FOID revocation question

I had my FOID revoked due to Mental health admission. It was all connected to a bad medical problem that medicine and Doctors did nothing to help, made worse by this COVID thing. Anyway the entire thing is very embarrassing to me, Im an older man with no mental health History or Legal history. I wasn't arrested, I even got the gun back, but broken down by a medical problem is did make suicidal gestures and take responsibility for them. The legal system was never involved and I have no criminal history.

Thing is I have a line of people backing me a mile long. Friends,employers, family, trainers, Doctors, all who have know me for many years and I have no doubt I'll match the legal requirements to get my FOID back. But I have never been thru this process and find it kind of complicated. Any help would be appreciated.

At some point you will likely hear from a person with the screen name of Molly B, she is an incredible resource. In order to better assist Molly, could you please let her know if the issue was less or more than 5 yeas ago.

If the cops weren't involved then how did your FOID get revoked? There must have been some sort of interaction with "the system" if your card got yanked as well as your firearm.

The more information you can provide the better. We aren't here to judge, only to provide information to better assist you figure out what your options are.

IL mental health facilities and hospitals are required to report mental health admissions for FOID card holders.

Wow, that would really stop someone from seeking help. I wonder how the doctor or health facility knows the person has a FOID/CCL, do they ask and it's up to the patient to divulge that information or is some sort of alert mechanisim triggered when the patients SSN is entered into the computer system?

Just thinking out loud, no need to waste time answering that.

I still tell everyone how helpful you are Molly and this forum is general. If it wasn't for you I would totally be on my 7th month waiting.

How do they know you are a Foid holder ? Do they report everyone ?

Yes. Its part of the FOID Act. Specifically 430 ILCS 65/8.1©

© The Department of Human Services shall, in the form and manner prescribed by the Department of State Police, report all information collected under subsection (b ) of Section 12 of the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Confidentiality Act for the purpose of determining whether a person who may be or may have been a patient in a mental health facility is disqualified under State or federal law from receiving or retaining a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, or purchasing a weapon.

Archived