Neighbors and guns

Milesvdustin

When it comes to disputes between neighbors things can go really wrong. ID Discovery has a series dedicated to it. https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/fear-thy-neighbor/

So be very careful in dealing with this guy.

A local man recently shot a neighbor to death after a confrontation over the neighbor kid throwing a rock at the shooter's car. Think about that. I agree that throwing rocks at someone's car is uncool and it'd piss me off to no end. But, I'm not willing to resort to violence over it...but, apparently, some people will. They'll resort to violence over petty things and you should be prepared to defend yourself or become a statistic.

I have a neighbor a few doors down who has spent time in prison for drug trafficking. He's also apparently involved in a biker gang of some sort. They're coming and going with their Harleys at all hours. They're all done up in their leathers which have the gang's name and various ominous images. The only thing I've been able to find out about the gang is that they don't allow members who are police. I don't know how reliable this information is. Needless to say, I stay out of his way and appear as friendly as I possibly can. But, I keep one eye on him.

The irony is, there's a DEA agent living across the street from him.

When it comes to disputes between neighbors things can go really wrong. ID Discovery has a series dedicated to it. https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/fear-thy-neighbor/

So be very careful in dealing with this guy.

A local man recently shot a neighbor to death after a confrontation over the neighbor kid throwing a rock at the shooter's car. Think about that. I agree that throwing rocks at someone's car is uncool and it'd piss me off to no end. But, I'm not willing to resort to violence over it...but, apparently, some people will. They'll resort to violence over petty things and you should be prepared to defend yourself or become a statistic.

I have a neighbor a few doors down who has spent time in prison for drug trafficking. He's also apparently involved in a biker gang of some sort. They're coming and going with their Harleys at all hours. They're all done up in their leathers which have the gang's name and various ominous images. The only thing I've been able to find out about the gang is that they don't allow members who are police. I don't know how reliable this information is. Needless to say, I stay out of his way and appear as friendly as I possibly can. But, I keep one eye on him.

The irony is, there's a DEA agent living across the street from him.

That just might be by design.

Just gonna be honest here. If you tried "bullying" me with disturbing the peace calls and the like, I'd make sure I was all legal, safe, etc., and me and all my friends would shoot non stop until you left. For good.

Keeping and bearing arms is a constitutional right. There is little regulation outside of incorporated areas, and little can be done to curb a legal activity.

Your best bet is to swallow your pride and pass that olive branch. You may have to work at it. But fighting with a neighbor using law enforcement is far less preferable than working it out. It would also be much less hypocritical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is a constitutional right. That doesn't mean it can be practiced recklessly or without responsibility/consequence. Putting the tannerite aside for a minute...if the man is surrounded on all sides by structures owned by other people, that's too bad. Really sorry about your loss of shooting ground. It was nice while it lasted, eh? Those property owners' rights don't trump your second amendment rights...but they do trump your right to shoot onto their property. That's especially true if we are talking about the potential for property damage and/or injury or death. The reality is, this neighbor has been using other people's property for his recreation without consequence or compensation up until now. He should be the one thanking our friend here for the free use of his land as a backstop up until now.

No one is leaving "for good". Even if our friend were driven away by this disagreeable person, I presume someone else will buy the home and move in...and their opinion of the situation will be EXACTLY the same. Then what?

The fact that this person is disagreeable, has a lot of guns, and has pleaded down felonies makes him someone who is likely to do things to make his point that might go beyond the pale. Until proven otherwise, I'd regard him as a suspicious and unstable character. I would definitely inform the sheriff about what's going on. It is likely that the sheriff already knows who this person is and his activities.

Did you see the "safe and legal" part?

The point is simple. A neighbor can be 10x more of a pain and doing nothing legally actionable than he was before the law was called.

