Emanuel to push for state-wide handgun registry

soundguy

So let's see how this works; You pay your $65 and your handgun gets entered into the state database. Your house gets robbed and your handgun gets stolen. You report it to the police as stolen. 6 months later the cops recover the hadngun at a crime scene, trace it through the database and it comes back to you. You've already reported that it was stolen and the database did nothing to prevent nor solve this crime. Now what? Are they going to re-open the case of your gun being stolen to try and find who did it?

Or, are you now liable for some type of penalty because your stolen handgun was used in a crime?

So let's see how this works; You pay your $65 and your handgun gets entered into the state database. Your house gets robbed and your handgun gets stolen. You report it to the police as stolen. 6 months later the cops recover the hadngun at a crime scene, trace it through the database and it comes back to you. You've already reported that it was stolen and the database did nothing to prevent nor solve this crime. Now what? Are they going to re-open the case of your gun being stolen to try and find who did it?

Or, are you now liable for some type of penalty because your stolen handgun was used in a crime?

Needless to say (but I'm saying it anyway), you aren't getting your gun back...

It really gets me that he has access like that, how much of the population does he really represent? Who is he other than another citizen?

Just the other day the Cardinal made Fr Mike the Archdiocese Emissary of Gun Control.

cardinal-changes-pflegers-role-new-duties-outside-st-sabinas.html

OMG!!

Mike, I thought you were just kidding and playing around with that creative humor of yours!

So just for fun - I clicked on the link and found -

"Effective immediately, Fr. Pfleger has been named the temporary administrator of St. Margaret of Scotland Parish," a written statement from the archdiocese said. "Additionally, Fr. Pfleger has agreed to take on a new responsibility in serving as the archdiocesan representative for newly developing anti-violence initiatives that will include a particular focus on issues surrounding gun violence."

YOU WEREN'T KIDDING!! He really IS the "Archdiocese Emissary of Gun Control."

Here's a good story on it from WSIL here in Southern Ill.

http://www.wsiltv.com/

Click on the handgun to watch the video .

.... Listen to Emanuel comparing registering handguns to registering a car. Then he slips up and mentions registering a rifle is like registering a motorcycle.

Thanks for pointing that out. While he wants handguns for now, you can easily tell he's thinking about all guns (rifles as mentioned, etc.). Very good point, and I think a point to be made justifying our NO COMPROMISE position.

What did Einstein say? This is not new ground here. Canada instituted a long gun registry and it was a total failure. What did Einstien say?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good riddance to the long-gun registry

By Michael Taube, The Ottawa Citizen December 12, 2011

Link

With Bill C-19 swiftly moving through Parliament, the federal long-gun registry has almost fired its last shot. Many Canadians will be pleased to see this wasteful, ineffective, billion-dollar boondoggle shut down. I’m one of them.

From the very beginning, the gun registry epitomized everything that was bad about the Canadian political process. It was originally supposed to cost taxpayers $2 million, and registration fees would cover other expenses. The whole thing ballooned out of control due to massive cost overruns, and ended up costing billions.

But whether the gun registry cost a couple of million dollars or a couple of billion dollars, not a single cent should have ever been spent on this ridiculous venture. It was a prime example of government inefficiency, and quickly became a bureaucratic nightmare. It attacked the individual rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens. And it accomplished absolutely nothing.

Yes, you read that right: nothing.

The nonsense that gun control apologists have been peddling — from press releases to public rallies — has created momentary diversions, but little else. The gun registry has had no effect on bringing down crime levels, because it wasn’t the useful tool it was purported to be.

Since this is the last time I’ll ever write about the gun registry, please indulge me as I take one final pleasurable swipe at l’enfant terrible, and bid it adieu.

The Canadian Firearms Registry was supposed to register all guns in our country. But there was one major flaw: only law-abiding citizens, such as hunters and gun collectors, would ever willingly register them. These particular individuals don’t pose an immediate threat to the safety and security of our nation. Did you honestly think criminals would pay the $60 fee, renewable every five years, to register their illegal weapons? If so, shame on you. Criminals don’t follow the law, they never intended to register their weapons, and they aren’t going to stop leading a life of crime due to an idiotic government initiative.

