Robbery victim shoots 14year old robber. Both are charged?!

Chicago312

Note the linked story in that article:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Girl-14-Shot-During-Meetup-to-Buy-Item-in-Little-Village-Police-565641991.html

The fall-back position of the media these days is to automatically assume that the individual shot is the victim, rather than a criminal who was defended against by a firearm owner.

It never looks good when you leave the scene without calling 911 and then not reporting incident in a safe location. Not sure she should have been charged as the 14 year old pulled a bb gun. Its hard to tell real or fake in a split second. But we still dont all the facts yet. Media has to make gun owners look crazy and dangerous for the sake of the children.

The fall-back position of the media these days is to automatically assume that the individual shot is the victim, rather than a criminal who was defended against by a firearm owner.

-The story at the link was the initial report.

-More information was discovered after the shooter who fled was detained.

-Update initial story with details.

I thought the initial article was factual. It's possible the injured 14 year old robber didn't have a chance to explain her victims point of view until later... I'm sure she was anxious to explain how it was all her fault as they transported her to the hospital.

How would you have written it?

-The story at the link was the initial report.

-More information was discovered after the shooter who fled was detained.

-Update initial story with details.

I thought the initial article was factual. It's possible the injured 14 year old robber didn't have a chance to explain her victims point of view until later... I'm sure she was anxious to explain how it was all her fault as they transported her to the hospital.

How would you have written it?

I started working as a journalist in 1989, including for wire services back then as well as local news sources, and if I had misreported the facts so completely before they had a chance to be determined, vetted, and checked, I'd have had a short career of it.

I would have reported it after I got clarification as to the actual facts of the story. That's the problem with instant-information journalism today, that there is a rush to get a sensational story out, especially if it fits a particular narrative, before verification and information-gathering is done.

That's one of the reasons I retired from active reporting. Immediate reporting of information is almost never to the benefit of accuracy.

Active FOID yes

No CCL yes

Article says they met to sell the dog.

If she wasn’t in or on her own property, then she wasn’t carrying under FCCA

She may be in big and deep dodo

This unfortunately, as they met on the sidewalk. NOW, if said sidewalk was directly in fromt of her stoop, could it be argued, she was still 'at home'?

Active FOID yes

No CCL yes

Article says they met to sell the dog.

If she wasn’t in or on her own property, then she wasn’t carrying under FCCA

She may be in big and deep dodo

This unfortunately, as they met on the sidewalk. NOW, if said sidewalk was directly in fromt of her stoop, could it be argued, she was still 'at home'?

It's screwed up when police would rather somebody be an unarmed victim (especially a woman), and possibly raped or even dead VS. protecting ones well being. Laws be damned.

Archived