State Rep Arrested For Carrying While Revoked

Lou

A compromise to a lifetime FOID and the current law... in case someone here actually does seek to interest Rep Tarver in making changes.

Perhaps the FOID should should remain valid as long as the holder has a valid CCL, and for 5 years after a CCL has expired, except when the CCL/FOID has been revoked or the holder has changed residency to another state. The additional 5 years for the FOID would serve to prevent a resident from having to concurrently pay for overlapping "rights", and possibly keep some good folks out of trouble.

It would also seem reasonable that if residency was changed to a substantially similar state, a CCL could be converted to a non-resident card with appropriate fees for the production and mailing of a new card. Such residency transfer cards should then expire on the original date, as any replacement card should be.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.

A compromise to a lifetime FOID and the current law... in case someone here actually does seek to interest Rep Tarver in making changes.

Perhaps the FOID should should remain valid as long as the holder has a valid CCL, and for 5 years after a CCL has expired, except when the CCL/FOID has been revoked or the holder has changed residency to another state. The additional 5 years for the FOID would serve to prevent a resident from having to concurrently pay for overlapping "rights", and possibly keep some good folks out of trouble.

It would also seem reasonable that if residency was changed to a substantially similar state, a CCL could be converted to a non-resident card with appropriate fees for the production and mailing of a new card. Such residency transfer cards should then expire on the original date, as any replacement card should be.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.

Good lord we can actually agree on something lol. While I want the whole system tossed, this is (possibly) doable

Hundreds of people have let there FOID expire and had CCL REVOKED. Some have been waiting over a year and not had CCL reinstated. If you notice the ISP keeps reporting hundreds of CCL Revoked. They then list reason for Revocation. But never state that if you don't apply for your FOID before it expires you get your CCL Revoked. You also get a letter stating you have 72 hours to surrender your firearms, CCL and FOID to law enforcement, or a warrant could be issued. This is what Acting ISP Director Kelly wanted to get Team to go collect guns, FOID and CCL when your FOID expired. What about the person who died and the widow got the letter. Several Widows in southern Illinois are terrified that they have the swat team visit.

This has to stop! maybe the IL Supreme court will rule in favor of gun owners in the White county FOID case!

If I was a betting person, ISP Kelly will issue the State Rep a Temp FOID and say it was a clerical error. But the hundreds of Peasants will still not have there CCL reinstated and life will go on.

Talked to a staffer for a downstate Rep last week. The staffer does several inquires a week about FOID and CCL problems. They are now not getting any response from fire arm services! You cannot get through by phone!!! So Firearm owners are at the mercy of Acting Director Kelly and JB!

• 8 months later...

Charges dropped in Tarver concealed carry gun case

https://www.hpherald.com/news/politics/charges-dropped-in-tarver-concealed-carry-gun-case/article_fbd16052-e198-11ea-b300-1f7cc30db235.html

Herald staff report Aug 18, 2020

Charges against Rep. Curtis J. Tarver II (D-25th) for failing to surrender a concealed carry license were dropped on Monday, and the legislator criticized Chicago police for their treatment of him during a traffic stop last November.

Tarver was stopped on November 18 of last year for driving with a broken headlight. CPD officers asked him if there was a firearm in the vehicle. After Tarver handed over the weapon and his concealed carry license, officers found that the license had been revoked, and arrested and charged the representative.

At the time, Tarver maintained that the arrest was due to a “clerical error” because he had just renewed his Firearm Owners Identification card. A spokesperson for the CPD told the Sun-Times a few days after the arrest that the case “likely a paperwork issue.”

Now, charges have been dropped. Politico first reported the news Tuesday morning. Tarver did not respond to a request for comment from the Herald.

In a Tuesday press release, Tarver criticized CPD officers for their treatment of him during the arrest, saying that he had been handcuffed to a bench for nearly seven hours.

“Against CPD policy, I was demanded to hand my firearm to an officer. I continued to explain that this must have been a clerical error, as I was in legal possession of my firearm,” Tarver wrote. “Despite this explanation I was transported to the 4th District police station, where one of the officers tried to persuade me into ‘taking this charge.’”

Tarver also says he was denied a phone call, and that he was forced to remove his sweatshirt so that his tattoos would be visible in his mugshot.