One could argue cost overruns and significant hours spent on building, maintaining and enforcing the gun registry helped reduce the ability of law enforcement to deal with our lax immigration laws and remaining terrorist cells, which are two major potential sources of increased numbers of illegal weapons entering our borders. The gun registry had no available mechanism to target illegal weapons. Hence, the police were only holding sheets of data of legally registered long guns, which doesn’t help crack down on violent crime.

There is also the long-standing problem of illegal weapons being smuggled into Canada across the border. As noted in a November 2007 RCMP report, Current Trends in Firearms Trafficking and Smuggling in Canada, the “illicit firearms market is characterized by a wide range of criminal participants, particularly individual entrepreneurs to full-fledged members of criminal organizations. These participants drive the market, either as consumers or, occasionally, through random individual sales to other criminals.” The black market for illegal weapons needs to be stopped dead in its tracks, and the criminal elements need to be rooted out of our society. For that to happen, we need more police to spend more time monitoring this problem — and spend less time worrying about law-abiding Canadians registering their legal weapons.

That’s why Canadians of different regions, backgrounds, and political stripes opposed the gun registry. Contrary to popular belief, this was not a right-wing issue. Yes, conservatives and libertarians led the fight, but in support of property rights and opposition to wasteful government spending. The gun registry interfered in our livelihoods, hobbies, privacy, and individual liberties and personal freedoms. Many other Canadians respected those positions — either early on, or as the evidence mounted against this initiative.

For the record, I’ve never owned a gun or fired one. (I have a couple of standing offers for the latter, and I hope to accomplish this task next year.) Even so, I recognize that the responsibility of owning a gun belongs to the individual, and not the state. I’m sick and tired of gun control advocates concerning themselves over the creation of a “gun culture” in Canada, which supposedly — in their own warped minds — exists in the U.S. I’ve met gun owners across the world, and I’ve found them to be decent, honourable and conventional people. They believe in law and order, the importance of family, safety and security of western democracies, and the freedom of choice to own a gun. I support all of those views, too.

It’s not going to matter for too much longer, however. If things move smoothly, the gun registry should be eliminated before Christmas. The frivolous registry data will be destroyed, as it should be. And we’ll never have to think about this mess again.

Michael Taube, a political analyst and commentator, and former speech writer for Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

© Copyright © The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Good+riddance+long+registry/5846830/story.html#ixzz1m1hAJcBZ

It's time to just pack up and leave this state.

Except for the politics, I kinda' like it here after 62 years. How about we make the OTHER guys leave?

Whether it be Rham or Madigan, the BS never stops. From Out of control parking fees, to gun BS, to astronomical taxes, to businesses fleeing or get. [/color] There isn't a single law passed that attacks or effects criminals. They prey on law abiding citizens and I'm sick of it. I'm a young man who hopes to start a family some day and this simply isn't the place to do it.

I've had all about I can take of this City and state.

BTW I called the ISRA and they said the phones are practically melting now they are receiving so many calls.

Yep, and where are those leaders from, for the most part? Get rid of the Machine, IL turns into MO or IN or IA or KY without the horses.

Don't call the ISRA unless it's to join or upgrade your membership. Call your State Senator, State Representative, Rham's office, Madigan's office, Quinn's office and Cullerton's office. Then, do it again!!

Dang I'm proud of myself. All that and I only used one (!)

If you know your state rep and state senator are pro 2A maybe some Chicago area legislators that might support this are the ones to call, besides Rham, Madigan and Quinn's offices.

Thanks for pointing that out. While he wants handguns for now, you can easily tell he's thinking about all guns (rifles as mentioned, etc.). Very good point, and I think a point to be made justifying our NO COMPROMISE position.

