Illinois Air Team (Emissions testing)

MJB

What the heck is a testing facility ? Lol

Up in the right top corner of the State most of the counties require your vehicle to be tested for emissions regularly or they revoke the vehicles plates and/or your drivers licence, we are special like that up here... You basically pull into an open garage, get out of the car and get put into a closet sized glass room while the guy hooks up to your OBD computer and runs some test on the car then lets you out of the room and gives you pass fail paperwork...

It's a way for our beloved pols to appear concerned for the environment AND spend our money using favored contractors at the same time. Most vehicles that fail are older and end up getting waivers. Emissions will automatically improve as those older vehicles die and are replaced with newer, more efficient cars - all accomplished without a single test station...

Up in the right top corner of the State most of the counties require your vehicle to be tested for emissions regularly or they revoke the vehicles plates and/or your drivers licence, we are special like that up here... You basically pull into an open garage, get out of the car and get put into a closet sized glass room while the guy hooks up to your OBD computer and runs some test on the car then lets you out of the room and gives you pass fail paperwork...

It's like a penalty in hockey... You get put in a box for a timeout.

Sent from my Nexus 7

sorry forgot the purple.

Madison and St Clair county residents also are required to have their vehicle tested. Its a relatively painless procedure unless your vehicle fails. Test notices come out for each of your vehicles every two years. Generally a few months before your car license expires.

I will add that, in Madison and St. Clair, you only have to get checked if you are within a certain number of miles of St. Louis. I moved from Troy (Madison) to a town farther east, but am still in Madison. I no longer have to get checked.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

sorry forgot the purple.

It's OK, it's utterly stupid that the law only applies to certain higher populated zipcodes, pretty much proves that it's more of a feel good law then actually doing anything... And even further proven on the feel good status when you consider basic lawn care equipment is arguably a far greater emissions (and spillage) problem overall in this country...

I find it funny, that I drive 10 minutes to work and have to get my vehicle checked. Yet the eight gentlemen and one woman that works in the same office all drive a minimum of 20 minutes and some almost an hour to get to work here, but none of them have to get their vehicles checked.

Stupid law, serving no purpose but wasting taxpayers money.

The areas that need to have the vehicles tested are called "non-attainment" areas. Meaning, air quality is worse in those areas.

That is why only certain areas are required to have the cars tested.

As long as your check engine light is not on, your car will pass. Some try to cheat by disconnecting the battery or using a cheap code reader to clear the codes. However if you do this, your engine light may not be on but the OBD system will come back "not ready".

You will not pass with a "not ready".

Just because your OBD light is on, does not mean your car won't pass. It could be a transmission problem, A/C, P/S, etc. that throws the code and has nothing to do with the emission components of the engine.

As long as your check engine light is not on, your car will pass. Some try to cheat by disconnecting the battery or using a cheap code reader to clear the codes. However if you do this, your engine light may not be on but the OBD system will come back "not ready".

But your OSB doesn't have to have all the test complete just most of them, you can clear the codes drive for an hour or so and usually pass because enough of the test are to comply with the law, I have known many people (home mechanics) to do this including myself... I had a car a few years back that would toss emission problems on rainy or humid days only... I waited for a hot dry day, cleared the codes, drove for 45 minutes and took it in and passed the test...

RockerXX, on 21 May 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:RockerXX, on 21 May 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

barryware, on 21 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:barryware, on 21 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

But your OSB doesn't have to have all the test complete just most of them, you can clear the codes drive for an hour or so and usually pass because enough of the test are to comply with the law, I have known many people (home mechanics) to do this including myself... I had a car a few years back that would toss emission problems on rainy or humid days only... I waited for a hot dry day, cleared the codes, drove for 45 minutes and took it in and passed the test...

I cleared the codes for a neighbor using my scanguage II. He brought his car in two days later and failed because it came back "not ready". It was a GM car. Maybe others are different in regard to how long the OBD monitors and turns ready (or throws a code).

Cleared the codes on my father-in-laws car (cam position sensor - right bank). The light was back on two days later. I don't know how long the OBD was on the not ready state if at all before the light came back on.

I did something like this http://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/1234/How-do-I-complete-a-Nissan-Xterra-drive-cycle-to-set-the-emission-monitors for my car a couple years ago. It worked like a charm. Then, on the way home from the test facility, the check engine light came back on. I got lucky...

I cleared the codes for a neighbor using my scanguage II. He brought his car in two days later and failed because it came back "not ready". It was a GM car. Maybe others are different in regard to how long the OBD monitors and turns ready (or throws a code).

Cleared the codes on my father-in-laws car (cam position sensor - right bank). The light was back on two days later. I don't know how long the OBD was on the not ready state if at all before the light came back on.

As shown above you Google around you can find the triggers (aka the drive cycles) that initiate the OSB test for most cars... For me it was something like a cold start after 8 hours of sitting, followed by 10 miles of driving between 40-50 never exceeding a certain RPM or exceeding 50 MPH, then something like 10 miles at a constant 55 or over with no breaking or slowing down and then another on/off start cycle...

For most cars if you wait 24 hours after the codes are cleared and do a few minutes of freeway driving and a few minutes of city driving with a couple of on/off starts you should be OK in most cases...

You're allowed to have 2 "not ready" monitors. If you have 3, it's an automatic fail. I had to take my car out of storage to get it tested (so I could renew my license plate). Since my battery had run down, it was a huge PITA before I could get enough monitors to reset.

You're allowed to have 2 "not ready" monitors. If you have 3, it's an automatic fail. I had to take my car out of storage to get it tested (so I could renew my license plate). Since my battery had run down, it was a huge PITA before I could get enough monitors to reset.

You get three fails before you are required to document any repairs, I understand that if the car is not driven it can be a hassle, especially if you have no plates to drive it legally and reset the test... But, if you drive it a bit you should be OK... Although I know full well how aggravating it can be to have emissions issues, I have a '87 Chevy pickup that has been a farm (non-plated) truck for about 10 years now because even after I spent nearly $2K on a brand new crate GM engine followed by a bunch of other parts and repairs it still would not pass emissions, so even though I could likely get a waiver now it's going to stay retired as a farm truck...

If you have an OBDII tester even my cheap Harbor Freight one tells me what test are done and what test are not complete, I recommend getting one it's a great investment and will likely pay for itself in short for most people... One $75 service charge to find out your gas cap wasn't tight and it would be paid for...

You get three fails before you are required to document any repairs, I understand that if the car is not driven it can be a hassle, especially if you have no plates to drive it legally and reset the test... But, if you drive it a bit you should be OK... Although I know full well how aggravating it can be to have emissions issues, I have a '87 Chevy pickup that has been a farm (non-plated) truck for about 10 years now because even after I spent nearly $2K on a brand new crate GM engine followed by a bunch of other parts and repairs it still would not pass emissions, so even though I could likely get a waiver now it's going to stay retired as a farm truck...

If you have an OBDII tester even my cheap Harbor Freight one tells me what test are done and what test are not complete, I recommend getting one it's a great investment and will likely pay for itself in short for most people... One $75 service charge to find out your gas cap wasn't tight and it would be paid for...

I had a truck the same year, and I could not get the bugger to pass even after throwing hundreds of dollars of parts at it. I found out later the vin number said it had a 5.0L v8 but someone had swapped in the 5.7L....

Fortunately the truck is long gone and we now live in an area that doesn't do this testing yet. I think it's a big waste of time and money.

Archived