmy Fallon, Samantha Bee, James Corden, and Jim Jefferies have provided media coverage and promotion.

Technically, "March for Our Lives" is a series of events. "Never Again MSD" is the name of the organization. They use the Twitter hash #NeverAgain. They appear to have failed to gain much momentum behind the Twitter hash #MeNext?, an attempt to leverage the similarity to #MeToo. Everytown helped organize the first event.

Gucci donated $500,000.

Other significant/celebrity financial supporters include Justin Bieber, Gabby Giffords, Lauren Jauregui, Alyssa Milano, Moms Demand Action, Amy Schumer, St. Vincent, Harry Styles, Hayley Williams, Paul McCartney, Kanye West, and Kim Kardashian.

Lyft provides free rides for those attending demonstrations (presumably only for the anti-2A side).

Jimmy Fallon, Samantha Bee, James Corden, and Jim Jefferies have provided media coverage and promotion.

So who handles the distribution of the funds? Who is the President of the non-profit organization? I've tried looking but I'm not finding anything.

Gucci donated $500,000.

So who handles the distribution of the funds? Who is the President of the non-profit organization? I've tried looking but I'm not finding anything.
Bloomberg. Paying veterans too for gun control.

https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/everytown-for-gun-safety/

https://www.the74million.org/gun-control-group-pledges-2-5-million-to-sponsor-march-for-our-lives-protests/

https://www.stripes.com/news/largest-gun-control-organization-in-us-looks-to-veterans-for-support-advice-1.530186

Cameron Kasky is the founder. The structure of the organization appears to be a closely guarded secret. This Vanity Fair article suggests they're secretive because they're worried about death threats.

They have no real public web presence, just Facebook and Twitter. neveragain.org appears to be them, hosted by GoDaddy, but there isn't much guarantee that any money donated through the site actually goes to them. The name was registered originally in 1998, but that doesn't mean anything. People register names all the time hoping they can resell them to other people who really want them.

I'm not questioning whether or not someone is funding them, I'm looking for documentable proof of who exactly it is.

Not sure where you got from my post that I assumed they magically created the funding themselves.

Proof with text messages I received from Bloomberg's everytown which organizes all rallies and protests and coaches the students to pressure politicians and make calls and file witness slips.

Everytown: Thanks for joining the movement to end gun violence. Sign up to get involved here: every.tw/Students

Text STOP to quit/Msg&DataRatesApply

On Saturday, 3/24, students across the country will march for common-sense gun safety laws at March for Our Lives. REPLY w/ your ZIP for info on local marches.

Thanks! Here's some info on March for Our Lives events near you: http://lil.ms/2jhx/4n922k

While supplies last take $20 off a Students Demand Action tee w/ code SDA20. Order by tomorrow to get it before March for Our Lives: http://lil.ms/2jie/4n922k

URGENT Everytown Alert: Gov. Rauner planning to VETO a bill to require gun dealer licensing. Reply CALL to be connected and tell him to reverse his decision!

Fired up after Saturday's march? Funnel your passion into action-Here are 8 ways you can work to end gun violence w/ Students Demand Action https://every.tw/now

Everytown: In 2017 it was Trump, this year it's Trump AND Pence headlining the NRA convention. Donate to stop Trump-Pence-NRA extreme agenda: every.tw/NRA2018

Hi it's Stephanie from Moms Demand. The IL Senate may vote on SB 337 a bill to help curb illegal guns as early as TODAY. Reply w yr FULL address to call yr Sen.

Hi! It's Sarah from Everytown. 6/1 is Nat'l Gun Violence Awareness Day & we're having a big Wear Orange event in Chicago on 6/2. Join us: every.tw/2LocPB0

Hi, it's Stephanie from Moms Demand. Thank key lawmakers who stood up to the gun lobby and voted in favor of SB 337 yesterday. Reply CALL to call their office

Hi, it's Nieve w/ Students Demand Action. TOMORROW is Gun Violence Awareness Day & we're turning the internet orange! Post a pic of yourself wearing orange & use #WearOrange and #StudentsDemandAction. You can also use our Wear Orange photo filter: https://every.tw/sdawo

Cameron Kasky is the founder. The structure of the organization appears to be a closely guarded secret. This Vanity Fair article suggests they're secretive because they're worried about death threats.

They have no real public web presence, just Facebook and Twitter. neveragain.org appears to be them, hosted by GoDaddy, but there isn't much guarantee that any money donated through the site actually goes to them. The name was registered originally in 1998, but that doesn't mean anything. People register names all the time hoping they can resell them to other people who really want them.