Hear hear! The question in my mind is not one of compromise, but making sure we don't walk away with only defensive victories. Call me cynical, but sometimes I think they like to try to get away with tossing us a bone.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-chicagos-mayor-wants-hand-gun-registration-law-passed-this-year-20120210,0,7483061.story

(KTVI-FOX2now.com)— Downstate Illinois lawmakers are already mounting a defense against Democratic Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's call for a statewide hand gun registration program.

"Requiring hard working people to pay out sixty five dollars per gun is not going to reduce the incidence of gun crime," said Republican State Representative Paul Evans of Highland. He was joined by Democratic State Representative Jerry Costello II who condemned the idea as "another attack on Illinoisans' Second Amendment rights."

"We have a gaping hole in our crime fighting strategy in Chicago and we need to close that hole," said Mayor Emanuel. " A lot of guns come into Chicago that are not purchased in Chicago," he said adding, "Our laws here in Chicago are only as good as our state laws."

This is a geographic issue not a political one said Evans who along with Costello is a co-sponsor of HB 148 to allow permits for carrying a concealed firearms.

"The reality is people who are already criminals are not gonna follow this law," said Amy King, co-owner of the Belleville Shooting Range. She speculated the proposal was an effort to divert energy gun owners have put into the conceal and carry campaign.

Tom Chanovsky, a firefighter who also works as a security guard, predicted the sixty-five dollar fee would be a real hardship for gun collectors. "Some collectors have 30 to 40 hand guns that have been passed down through family members."

Mayor Emanuel suggested the sixty-five dollar fee would be split between the State Police for administering the registration, a law enforcement data system and a national crime background check system. He compared the registration to purchasing a title for an automobile or motorcycle. "This doesn't do anything to responsible gun owners," the Mayor insisted.

But even a Chicago suburban Republican who supports the idea questions the size of the fee. State Representative Rosemary Mulligan hopes the registration will help combat what she calls a "huge" increase in shootings in Chicago.

Illinois Governor Pat Quinn declined to endorse Emanuel's proposal right away indicating he welcomed legislative debate over a statewide hand gun registry.

As I see it, this shows that we are finally getting close to the 71 votes needed to pass LTC in IL. Everytime we make great strides, Chicago tries to threaten us with some bizarre legislation, which anyone in Illinois with a brain knows will be tough to sell. Let's keep those phones ringing guys! We're almost there! :lol:

As I see it, this shows that we are finally getting close to the 71 votes needed to pass LTC in IL. Everytime we make great strides, Chicago tries to threaten us with some bizarre legislation, which anyone in Illinois with a brain knows will be tough to sell. Let's keep those phones ringing guys! We're almost there! :lol:

Thats what I like to see, positive encoruagement! We can do it you all! Rahm kicked a hornets nest..... wait,! I got a great idea for a movie! Its called "The Mayor That Kicked the Hornets Nest" lol. I know, its a weak joke but just couldnt resist! Keep fighting for our rights everyone!

The Chicago caucus has been rolling out their liberal agenda non stop throughout this legislative session! They've passed the massive 67% income tax increase, civil unions, and they've abolished the death penalty. And it's Chicago that is blocking concealed carry in Illinois. Chicago consistently drowns out the voice of downstate Illinois, and it's high time for the downstate "Blue Dog" Democrats to stand up and be heard. Otherwise, its time to elect a Republican into office that will not be a servant to the wishes of Chicago Democrats.

I sure would like to get an email address for the Mayor's office or Rahm himself. Does anyone have one? It certainly would be a nice address to send about a 100,000 emails from concerned law abiding citizens!! I have looked but can't seem to find one. I wouldn't want to overload his email server or anything like that!!

I sure would like to get an email address for the Mayor's office or Rahm himself. Does anyone have one? It certainly would be a nice address to send about a 100,000 emails from concerned law abiding citizens!! I have looked but can't seem to find one. I wouldn't want to overload his email server or anything like that!!

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/general/contact.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-12-09/chicago-statehood/51773528/1

This is what we need to be calling our reps for, to make Chicago it's own state. It would solve all of our problems. Rahm an run the city like his own kingdom and ban everything he wants without opposition and the rest of us can have the rights we want.

