What's the prefered 1911 barrel length for carry?

Buzzard

I'm mulling over what's the best 1911 barrel length for carry. Are there any members out there carrying a full length, 5 inch 1911 out there? I have a 5 inch barrel government now. I'm considering a shorter 4 inch gun for carry use. I don't think I'd move down to a three inch barrel, although I wouldn't mind shooting one to try it. I'd like to hear some opinions.

I don't know about the skinnier guys , but there is no way I could carry a full size 1911 unless I carried it openly. Or in a situation where I just draped a shirt over it and didn't care if it showed . I have a 3 in. Kimber and love how it handles and shoots.

I traded a Colt gold cup , series 70 in on the Kimber. There is a very slight increase in recoil . As far as accuracy , by bracing my arm against a post , I was able to make 3 shots touch each other at 15 yards .

I would think a Springfield or a Colt with a 3 or 4 in. barrel would do the same.

For inside the pants carry you might find the 3 in. to be more comfy.

I carry a 3"

why are you hesitant about the 3"?

It's the loss of the sight radiius, mostly. And I like the looks of the standard 5 inch. I know - that's a foolish statement to make. Why worry about the look of a gun that will be used for concealed carry? Well, your friends will see it. And they'll probably say, "Why didn't you get a 3 inch?"

I know some people say the grip is actually harder to conceal then say the length of the barrel. Have you had a chance to look at the "bobtail" models Buzz? I know they do command a premium, but I believe Dan Wesson's models are reasonably priced.

Yes, I have. I was drooling over Ed Brown's website just last night and he offers several Bobtail models. As a 1911 "purist" I don't care for the look and Bobtails also don't mix well with mag wells - which I happen to prefer.

I have a 5 inch series 70 Gold Cup which has a few mods done already. So I'm trying to decide on doing a "reliability" job with a couple more enhancements to make it my carry gun - or - trade it off for a shorter barrel version with the options I want incorporated.

Decisions...decisions. And not to mention - no money to work with!

I've got a 3" Colt Defender in stainless. I like the way it shoots, funtions with all ammo. Accuracy is fine for self defense distances, it ain't a 50 yard gun, but that's not what it was bought for.

Carries well in a Don Hume IWB, a Bullard IWB or a Bullard OWB.

AB

I've got a 3" Colt Defender in stainless. I like the way it shoots, funtions with all ammo. Accuracy is fine for self defense distances, it ain't a 50 yard gun, but that's not what it was bought for.

AB

Yes, I'm hip to the "seven yards" thing. I guess I'm just funny about sacrificing sight radius for conceal-ability. That, and the three inch guns look like part of the barrel was left at the factory.

AB

Yes, I'm hip to the "seven yards" thing. I guess I'm just funny about sacrificing sight radius for conceal-ability. That, and the three inch guns look like part of the barrel was left at the factory.

Oh, I don't know, I think it's kinda' sexy!! This is a file photo, I took the Hogue wraparound grips off and replaced them with Kimber hard rubber. Also added some "non-skid" tape to the front strap. If we ever get together near a range or shooting place, you're welcome to wring it out!!

post-661-127543984544.jpg

AB

Oh, I don't know, I think it's kinda' sexy!! This is a file photo, I took the Hogue wraparound grips off and replaced them with Kimber hard rubber. Also added some "non-skid" tape to the front strap. If we ever get together near a range or shooting place, you're welcome to wring it out!!

That is a nice, lil .45! And I don't mind the looks, either. It may just have been the goofy angle, butt first pictures I was looking at on the Kimber website that made me turn up my nose.

The sub 4" 1911s used to get a bad rap from the "experts" - but this seems to have changed as of late. From what I'm reading, most folks like their 3" pistols. I still like a full slide 5" 1911, but that's more gun to conceal. And it looks like Colt doesn't make the Officer's model anymore. I have a friend that has one, but he refuses to part with it.

From what I'm reading, most folks like their 3" pistols. I still like a full slide 5" 1911, but that's more gun to conceal. And it looks like Colt doesn't make the Officer's model anymore. I have a friend that has one, but he refuses to part with it.

+1

I love my kimber cdpii ultra carry 3"!!!