I don't think anyone in America does not have nuisance neighbors. Be it the guy across the street from me who is... Oh I can't think of the PC term for "lazier than a pig in excrement on a hot day." If I'm lucky, he mows his entire lawn once a year (does half of the front yard, maybe the entire thing but never the back yard). Seems to think he still lives on a farm and can do what he wants. Next door neighbor bow hunts and drags deer carcasses around to the back of his house, leaves it in the middle of his back yard for all of the scavengers to pick it clean. Neighbors on the other side, she's a retired schoolteacher and when I got into a conversation with her about Hillary Clinton, I brought up how Soros has been her puppet master and how Soros got rich by selling out his own people followed by nearly destroying multiple currencies through rampant shorting of the currency in question. She proceeded to ask me, in possibly the most condescending manner, if I "learned that in grade school history." No, you Hillary humper. I learned it in my graduate economics and finance coursework through the lost art of reading. I've got another house with FOUR GENERATIONS living in it. Of white people. Not Mexicans or anyone who comes from a country where that's the norm. Another house was bought up by HUD and turned into Section 8 for some Muslims who keep their blinds closed 24/7, refuse to even look at neighbors. And then there's the neighbor who called the police on me after seeing me carrying openly while cutting my grass, putting me through a whole lot of unnecessary BS. Every time I've rocked the boat with neighbors who anger me (finding a few piles of their dog's crap on my lawn, yard high weeds, blood trails in my lawn, whatever), it does no good and ends up angering them more. And that's after I try to work it out with them and am met with the typical middle finger followed by "It's my house, I do what I want." Forget about those restrictive covenants they are bound to, explicitly stating they shall not do precisely what they have been doing when they bought the houses. So I'll eat the loss they're causing me insofar as my property value since no one wants to live across the street from a house that has Christmas decorations up from December until October. Awful neighbors are about as American as apple pie.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone in America does not have nuisance neighbors. Be it the guy across the street from me who is... Oh I can't think of the PC term for "lazier than a pig in excrement on a hot day." If I'm lucky, he mows his entire lawn once a year (does half of the front yard, maybe the entire thing but never the back yard). Seems to think he still lives on a farm and can do what he wants. Next door neighbor bow hunts and drags deer carcasses around to the back of his house, leaves it in the middle of his back yard for all of the scavengers to pick it clean. Neighbors on the other side, she's a retired schoolteacher and when I got into a conversation with her about Hillary Clinton, I brought up how Soros has been her puppet master and how Soros got rich by selling out his own people followed by nearly destroying multiple currencies through rampant shorting of the currency in question. She proceeded to ask me, in possibly the most condescending manner, if I "learned that in grade school history." No, you Hillary humper. I learned it in my graduate economics and finance coursework through the lost art of reading. I've got another house with FOUR GENERATIONS living in it. Of white people. Not Mexicans or anyone who comes from a country where that's the norm. Another house was bought up by HUD and turned into Section 8 for some Muslims who keep their blinds closed 24/7, refuse to even look at neighbors. And then there's the neighbor who called the police on me after seeing me carrying openly while cutting my grass, putting me through a whole lot of unnecessary BS. Every time I've rocked the boat with neighbors who anger me (finding a few piles of their dog's crap on my lawn, yard high weeds, blood trails in my lawn, whatever), it does no good and ends up angering them more. And that's after I try to work it out with them and am met with the typical middle finger followed by "It's my house, I do what I want." Forget about those restrictive covenants they are bound to, explicitly stating they shall not do precisely what they have been doing when they bought the houses. So I'll eat the loss they're causing me insofar as my property value since no one wants to live across the street from a house that has Christmas decorations up from December until October. Awful neighbors are about as American as apple pie. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

sounds like taking that loss would be well worth it skinnyb!

The only thing I've been able to find out about the gang is that they don't allow members who are police. I don't know how reliable this information is. Needless to say, I stay out of his way and appear as friendly as I possibly can. But, I keep one eye on him.

You are 100% correct. 1%er clubs do not accept members with ties to law enforcement. The COC will not recognize charters of clubs that accept law enforcement. The best thing you can do is to ignore them.

I don't think anyone in America does not have nuisance neighbors.

Lol. My wife's cousin lives in a newer subdivision. Houses are maybe 250K (Indy). Guy in the house behind her mows his yard once a month...barefoot. His two dogs on chains 24/7 only stop barking to swallow.

Guy next to him has two teenage boys that practice hitting golf balls against their privacy fence. Lots are 75"x 110'. Every 3rd golf ball goes over the fence and hits her house. They pulled the slats out of a section of fence so they can pass thru to retrieve them. Guy next door to her is a former secret service agent (or claims he was). He comes over into her yard with a trash bag, picking up her kids football, frisbee and tricycle and sets the bag and trike on the front porch. "It makes the neighborhood look slummy" he tells her. Couple across the street are foster parents to 3 kids and parents to 3 more. Sent out of the house after breakfast and not allowed back in until after three. They roam the neighborhood, inviting themselves inside neighbors houses, garages, backyards. The only time the mother and father are outside is to take their Dane across the street to poop on the grass between the sidewalk and street...of my wife's cousin's house.

That is reason #39 why I live in an area that my truck is in 4th gear before I reach my next door neighbor. It isn't that I dislike people; I just prefer my own company more.

It's getting to the point where we wanna buy some land in a secluded area and (ideally, not realistically) be left alone. If I wanna shoot guns on my property, then I'll shoot guns on my property. Same goes for any legal activity. And I won't have to put up with nonsense like these 40 year old grandparents that I have living down the street from me or their kids out in the road drinking on days ending in "y" such as "Wednesday." Oh and don't get me started about all of the lazy dog owners around here. I have a dog so I don't care about number one or number two on my lawn as long as #2 ends up going home with the owner. That doesn't happen often enough.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived