Ruger LCR

bornhunter04

I had the chance to shoot a new ruger lcr yesterday and run it through it's paces a bit. Shooting it was different than i expected. I figured it'd have hella muzzle flip and recoil so bad i'd never want to shoot it. But, instead it was more like a straight back shove into the palm of my hand. It's got the fatter factory hogue grip. I shot 125 gr. Blazer Brass ammo and i put 5 shots of hornady critical defense 110gr. + p. Overall i really like it, except i know i was using too much trigger finger thus causing my groups to track to the right a bit. But with the long trigger pull i'm unsure of how to mitigate this. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyway, on to the targets! Both targets were shot @ 10 yards off-handed.

There's 20 rounds of blazer ammo here, shot with a semi-slow fire pace, the flyer in the upper right corner was all my fault.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb459/sstruck85/P4020228.jpg

Here's the target of critcal defense, it took a couple shots to the get the sight picture right, surprisingly the first shot was very low using the same sight picture as i was using with the 125 gr. bullets, even though it's a lighter faster round.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb459/sstruck85/P4020229.jpg

Update: Went shooting yesterday, shot both of these targets @ 10 yards with the LCR fast fire, I shooting as fast as I could reset the trigger and reload the cylinder. 25 rounds in each target.

The more I shoot this little snubbie the more I like it. It's defiantly a viable choice.

On the first targets, 2 center mass, then 1 head, followed by 2 more center mass to finish the cylinder. I did that for 5 cylinders. Just to see how easy it would be to transition with the LCR, I'm very pleased with it.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb459/sstruck85/P4110238.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb459/sstruck85/P4110242.jpg

Nice shooting. You will get use to the trigger pull. I have had the LCR for a few years now. Bought it for the bedroom pistol box. The wife wanted a straight point and pull the trigger gun for when I am not around. Believe it or not. The LCR imho has the best trigger for a stubby there is out the box. You can stack the trigger on mine with practice. It is only good to do that when your just shooting. To iffy in a self defence situation. What I really like is. It is like hearing and feeling a piece of glass breaking when the trigger snaps. You will like your little LCR a lot.

The LCR is not a target pistol and, unless your target measures 3ft across, I'd say your shooting just fine. Defensive shooting, IMHO, is more about putting quick shots (and follow ups) anywhere on a paper plate sized target at 7-15 yards.

The LCR is not a target pistol and, unless your target measures 3ft across, I'd say your shooting just fine. Defensive shooting, IMHO, is more about putting quick shots (and follow ups) anywhere on a paper plate sized target at 7-15 yards.

Oh yeah i agree with that, i was just trying to get a threshold of what i should reasonable expect from that little gun with slow fire before increasing the tempo. That and i always shoot my defensive loads to make sure the gun will group them before i load up for real. No point in carrying a load the gun don't like. Everyone just assumes because of that little barrel you won't be able to hit anything, but i was impressed with how it shot, and it's much different than shooting a glock. I was training with a G19 drawing from concealment and moving, right before i started shooting the LCR so I had to force myself to slow down. But i wanted to establish a baseline of expected accuracy before i start picking up the tempo with the little snubbie. I'll practice with the LCR much much more before it ever goes out with me.

Archived