KImber has a " Super carry " now . The 4" model has a bobed handle on it. MSRP is $1530.00

If I'm spending that much I may as well get this jewel...

I just discovered it in Les Baer's Concept pistols.

It's called the Baer 1911 Concept VIII, .45 ACP - $1890.00

post-635-127552244916.jpg

The Baer Concept VIII© is a reduced size Commanche. This one is all-stainless steel...

with Baer deluxe fixed combat rear sight. The front strap is checkered at 30 lpi. Features include:

Baer stainless NM frame, NM slide and NM barrel with Baer stainless bushing Slide fitted to frame Double serrated slide LBC adjustable deluxe low mount rear sight with hidden rear leaf Baer dovetail front sight Baer beavertail grip safety w/pad Baer checkered slide stop Tuned Baer extractor Baer extended ejector Baer deluxe hammer and sear Lowered and flared ejection port Polished feed ramp and throated barrel Baer flat serrated mainspring housing Beveled magazine well Baer extended ambi safety Baer fitted speed trigger with action job Baer Premium Checkered Cocobolo grips Tuned for total reliability (1) 8-round premium magazine.

Baer's line of Concept pistols pushes the envelope for the perfect combination of ahead-of-the-art design, true custom craftsmanship, unparalleled performance, and the best value in the firearms industry. All Concept© pistols come with a crisp 4 lb. pull and all are guaranteed to deliver 3" groups at 50 yards.

Right now it's way out of my reach, but then so is legal carry in Illiois.

But I love this beatiful piece of workmanship by Les Baer.

It has everything I like in a 1911 custom.

If you will carry it regularly, I'd advise to get an alloy frame model. Weight is an issue with 1911s, at least for me. I find barrel length matters little, grip length matters some, and weight matters much.

That would be a good option if it's available. Also a steel ramp if it's fed a steady diet of hollow points. I see no reason for that though. Cheap ball ammo for practice and Federal Hydra Shoks for carry is the preferred diet of most.

If you will carry it regularly, I'd advise to get an alloy frame model. Weight is an issue with 1911s, at least for me. I find barrel length matters little, grip length matters some, and weight matters much.

+1 GF

I don't find any trouble concealing my full-size Govt. Model but the weight is definately an issue. The difference in "loaded" weight between my Govt. and Abolts' Defender is amazing, while the recoil is not what I expected at all. I figured that the Defender would be a handful, but suprisingly it was not that much more.

+1 GF

I don't find any trouble concealing my full-size Govt. Model but the weight is definately an issue. The difference in "loaded" weight between my Govt. and Abolts' Defender is amazing, while the recoil is not what I expected at all. I figured that the Defender would be a handful, but suprisingly it was not that much more.

For the most part, I've only carried 1911s in a leather Galco "slide" holster. I find this rig conceals the pistols (gov and commander sizes) very well, particularly if I put the belt through the loops so that it's on the outside of the holster. This holds the gun in very tight. But they get quite heavy. Many of the IWB holsters out there would work nicely, as well (but at the moment, I usually don't care if the muzzle protrudes a little from under my shirt of jacket). I am actually in the market for a lightweight 3" model ... and this might be my first choice:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/cdp/ultra_cdp_II/

+1 GF

For the most part, I've only carried 1911s in a leather Galco "slide" holster. I find this rig conceals the pistols (gov and commander sizes) very well, particularly if I put the belt through the loops so that it's on the outside of the holster. This holds the gun in very tight. But they get quite heavy. Many of the IWB holsters out there would work nicely, as well (but at the moment, I usually don't care if the muzzle protrudes a little from under my shirt of jacket). I am actually in the market for a lightweight 3" model ... and this might be my first choice:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/cdp/ultra_cdp_II/

GF, that's the one I have only not the II model. It functions perfectly with just about any load and accuracy is more than adequate for it's intended purpose. I really like it. It was my retirement present to myself.

I only have one minor complaint. Kimber melted and rounded all the sharp corners for discrete carry purposes but they cut nice sharp diamonds on the front and backstrap. They are great for a good grip to control recoil with full power loads BUT the sharp diamonds tend to catch on a shirt that is draped over either an IWB or OWB holster. Turn the wrong way or reach with your right arm and the shirt tends to stick to the backstrap and expose the butt. I thought about smoothing out the diamonds but they provide such a good grip I hate to.

