3/15 where we stand today

Tvandermyde

I've got a lot of thoughts running through my head as I got back from the capitol.

On just a quick note, HB1468 the 72 hour wait on long guns has been sent to the Governor. The other two house bills will go back to the House for concurrence or non concur motions. We shall see.

They really are playing games and don't want to give the Governor any wins on anything. That veto really set them off as they thought that they had him in a box.

As one senator told me yesterday this is all political theater, in explaining some of his votes. They expect gun guys to see the "politics" of these largely symbolic votes in their eyes and have some forgiveness if none of this becomes law. We'll see.

We now have several weeks to ramp up the pressure on legislators. Those in the House to vote against certain bills and for senators to sustain the veto of the Governor.

And at this point, I would not be surprised to see a semi-auto ban brought out after they get back. As I said before, things will get worse before they get better.

I also understand why people say never give an inch. and the other side made a gross over reach by adding the roll back of preemption into the bump stock bill. they got to cute by half in playing games with it. So we'll see what happens in the House. But I'm thinking we can strip a bunch of votes off that bill. and have a shot at not having the amendment concurred too.

The under 21 possession of semi-auto and mags is the same way now that we have time to explain the bill and its problems. One of the largest problems is that the affirmative defense only applies to possession of the firearm. Not the magazines. So this is a mag ban for anyone under 21 on mags over 10 rounds and it is a per se violation so no intent is required.It really does put a death blow to junior shooting teams and younger shooters.

More as I sort out my thoughts

Did the bump stock bill get sent back to house to vote on the removal of preemption from the CCL bill?

Yes, it goes back to House for concurrence vote.

I see killing preemption as the one thing we cannot allow to pass. It opens up a whole can of worms.

While I'm not a fan of any of the bills, at least they'd be state law. Everyone would know where they stand, so to speak. Creating a patchwork of laws across the state where you are a law abiding citizen here but in that town you are a criminal is unconscionable.

...........As one senator told me yesterday this is all political theater, in explaining some of his votes. They expect gun guys to see the "politics" of these largely symbolic votes in their eyes and have some forgiveness if none of this becomes law. We'll see......

I'd say that's a gross error on their part. There's a big difference between forgiving and trusting.

Did the bump stock bill get sent back to house to vote on the removal of preemption from the CCL bill?

Pardon the stupid question. The bills going back to the House for concurrence would (if passed) then go to the governor for signature or veto....correct?

Pardon the stupid question. The bills going back to the House for concurrence would (if passed) then go to the governor for signature or veto....correct?

yes edit: and not a stupid question. Takes a while to understand how things are supposed to work. Maybe this will help

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14214

At least we care...not so much some of the legislators (or so it would seem)

Todd V. said; "It really does put a death blow to junior shooting teams and younger shooters."

I doubt that that is an accident. If they can discourage the next generations the 2A voters gradually disappear.

I honestly believe that Trump is our only hope. If he gets to fill one or, for sure, two SCOTUS vacancies, we might see some protection for our 2A rights. .

Todd V. said; "It really does put a death blow to junior shooting teams and younger shooters."

I doubt that that is an accident. If they can discourage the next generations the 2A voters gradually disappear.

I honestly believe that Trump is our only hope. If he gets to fill one or, for sure, two SCOTUS vacancies, we might see some protection for our 2A rights. .

I believe Justice Kennedy is planning retirement. Hopefully that is one. One day the necromancer controlling Ginsberg will give up and hopefully that's 2. The next issue is we need the Supreme Court to TAKE some 2A cases and rule in our favor.

Archived