Photo

Medical Labs Carry - Yes / No?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

Friday I went to my doctor for my yearly physical.  My employer had changed insurance and upon checking with them I found that while my doctor was in network his lab was not.  Evidently my insurance has partnered with a lab franchise and no longer works with small independent labs.  So a quick google and I found the local lab franchise and asked my doctor to send the lab order there.  Saturday morning I arrived at the lab for my 8:15 labs (minus my carry).  I was surprised that while the door to the lab office had a no smoking sign there was no GFZ sign. 

While waiting for the tech to come do the blood draw I thought about it.  The lab is a medical facility but there are no doctors, only various technicians.  No one goes there for treatment, only tests.  They transmit your results to your doctor to go over with you.  So the question I have is a medical lab a GFZ?  Please none of that concealed is concealed or don't ask don't tell stuff.  If you don't know don't guess.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#2 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

If the lab / medical facility is a hospital affiliate then it is prohibited. If they are not an affiliate and privately owned then they are not prohibited.

It doesn't matter whether an actual doctor is on site or not. Plus, was there a GFZ sign posted or not.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#3 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

Is the door posted?  It is their responsibility to post if they are part of the 23 locations where prohibited.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#4 DomG

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

Is the door posted?  It is their responsibility to post if they are part of the 23 locations where prohibited.

^^^^^ 100% agree.  THEIR job to identify as a GFZ. Not yours to have to figure it out.

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges." - Tacitus"
"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." -Tacitus

NRA Life Member
ISRA
USCCA
IL CCL
AZ CWP
VFW Life Member
USAF Retired (So I guess that makes me a Life Member)

#5 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,374 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

^^^^^ 100% agree.  THEIR job to identify as a GFZ. Not yours to have to figure it out.

but do the King's Men and State Persecutor agree with your agreement?

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#6 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

There is no way for a reasonable person to know if any particular medical facility or office is associated with a hospital unless they post. So, if I don't see a sign, I carry...unless I know the building is a hospital. Usually a hospital will have a sign in front saying "Such-n-such Hospital". That'd be my tipoff if there's no posting.

#7 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

I don't think a case has been brought up yet?  If you are following the law, ultimately you shouldn't have a thing to worry about.  Yes a ride downtown is part of the program..

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#8 civilone

• Supporting Members Team
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

Number 7 under the FCCA Prohibited Zones:

(7) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or; 
      private hospital or hospital affiliate, mental health facility, or nursing home.

I pay attention to whether a medical facility of any type is under the control of a hospital and/or if it is posted.  Most medical places I frequent are not hospital facilities, are not posted, and depending on the type of appointment it is I will or will not CC.  If I am bringing someone to an appointments and it is not hospital related, it is not posted, and I will be waiting in the waiting room then...yes; if I am getting a physical in an unposted, non-hospital related facility then...no.  I have asked for a referral to a different doctor just once to avoid a hospital related facility but that was balanced with the quality of the medical care.  If the best doctor is in a hospital related facility then I choose the best doctor.

Edited by civilone, 20 April 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#9 DomG

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

Did Rosa Parks worry about the King's Men or her inherent rights?

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges." - Tacitus"
"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." -Tacitus

NRA Life Member
ISRA
USCCA
IL CCL
AZ CWP
VFW Life Member
USAF Retired (So I guess that makes me a Life Member)

#10 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

On a doc visit a few years ago....Located in an 'office park' of sorts.

No sign... I carried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users