Switchblad/knife laws

blck10th

No. They passed law to ok switchblades if you have a FOID...I think you are correct being 2017. Last year a bill was introduced to remove FOID requirement but it went nowhere. Also since there is no state preemption, local ordinances can restrict or ban.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=100-0082

(e) Exemptions.

(2) The provision of paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of

this Section prohibiting the sale, manufacture, purchase,

possession, or carrying of any knife, commonly referred to

as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens

automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring

or other device in the handle of the knife, does not apply

to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by

the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity

engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing

switchblade knives.

(Source: P.A. 99-29, eff. 7-10-15.)

Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon

becoming law.

Effective Date: 8/11/2017

Switchblade or knife does not even appear in the FCCL act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

100 pages?

As much as the Dems may want to repeal it (I'm still not sure they understood what they were voting on LOL), I dont think there has been any repeal bill even submitted.

The guy to me doesn’t even seem sure of a bill. I’m not sure he understands how laws work.

But he’s saying it’s on the site and I’ve been searching the ISP site for a pdf file with new laws or a change in the previous law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's under the UUW Statute. 720 ILCS 5/24-1 (e).

(e) Exemptions.

(1) Crossbows, Common or Compound bows and

Underwater Spearguns are exempted from the definition of ballistic knife as defined in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Section.

(2) The provision of paragraph (1) of subsection (a)

of this Section prohibiting the sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, does not apply to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives.

(e) Exemptions.

Underwater Spearguns are exempted from the definition of ballistic knife as defined in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Section.

of this Section prohibiting the sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, does not apply to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives.

Reading this with my small intellect it is still legal if you have a valid foid card. Or I’m just bad with reading comprehension.

(e) Exemptions.

Reading this with my small intellect it is still legal if you have a valid foid card. Or I’m just bad with reading comprehension.

No, you're correct. FOID = legal switchblade.

(e) Exemptions.

No, you're correct. FOID = legal switchblade.

I thought so. But there’s been a lot of BS in IL. It’s been hard to keep up at times.

Thanks Everyone for clearing it up!

I was under the impression switchblade knives were legal to own, but illegal to carry. Am I wrong then?

I was under the impression switchblade knives were legal to own, but illegal to carry. Am I wrong then?

Yes you are wrong. Read the statute I copied above. It clearly states that you can carry a switchblade.

But...as I wrote above, there is no state preemption so local municipalities can still enact ordinances banning or restricting. Theres a separate thread calling out places that have restrictions.

Archived