“As a Black man from the Southside of Chicago, I am not looked at as an Illinois state representative during these interactions with law enforcement,” he wrote. “I hate to imagine what could have happened that day if I was not fully knowledgeable of my constitutional rights, and what many of my constituents may be coerced with while interacting with law enforcement.”...

https://www.hpherald.com/news/politics/charges-dropped-in-tarver-concealed-carry-gun-case/article_fbd16052-e198-11ea-b300-1f7cc30db235.html

Herald staff report Aug 18, 2020

Charges against Rep. Curtis J. Tarver II (D-25th) for failing to surrender a concealed carry license were dropped on Monday, and the legislator criticized Chicago police for their treatment of him during a traffic stop last November.

Tarver was stopped on November 18 of last year for driving with a broken headlight. CPD officers asked him if there was a firearm in the vehicle. After Tarver handed over the weapon and his concealed carry license, officers found that the license had been revoked, and arrested and charged the representative.

At the time, Tarver maintained that the arrest was due to a “clerical error” because he had just renewed his Firearm Owners Identification card. A spokesperson for the CPD told the Sun-Times a few days after the arrest that the case “likely a paperwork issue.”

Now, charges have been dropped. Politico first reported the news Tuesday morning. Tarver did not respond to a request for comment from the Herald.

In a Tuesday press release, Tarver criticized CPD officers for their treatment of him during the arrest, saying that he had been handcuffed to a bench for nearly seven hours.

“Against CPD policy, I was demanded to hand my firearm to an officer. I continued to explain that this must have been a clerical error, as I was in legal possession of my firearm,” Tarver wrote. “Despite this explanation I was transported to the 4th District police station, where one of the officers tried to persuade me into ‘taking this charge.’”

Tarver also says he was denied a phone call, and that he was forced to remove his sweatshirt so that his tattoos would be visible in his mugshot.

“As a Black man from the Southside of Chicago, I am not looked at as an Illinois state representative during these interactions with law enforcement,” he wrote. “I hate to imagine what could have happened that day if I was not fully knowledgeable of my constitutional rights, and what many of my constituents may be coerced with while interacting with law enforcement.”...

And let's not hold our breath while he crafts legislation protecting the rest of our rights if in a similar situation. If we did, we would all pass out.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2020/8/19/21375914/illinois-state-rep-curtis-tarver-ii-concealed-carry-charge-dropped

full story at link...

...A misdemeanor gun charge against a South Side state representative has been dropped because prosecutors did not have enough evidence to continue with the case.

Curtis Tarver II, D-25th, was charged in November with failing to surrender a concealed carry license when officers found him with a gun during a Woodlawn traffic stop.

The charge was dropped Aug. 4., as first reported by Politico.

Tarver said in November the charge stemmed from a “clerical error” by the police.

“After a review, we concluded that the evidence was insufficient to meet our burden of proof to move forward with the prosecution,” Cook County state’s attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said in an emailed statement....

• 2 weeks later...

So the Peoria Journal Star columnist, today 9/7, wrote about Tarver. The columnist is the Urinal Star's Springfield reporter.

The columnist claimed Tarver's alleged offense, well, read for yourself.

https://peoriajournalstar-il-app.newsmemory.com/?publink=2210dd597

The columnist's lead:

Last month, the urbane, freshman lawmaker had all charges against him dismissed by Cook County prosecutors – nine months after his arrest.

His alleged offense? He was carrying while Black.

----------------

He went on to quote an assistant professor's opinion at Rutgers University about why this happened:

This deep-seated fear may date back to fear of slave rebellions. But just look at how much worse the armed Black Panthers were treated in the 1960s compared to how white militias are today

So the Peoria Journal Star columnist, today 9/7, wrote about Tarver. The columnist is the Urinal Star's Springfield reporter.

The columnist claimed Tarver's alleged offense, well, read for yourself.

https://peoriajournalstar-il-app.newsmemory.com/?publink=2210dd597

The columnist's lead:

Last month, the urbane, freshman lawmaker had all charges against him dismissed by Cook County prosecutors nine months after his arrest.

His alleged offense? He was carrying while Black.

----------------

He went on to quote an assistant professor's opinion at Rutgers University about why this happened:

This deep-seated fear may date back to fear of slave rebellions. But just look at how much worse the armed Black Panthers were treated in the 1960s compared to how white militias are today

As this was all going down (his arrest being public):

post-16014-0-34337200-1599623526_thumb.jpeg

Apparently, voters are slave masters. Who knew.....

State Rep. Curtis Tarver II (D-Chicago)

Invalid CCL

Common Criminal

What the ####

Why should he be allowed to be a State Rep

“. Tarver was charged with a misdemeanor for the invalid license. He was also cited for the faulty headlight. He was issued an I-bond (a no-cash bond) and released.”

He was charged with misdemeanor- not a felony. A felony would end his career.

Tell that to Marion Barry

Archived