Does that make sense?

Perhaps someone who has one would like to chime in, but I've been eyeballing the Springfield EMP for a while. I know there's at least one fella here who has one.

If you're looking for a daily carry, in 1911, that may be something to look at - at least that's what I've been considering.

-they come in 9mm and .40 smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuYao7fxYtI

With regard to these lightweight, aluminum alloy frame guns - has anyone experienced any feed ramp wear over time? I'm seeing some discussion of this on other forums, and most attribute this to using hollow point ammo. Why someone would use hollow points to practice with is beyond me. I can appreciate the match shooter wanting to practice with the same ammo he competes with. But I don't see an advantage for the defensive shooter to practice with hollow points instead of less expensive ball ammo. Especially when you know hollow points are chewing up your feed ramp.

Yes, I know I'm a fuss butt over little issues. And this only occurs over several thousand rounds. But I'm just curious and am asking because I trust the people here and don't know dick about the posters on the other boards. Fair enough?

Here's a thread with a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387177

Buzzard ,.

My 3" tactical has a ramped bbl. I don't know about the others. thinking.gif Sounds like one more reason to go with the 3" gun . poke.gif

Very easy to tell when you are handleing them in the gun shop. The man you referenced to sounds like he only shoots HP and that seems very silly to me. Go to the range shoot FMJ all day and at end of the session , put one or two mags of defense HP through the gun if you think you have to.

Buzzard ,.

My 3" tactical has a ramped bbl. I don't know about the others. thinking.gif Sounds like one more reason to go with the 3" gun . poke.gif

Very easy to tell when you are handleing them in the gun shop. The man you referenced to sounds like he only shoots HP and that seems very silly to me. Go to the range shoot FMJ all day and at end of the session , put one or two mags of defense HP through the gun if you think you have to.

Yup. The ramped barrel is one fix - if one is available for the gun in question.

The other is to add a steel ramp insert. Which must be installed by a gunsmith.

I'm curious if the Colt Defender comes with the ramped barrel.

As long as you have a good "cant" to your IWB holster even a 5" will hide. Just keep your end of your mag in line with your barrel and it can shrink down a bit. Putting it in at a square 90 degree makes that grip just back. Just wear your shirt tails out and buy your pants 2" bigger. Being in Illinois I have non IWB clothes and some IWB clothes lol Hopefully I will one day just need the IWB clothes. Never hurts to have a choice of a couple firearms you feel comfortable with and conceals depending on the clothes you are wearing.

Perhaps someone who has one would like to chime in, but I've been eyeballing the Springfield EMP for a while. I know there's at least one fella here who has one.

If you're looking for a daily carry, in 1911, that may be something to look at - at least that's what I've been considering.

I love mine, put quite a few rounds through it with zero problems. It's actually my favorite carry gun by far. One thing to note is that the 9mm is an alloy frame, while the .40 is steel framed so there is a weight difference between the two.

Buzz,

I don't know what your budget is but you should check out Rock Island. I've been passively checking out their 3.5" model. They can be had on GB for around $400 all day long. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172272459

I can't comment too much on them but I've read a little about them & it was all positive.

Buzz,

I don't know what your budget is but you should check out Rock Island. I've been passively checking out their 3.5" model. They can be had on GB for around $400 all day long. http://www.gunbroker...?Item=172272459

I can't comment too much on them but I've read a little about them & it was all positive.

My Govt. Model is a Rock Island. While I don't have thousands of rounds through it I have shot it enough to know that I trust it.

Buzz,

I don't know what your budget is but you should check out Rock Island. I've been passively checking out their 3.5" model. They can be had on GB for around $400 all day long. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172272459

Thanks for the tip!

I love mine, put quite a few rounds through it with zero problems. It's actually my favorite carry gun by far. One thing to note is that the 9mm is an alloy frame, while the .40 is steel framed so there is a weight difference between the two.

Thanks for letting me know, I was not aware of the 2 different materials used.

My fiance has one in 9mm - loves it! So far, 2000-rounds without a problem.

Archived