Prices no Auctions?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kraaaken

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

Can we consider making a rule in the WTS section to have the OP's post a price or a trade item they will accept?  I've seen now at least "looking for best offer" which turns into a weird auction thread.  Just a thought to keep threads cleaner.

Tony

#2 biggun 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^

#3 soundguy

• 5,598 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

Good idea. I don't like auctions.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#4 spanishjames

• 2,795 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:45 PM

I agree. It's annoying. Just describe the item, give a location, and add "$___ Or Best Offer"

To disarm is to consent to slavery.

#5 borgranta

• Members
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:16 PM

Considering how prices on firearms can vary it would be a good idea for the OP when offering for trade to state a minimum price range value of a trade that they will accept.  What happens if a seller is offered a $600 AR for their $800 pistol listed in their for trade post?  In order to be fair to both poster and purchaser a price range is best.

The following referral code will grant provide a new User of Uber a free ride up to $15
donaldd4557ui

#6 soundguy

• 5,598 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

We could just mock them!

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#7 Euler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

If sellers want to solicit bids, they should probably just solicit closed bids via PMs.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#8 Dcompton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

I personally HATE when someone posts something for sale and just says “best offer” or “make offer”. When I was younger my dad went with me to buy a car. The guy was kind of hem-hawing around saying the price dancing around the whole “what will you give me for it?” My dad looked at him and said “Look, we can’t buy it from you and sell it for you at the same time. What do you want for her?” I have never forgotten that day.

#9 Rilo

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

A price is a great idea!

A trade is not as easy as people like myself are open to a lot of things!

#10 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• 2,543 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

I wasn't aware we were running an auction site. I think the "guidelines" should be changed to require an asking price, no bidding, no auction-type activities. 

-- Frank

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#11 gunuser17

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

I am not sure why anyone would care how someone attempts to sell something here.  If you are not interested, ignore the post.  If you are, then contact the seller directly and negotiate.  I repeatedly see items listed here that start at one price and then drop multiple times trying to get a sale.  I don't see much diffence between that and an auction.  How many times have you seen an auctioneer try to start at a price and then have to go lower to get a buyer interested.  In the end, there is no requirement here to get a "fair" price.  There is simply what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller to have a transaction go as smoothly as possible.

Edited by gunuser17, 12 April 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#12 spanishjames

• 2,795 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

I am not sure why anyone would care how someone attempts to sell something here.  If you are not interested, ignore the post.  If you are, then contact the seller directly and negotiate.  I repeatedly see items listed here that start at one price and then drop multiple times trying to get a sale.  I don't see much diffence between that and an auction.  How many times have you seen an auctioneer try to start at a price and then have to go lower to get a buyer interested.  In the end, there is no requirement here to get a "fair" price.  There is simply what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller to have a transaction go as smoothly as possible.

Because it's a "For Sale or Trade" forum, not an auction site.

To disarm is to consent to slavery.

#13 chicagoresident

• 1,628 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

I would say if people want to do the auction thing let them. Questions, comments, and offers are publicly posted just like an auction site.

But if a price is posted common courtesy would be to negotiate via PM details on what you think it's worth.

Edited by chicagoresident, 12 April 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#14 richp

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hi,

Results are what matters to a seller. And if the open-ended start is unsuccessful, they can abandon the effort or retool the post.

People who get turned off by the auction style or skimpy info posts have a choice whether to follow that thread or not. But it seems like eventually the information potential buyers want, and need to make a decision, gets added or amended.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

#15 45Badger

• 1,923 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Post a price. Saves everybody time, especially potential buyers. Taking offers is passive aggressive vaginal cleansing solution-baggery.

Edited by 45Badger, 17 April 2018 - 12:56 PM.

9mm = 45ACP set on "stun"
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!

.45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

“The most dangerous risk of all – The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

#16 quackersmacker

• 1,775 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

I'm with GU17 and RichP.     Let the free market prevail.   This is America!    At least I think it still is.......

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#17 Tommy6862

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

I buy a lot of stuff on here im not going

to start bidding on things Post a price. I myself look at the price then pm an offer once then move on.

#18 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

Start at one dollar...as long as the seller is committed to a time frame and the top offer...go for it...

Edited by MagSlap, 17 April 2018 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users