Here's the thing...if they are an actual non-profit (I can't find any proof that they are) then they need to be incorporated somewhere and file tax forms and have a registered agent. That should all be searchable because it's government stuff. I want to know who physically collects the donations and pays the bills. I know (well suspect I know) where the bulk of the money comes from. I'm wanting to see which of these little activists is driving a new car, and which one is going to a school their grades don't explain and their families can't afford after the gap year for "activism". If there's a whiff of something scandalous the world needs to know what's up.

neveragain.org appears to be them, hosted by GoDaddy, but there isn't much guarantee that any money donated through the site actually goes to them. The name was registered originally in 1998, but that doesn't mean anything.

not the same group. http://neveragain.org/leadership/

There's also a never again .com site that has a disclaimer that they are not related to the MSD kids.

Here's the thing...if they are an actual non-profit (I can't find any proof that they are) then they need to be incorporated somewhere and file tax forms and have a registered agent....

If they're accepting $500,000 donations, they have to be reporting it, too. The only way to get out of paying taxes on millions of dollars of "gifts" is to be a legitimate non-profit. (Hmm... or a sleazy, off-shore tax haven...) While it would be beyond the ability of most high school kids, these could have easily been given lawyers and accountants to set up obscure dummy corporations that are 100% within the law, but deliberately hard to find. Despite the paranoia they expressed in the Vanity Fair article, I think hiding just makes them look like they're doing something criminal, which they probably aren't, so it's just stupid. Stupidity isn't illegal. Plus most of their supporters won't care about stuff like their finances, as long as the buses and pizza is still free.

Oops. I should have dug into the site more. I'd expect them to have something somewhere. Facebook is just their storefront. Maybe someone could ask Oprah where she sent her check.

..."Your contribution will benefit March for Our Lives Action Fund, a 501©(4) social welfare organization. Contributions or gifts to March for Our Lives Action Fund are not deductible for federal income tax purposes as charitable contributions. All donations are made to support March for Our Lives Action Fund's general mission and aren't designated for any specific political candidate or race."...

They also got 3.5M from a gofundme it looks like.

Neveragain donate has no info

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article201464304.html

If news reports are correct, they are a newly formed 501 nonnprofit that was probably formed this year. That means that they will most likely not have to file their first nonprofit tax return - their form 990 until sometime next year and potentially near the end of next year. The 990 is due about 5 months after the end of their fiscal year and you can get a 6 month extension. The 990 may identify some of the major donors, the officers and board members of the organization and some of their major expenses. So a lot more information will be available but probably not for another year or more.

If I could talk to the Parkland students without being shouted down, I'd ask them:
1) Should Gillian Jeffords have to go to jail?
2) If some of your teachers had concealed handguns, how many of your friends' lives do you think they could have saved?
3) Why didn't Obama ask Congress to reconsider the Gun Free School Zones Act in light of the Otis McDonald decision?
4) Have you ever heard of Otis McDonald, arguably the most important civil rights hero of the last 50 years?
5) Why do you think Obama didn't give him a Medal of Freedom?
6) Why didn't Oprah have him on her show?
7) Why didn't the NAACP give him an award? How about the Congressional Black Caucus?
8) Why do the Democrats care more about restricting the rights of parents and teachers than keeping you safe?
9) Is it possible that the people you think are on your side are just brainwashing you?

Church leaders aimed to heal divisiveness by opening up their Naperville building as a neutral space for community groups, Capo said.

I wonder what their response would be if a pro-2a group inquired about using their facilities for an awareness program...

The totalitarians will demand that group be excluded in the name of inclusion.

Yes, that's illogical, but that's LWW-ism.

I actually wrote to them a while back when they were organizing antigun protests. I said as someone raised Unitarian I would like to have a dialog and set the record straight on some gun facts and myths.

I didn't even get a response. Which sucks because it's a pretty small close religious community.

I attended catholic service almost every week before and after marrying my wife while living in the city for years. I was seriously thinking about converting. Our church never had a priest say anything about gun regulations. Then Pfleger got to Cupich. If they wanted to get more liberal I woulda liked to see them accept gays, not reject guns. But they went guns so that became another denomination I was no longer welcome in.

I'm so sick of this "wanting to have a dialog about common sense gun blah blah".

Don Harmon told me the same thing," I want to talk about what we can do to compromise so I can appease my constituents without penalizing you guys". Followed up with him and crickets.

This is what I hate about left wing wackos, as BobPistol calls them. They infect respectable institutions, then hide behind academia that there is logic behind their emotional appeals. They use words like "nonbiased" "common sense" "equality" and "invite people to have a dialog" while prestaging any audience participation.

It's all part of their subterfuge of intolerance.

I don't agree with all of Alex Marlow or Steven Crowder's views but they are excellent at using the socratic method in debate. Both are a lot more enlightening to listen to then the LWW lynch mob.

Archived