Is there any discussion on this anywhere? What can we do to push this? I dont see how Quinn or Chicago would oppose this, they get everything they want.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-12-09/chicago-statehood/51773528/1

This is what we need to be calling our reps for, to make Chicago it's own state. It would solve all of our problems. Rahm an run the city like his own kingdom and ban everything he wants without opposition and the rest of us can have the rights we want.

Is there any discussion on this anywhere? What can we do to push this? I dont see how Quinn or Chicago would oppose this, they get everything they want.

That isn't going to happen.

http://www.usatoday....hood/51773528/1

Is there any discussion on this anywhere? What can we do to push this? I don't see how Quinn or Chicago would oppose this, they get everything they want.

You must not have read the whole thing. The idea has been brought up several times before, according to the article, only to fizzle out. And what does Pat Quinn have to say about a "State of Chicago"?

"We're all in this together," said Quinn. "The idea of separating out and dividing us is a bum way to go. It's definitely not the Illinois way to go."

If you want to read a press release from Rep. Adam Brown that discusses this - you can find it here. It raises valid points on how different Chicago and Cook county are from the rest of the state. But, Garandfan is right. It isn't going to happen.

Our best strategy is to defeat Chicago's and Pat Quinn's anti-gun agenda piece by piece - when they are still in the idea stages if we can. And if they become bills in the legislature, we must light up the phones and bury them in letters and emails. That's how we will win.

Is there any discussion on this anywhere? What can we do to push this? I don't see how Quinn or Chicago would oppose this, they get everything they want.

You must not have read the whole thing. The idea has been brought up several times before, according to the article, only to fizzle out. And what does Pat Quinn have to say about a "State of Chicago"?

"We're all in this together," said Quinn. "The idea of separating out and dividing us is a bum way to go. It's definitely not the Illinois way to go."

If you want to read a press release from Rep. Adam Brown that discusses this - you can find it here. It raises valid points on how different Chicago and Cook county are from the rest of the state. But, Garandfan is right. It isn't going to happen.

Our best strategy is to defeat Chicago's and Pat Quinn's anti-gun agenda piece by piece - when they are still in the idea stages if we can. And if they become bills in the legislature, we must light up the phones and bury them in letters and emails. That's how we will win.

yes, because Quinn doesnt like it, we should not push for it.

Instead we should push for bills he does like. Like keeping our semi auto assault weapons and concealed carry in Illinois. That seems to be working great so far. Lets all push for the worst, most restrictive, most expensive, duty to notify, concealed carry bill in the country.

I'm sure he will go for that.

yes, because Quinn doesnt like it, we should not push for it.

Instead we should push for bills he does like. Like keeping our semi auto assault weapons and concealed carry in Illinois. That seems to be working great so far. Lets all push for the worst, most restrictive, most expensive, duty to notify, concealed carry bill in the country.

I'm sure he will go for that.

Buzz is not saying that because Quinn doesn't like it, we shouldn't push it. But that it won't go anywhere, so why waste political capital on it?? Sure, it's out there, and if it were to get legs, most folks here would go for it. But, our goal is RTC in Illinois. Spreading ourselves too thin dilutes the effort.

As to the value of HB148, the folks in New York, NYC, New Jersey, Massachusets, Maryland, California and D.C. would kill to have it as their law. MO, IN, KY, IA and WI all have good bills, but they work on them and improve them every year. HB 148 is the way it is to gain support from Law enforcement agencies, legislators, and other organizations that are working behind the scenes to garner support for it. Let's get it passed, then we'll work to make it better.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we all realize that a bill such as this is a political ploy & isn't about to become law. I have a hard time taking a whoopie cushion seriously. But hey, count the votes.

I hope you realize that we aren't all here to exercise our internet tough guy muscles and chatter away all day. We are here to promote favorable gun bills (primarily RTC) and oppose unfavorable bills, no matter how far-fetched they may be.

Vigilance is the price of Liberty. If we all go back to sleep and let our elected officials act in our name without our oversight, we'll be New Jersey (with respect to gun rights at least) in no time.

Archived